z

Young Writers Society

An Abstract Life: Binding

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 am
Daisuki says...

I live inside my own head, save for the moments when no one is around. I am the howling wind in the night. I am free myself and freeing to others, if only they will accept me. I keep the swift company, have long conversations with the air, and dance in the cold shine of stars. Sometimes I feel wings beneath the skin on my back, longing for freedom and light, yet my feet still touch the earth just enough to keep me sane.

Still, my world seems to not be like others. While they gather in groups – listen to music, talk, interact – I find myself lost elsewhere. Silence is my language, touches and gazes are my words, though I have yet to make them strong enough to reach another being. I simply leap into my world and fall there as long as my breath and my life will last. When I do slow down occasionally, my physical sight is still blurred at the edges - like a burnt piece of parchment. I sometimes imagine I am peering out at reality from the shadows, through the shadows.

Yet even through my hazy vision, there is a boy I see in the park sometimes. Our auras spark whenever we cross paths, as if there is something important I should realize about him. Lately, my mind has been sore trying to figure out what it is, so I have to lay the thought to rest now. In the meantime, I watch. I notice those things about him that are different from me, yet the same. The look he gets when he stares at the sky or at the grass, that unfocused look of one who is utterly focused – it reminds me of myself.

I once saw him at sunset, when the last light melts like blood being swallowed. He looked about, searching to see if there was anyone around. Then, at an admirable speed, he scaled the nearest tree as high as he could, twigs and branches barring his way to test his worthiness. As if determined to prove just that, he pushed on to the upper limbs and chose a comfortable spot as his reward.

His jacket was ink-black as his hair, and from it he pulled a single hardback book. Adjusting himself in the nook of the tree and partly hidden by the dense leaves, he leaned against the trunk and read. A soft smile rested on his lips and he absentmindedly patted the branch next to him in thanks. His bangs blew back with a passing breeze as he was lost in whatever he was reading.

I watched him for the good part of an hour, as time has no meaning to me. It passes sometimes slowly, sometimes swiftly, but in those moments it seemed to barely move at all. The world disappeared around as I imagined what he was thinking, feeling. Not even needing to close my eyes, I felt the light-shadows cast by the leaves rustle on my skin; I heard the whispers of the branches as they sung a lullaby. The smooth power and age of the trunk on my back made me sink deeper into the life of the tree, to press my cheek against it and share happily in all its memories. A huge longing swelled within me for both him and for what he was enjoying.

Gold light from the dawn’s first rays was thrown on my face as I rushed to the public library the morning after. Birds were barely singing yet it was so early. Even flower blossoms scolded me and told me to go back to bed, scoffing at my insolence. I stuck my tongue out at them, letting their words go unheeded. However, I ended up having to wait until nearly noon – the library does not open early on Saturdays. I spent this time peering into the world of the dew drops collected on the bodies of the winged lions laying outside the library doors. The eyes of these creatures expressed great wisdom, yet also true empathy. They were the best listeners, and yet their conversations made me both think deeply and laugh lightly. Paws crossed contentedly; our bond was like no other I had ever known.

When we were not listening to silence, I stroked their grand stone manes and thought to them how ridiculous words were.

I told them how I didn’t understand words. People depended on them too much, I said. The lions agreed in unison, twitching their tails without movement. I went on to explain how other senses can be used instead, such as touch and sight. Why say, ‘I love you’ when an embrace can convey the emotions it would take a thousand words to describe? Plus, I added, words can be empty. Words cheat. You can say, ‘I’m sorry’ and not mean it at all. The lions nodded their heads quietly and interjected their own thoughts once in a while.

I leaned against one of the lions’ flank, pressing my face against the cold marble. Images flooded into my mind from the stone and the sights it had beheld – of grandparents, children, everyone aged in between. Laughter echoed on the walls, the very building itself. Past occurrences and emotions were all etched into the library which was lifeless without them, yet with them truly alive.

See, I sighed happily, it would take hours to explain that in words.

When the doors finally opened, I breathed in awe at the familiar scent of pent-up knowledge, of a million facts and images just waiting to be accepted. I wanted to be accepted too, so I skipped down the aisles with my eyes closed and waited for something lonely to need me.

I did not wait long. My feet suddenly stopped in front of a shelf, fiction section, young adult. A book titled, Fly With Me loomed in front of my face, calling sorrowfully. I reached out tenderly, answered its call, embraced it tightly to my chest as a bright smile spread across my face. The Librarian who helped me check out must have known how much I wanted to read that book, as she scanned, stamped, and handed it to me faster than I had ever seen anyone before. I admired her grace and speed as the book pages fluttered in her hands, and smiled at her on my way out.

I showed the lions my new friend, and they silently growled in appreciation. I was delighted at their approval. My feet – or were they wings? – carried me swiftly to the park, yet I stopped suddenly at the sight of him already there. I hesitated a moment too much.

You want him, yes? I asked myself.

Yes. More than anything, I replied, absolutely sure.

Then you have to greet him. Use words this time. Remember what they are?

Vaguely… I don’t want to though.

Why not?

I have a feeling – that maybe he’ll understand, even without silly words.

He’s not like you. No one is like you.

I know. But can’t someone be similar?

Hmm… I suppose, I reluctantly agreed.

I forced my feet forward one at a time, convincing them repeatedly that they needed to move. My eyes were so focused on the ground that I nearly ran into the tree in which he sat. My head jerked up, my mind jolted. I could see him up there through the branches and leaves – a spot of black among emerald and russet. I looked down again, not sure if I could really approach him. Even if I could, would I remember how to talk? It had been so long. I felt now that the only word I truly knew was my name.

It was hopeless to think that he’d somehow look down and notice me here. He was too deeply into the book, too entwined with the tree. I wanted to call out, but no words came. My mouth was open; the words my heart wanted to say were blocked by my mind. In the end, he was hit with a small pebble and finally looked down. I registered in his senses, and he descended the tree in fluid movements. Who is he? I asked myself. He was halfway down the trunk now, leaping to the next limb and disturbing the silence. The last few branches he skipped, and hurled himself earthward, sending tremors through the ground. They reached me loud and clear.

They said, I am the homeless, the forlorn. I am the moon that throws silver and sighs in harmony with the rustling of trees. My dark side is known, but cast out and rejected. I keep the silent company, I lay with the wind and hold the life-force of the sky.

They said, Do you still want me?

I approached him. Yes.

He looked at me. What do you want? his expression asked. I was about to take out my book in answer when I looked at his eyes. More specifically, the color of his eyes. They were gold… no, honey? Amber? Some bright, pure hue. Their radiance matched that of the moon, the light they gave off was comforting yet brilliant. They held flames inside of them, the colors in those irises leaping and twirling like the heartbeat of the wind. My own heart fluttered and twitched oddly. What was it doing in there?

I looked down at my chest, but I must have appeared bashful to him, because he took my arm and led me to a bench under the tree. He opened his mouth to speak.

“Who are you?”

I tried to reply, I really did. I knew the words I wanted to say - I remembered them! But they refused to come. They crammed and stuffed my throat so tight I could not squeeze even one out. What a fool he must think me, with my mouth gaping open and my hand on my throat.

“Are you mute?” he asked. It was close enough to the truth, so I nodded.

He leaned back on the bench, his posture straight and strong. He tilted his head up to the azure and white above, the wind playing with his hair as it danced by. His expression was peaceful at first, but as time passed in unknown amounts and he sank deeper into his own thoughts, that quiet face of his twisted into an agonized expression. He clutched his shirt near his chest with one hand, and used the other to steady himself on the bench. Turmoil inside him was fighting to get out, but he wouldn’t let it. He held it back in a way that suggested weariness, experience, and regret. The moment passed.

“Can I tell you something?”

I nodded slowly. I was so happy that he would talk, that he did not just get up and walk away. I watched his chest rise and fall in a deep breath, and then... he spoke. He talked long and hard, the syllables rushing up from inside him, relieved to be in the open at last.

These were not his exact words, but this is what I heard. The sun and the earth had rejected him. Those that made up his sides, those that had shaped him through his life threw him out because he had wobbled in his orbit one too many times. His mistakes were the reason they had told him to leave. He was banished to wander in empty space, to suffocate. They didn’t care! He was lost in life. Buildings loomed over him, and streets led him only to dull brick walls and countless dead ends.

Right now he camped in his friend's backyard, and he worked at a store across the street. Any extra time he had, he would come to the park, talk to the trees. They listened, and they sympathized. He said that he could practically hear them growing, feel them understand him, see how they rooted for him. Go! they would encourage in their endless chorus of cheers. He and his books would be here for hours.

When he spilled out his life to me, I took every sentence, every feeling, and stored them away. I was eternally grateful, even though I knew I wasn’t the reason for this. There was nothing special about me that had caused him to talk, it was simply the pressure of the words inside him. I was just here right as they became too much. Yet, I was still ecstatic to be the one able to listen. Perhaps it was the reason that he didn’t know me, that I was a complete stranger. Perhaps that he thought he’d never see me again, and who cares what someone outside of your life thinks about you?

When he finished, he was panting, but his heart seemed a little less burdened.

I touched his shoulder lightly, and he grabbed my hand with startling quickness, staring at me with sorrowful gold eyes. I pressed feelings towards him, I shoved any compassion I had his way. He got my message. He saw the comfort I was desperately trying to give him and he accepted it.

“Thank you.”

No, thank you, I wanted to say.

“Do you come here often?” he asked.

I nodded in reply.

“I have to go to work. Maybe I’ll see you around?”

I smiled. I hoped my smile said, I’ll look forward to it.

Time again flowed by in its endless river, the ripples and pace of which I do not keep track. Every once and a while I would stop being the hot winds of the desert, carrying sand and dust. I would pause on the icy tundra, dropping the snow and ice shards I held. I would run through the tepid, the mist, and the overcast into the rain of green light. I would cause the grass blades to kiss each other, give voice to the trees dotted about. I would swirl around, looking for that boy in all the places I'd seen him before.

Sometimes when I did this, it would be at sunrise and I would have the yawning light flowing through me. In other instances, it would be the middle of the day when I usually hesitated at the fierce sun piercing through my being. A hundred times it seemed I did this, in a thousand different atmospheres. All I found was a glimpse of his fleeting presense.

My wanderings grew meaningless as they increased in number until an evening when the stars winked above, and the dark sky floated weightlessly over everything. The moon cast light, and in doing so called forth shadows. One of these shadows was violent, throwing its weight around in anguish and pain.

Grass threaded through my toes with every step I took and wind flooded the night. I saw him raise the small knife he had. I watched as he hacked away in rage at the tree he deeply loved and cared for. But the tree was not the source of the anger. No, the fury came from within. A void stood in the center of his chest, one which I could clearly feel even far away as I was. It was suffocating him, pulling in all security and hope. The air there was stagnant, there was neither silver light nor dancing whispers. None of his comforts were present - the emptiness had stolen them.

I wanted to help, I wanted to reach out and blow the sadness away, heal the pain. Yet how can you treat a wound you know nothing about? I could only watch as he and his shadow dealt frantic scars to the thing he adored, probably the thing he loved most in his life.

I stared with my most penetrating gaze, trying to pinpoint the exact cause of this. I was suddenly aware of time, I felt it like never before. It was rushing from all sides, it frantically told me to hurry. The time was fleeting, there was not enough of it. If he were to go on, where would his rage take him? He couldn’t be allowed to sink any further – he couldn’t.

The cause seemed to have been narrowed down to two things - his current self or his past self.

He didn’t know where he was going in life as of now, yet wasn’t he content? The serenity as he sat embraced by the branches, that couldn’t be faked. Though he was poor, though he had no family or home that society could accept, he had one that did something more important – accepted him. His current self had found a place to belong, a life worth living. So he wasn't angry with his now self - this rage must transcend time.

I didn’t know what mistakes he had made in the past. I felt I needn’t care. As each of my footsteps took me closer to his figure – consumed by rage past the point of thinking clearly – I realized I could die in a few seconds. I knew nothing about this boy. His level of insanity could go well beyond mine and it would be too easy to kill me or rape me and walk away. It was night, we were all alone, and I doubted that I could even get a scream to come out of my mouth.

And yet, as I weighed the risks of approaching him and not, I realized that I could not afford to walk away. I felt that if the flame within him was put out, I would surely die with it. So I did what none other should do, and what I shouldn’t have either.

I could hear his rasping breath. I could see the moonlight glinting off the sweat beading on his face. His eyes were lost inside of him, the gold irises dull and unaware. I touched his shoulder in the exact place I had when we first met, and he jolted, turning on me.

I expected to think, Will I die? But instead it was-

Will he die?

He was startled, and I knew my mistake straight away. It was not good to startle someone wielding a knife and half unconscious. The blade swung my way, and I saw my own blood silhouetted against the moon.

The book that was previously in my jacket fell next to me. Fly With Me now laid on the ground, flattening the dew and grass beneath it. Meanwhile, he stood over me, panting, with his face contorted and terrifying. I wanted to scream, I wanted to run away. Terror was pounding in my ears and if the courage from the trees and the wind hadn’t swept through me in that moment, I might have fled. As it was, the roots just underground seemed to help me up, and I soon stood facing the cause of both my fleeting fear and my eternal want.

A rivulet of blood ran slick down my cheek, and yet I held out my hand, also stained. Blackness and pinpricks of light fell upon both of us from above. Our very souls were blown by invisible currents, not seen but understood. Moon and wind, both insane, one free and one breaking free.

Bewildered, he stared and I matched it. The knife slipped to the ground and so did he, yet on his knees he still took my outstretched hand more gently than I thought possible from the same person who was who he was just a moment ago. He pressed the offered hand to his face, and his tears washed away the blood.

We will work, said the wind to the moon, together. You will show me how to wake up more from my dreams, and how to use those silly things called words. I will teach you to forgive yourself, and to dance without regrets.

The moon replied, Yes, and shone with a radiance not possibly expressed in mere words. Rather, he told me his willingness through tears and a night spent back to back, reading by moonlight in a scarred but forgiving tree.
Last edited by Daisuki on Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am, edited 17 times in total.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 am
View Likes
HorsebackWriter says...

I felt what you were saying, I really did. No piece on here has moved me as much as yours, has ever made me feel this deeply. What you captured, was amazing. It was like you read my mind and turned it into a story. But I didn't get this one sentance,

I am free myself and freeing to others, if only they would accept me.

I get what you're trying to say, but, to me, it's not coming across very clear, it's hard for me to understand.

But, don't stop writing. This is the only piece that made me feel lik someone understood me for once, and I thank you.
"So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know it's last master was Disarmed? Beacause if it does...I am the true master of the Elder Wand."

"And quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."

~Harry Potter

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 am
Idunn Sofie says...

Aw, this was really amazing! It was such a good read. You have a real talent for making thoughts that are just feelings and surreal experiences into words and sentences!

It was like she was living life through a dream, never quite waking up, and never quite caring enough about what's outside of her dream to participate in society. I loved the whole tribute to nature you had going on, your descriptions of what nature feels like were beautiful!

It was a little ironic that you used nothing but words to communicate her view on the matter of them, but still, it was the only way you could convey it! Either way it was a good job on getting her feelings out so clearly when they are so complicated and subnormal for us "normal" people. I still think it's easy to emphazise though, I think we all have out moments where words are not sufficient.

The scitzo part was so good! I liked it very much, and I think it fitted her perfectly! When one has no company, one needs to make it for oneselves, right?

I don't think you need an open mind to read this, I think reading this opens your mind! And that is well done!

This was a really magnificent read, keep it up!
Last edited by Idunn Sofie on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I came to this world with nothing,
and I leave with nothing but love
Everything else is just borrowed.

141 Reviews

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:11 pm
Daisuki says...

Hmmm... My mum read this when I was gone, except she jumped in right at the 'rape me or kill me' part and was like, "What the-?" So she read the rest of it, and said it wasn't as disturbing as she had thought it to be. :) Why does that happen so often? People always seem to start reading at the worst or most awkward part possible. It's really irritating.

I was really hoping to get featured with this one, but maybe I'll do better next time. I think I'm going to write a couple other short stories about these same characters, because I really enjoyed them. What do you think?

-Dai

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:22 pm
theotherone says...

Hello Dai, I'm here as requested! :)

I'll begin with the nitpicks and then go on with my overall impression of your story.
Then comma, at an admirable speed comma, he scaled the nearest tree as high as he could, twigs and branches barring his way to test his worthiness.

Birds were barely singing yet comma, it was so early.

You want him, yes? A voice inside of me asked.

Why not?

Hmm… I suppose, I reluctantly agreed.

I changed the first part of the conversation, since it was a little bit confusing when she 'talking to herself'. I think it's better, and less confusing if you make that other part of herself she's arguing with an voice inside her head. In my opinion, she's not considering that voice herself, just some other part of her, right?
What was it doing in there?

This story was really good. I loved how you've portrayed the MC by the way she was thinking and your writing style. I must say that the way you've chosen to tell us this story is rather unbelievable, since it goes so well with the way I've imagined the MC throughout the story. I liked it. :) I only have one question for you. Did she see the guy after he told her everything about his life? I mean, did she see him again before we was mad? If so, you might want to clarify that. Like, say that she hadn't seen him since, if she didn't. Or that she was accustomed to seeing his silhouette in the park, to show us she did see him in between the two scenes.

Great job, and again, this was wonderful! :)

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

Reviews: 0
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:57 am
LinhWIn says...

Guess who it is :DDD

Schizophrenic Schizophrenic Schizophrenic Schizophrenic

^-^

141 Reviews

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 am
Daisuki says...

If you like this, please click like! Okay, I did it. I humbled myself and asked for you to click the button. That was very difficult for me. But only click if you actually like it. I was featured for mere minutes, and I would love to be again, but only if this story deserves it.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:34 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Daisuki! Here I am, to review as requested. I apologize for not replying sooner.

Well, you have done it again. This was truly lovely. I enjoyed every word of it, in all honesty. You have a real knack for creating original characters, but I think my favorite thing about your writing so far is your ability to write small observations of life in a unique way. Sometimes I get a paragraph of yours and I think to myself, "Huh, that's so true" and I love that. Sometimes I just "get" it, in a way that I cannot convey with words, which is what your story is about in the first place. I loved it.

I don't find much to critique with this piece, actually. Your grammar is excellent. Your biggest issue is the inconsistancy in the quality and voice of your sentences.

First, the quality. Some of your sentences are very verbose, when they could be more succinct. When you make a sentence longer than it has to be, your writing becomes flowery and it makes it look like you are trying too hard to be poetic. Of course, this character is poetic, but sometimes it just comes off a little too dramatic to make her a relatable person.

I once saw him at sunset, when the last drop of intense radiance melts below the horizon like blood being swallowed.

This, for example, is one of those lines. It has the potential to be beautiful; I love the blood portion, but there are too many flowery words to make this sentence easy to understand. If you broke the sentence up more, it would fit better with the rest of the piece. Keep an eye out for sentences that feel too long. If you feel like you are typing something too flowery, stop yourself. Your natural instincts are the best method for catching stuff like that. Also be careful that your prose actually makes sense. Sometimes I get the feeling that you are trying to protray something with lovely language, but it comes off awkward.

He didn’t know where he was going in life as of now, yet wasn’t he content? The serenity as he sat embraced by the branches, that couldn’t be faked. Though he was poor, though he had no family or home that society could accept, he had one that did something more important – accepted him. His current self had found a place to belong, a life worth living. So this rage must transcend time.

Like with this: I'm not sure what this is about. His frustration or his lack of his place on Earth? Be especially careful when trying to protray emotions like in the paragraph above, because these are moments where readers get to relate to a character.( does that make sense? )

Second, the voice. This character's voice is so unique, so interesting, and so distinct, that when she divulges out of her way of thinking it becomes startlingly apparent. This is just a small nitpick (like I said, not much to critique) but keep an eye out for words that you think your character wouldn't normally say or think. For example

I thought she should be a record holder for that kind of thing, and smiled at her on my way out.

I just found this odd, because she seems so in her own world, that she would use something as modern as "record holder" for a comparison. This is probably just a nitpick from a crotchety writer, but ask yourself if that is something she would think to herself.

And

Right now he lived in a tent in his buddy’s backyard,

Does she seem like the type to say, "buddy"? To me, it seemed out of place. Consider revising. Other than these, your prose is beautiful. Just look for inconsistancies and moments where you sound too flowery, because it ruins the integrity of your great piece.

And, um, not much else, lol. Let's see.

:arrow: Book titles should be italisized, for a more professional look.

:arrow: I would like to know more about the MC's current situation. Does she have family? At first, I thought she was a ghost because she seems to have ties to nowhere, yet she has clothes on her back and she seems to be healthy. A little more specification would be nice. Does she have a home? How old is she if she is out on her own?

Well, that's it. This was fantastic. It made me tear up at the end! I think the biggest problem are the pieces of this that sound like you are trying too hard to protray something with fancy words, and it comes off as a mosaic of language: pretty, but no distinct meaning. Besides that, it's perfect. I'm so glad I got the chance to read this. I hope you never stop writing. I'm sorry if this review was awful, but it was the best I could do!

Have a great day,

Esther
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 am
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey! Finally I have my review. I did it a little different than I normally do. Usually, I go through the nitpicks and then have the overall comments at the end. BUT I actually liked SO MUCH of this that I had to re-review just to point out the specific moments that made me smile. I have to say that in my 200+ reviews on this site, I’ve never really done this before.

I live inside my own head, save for the moments when no one is around. I am the howling wind in the night. I am free myself and freeing to others, if only they will accept me. I keep the swift company, have long conversations with the air, and dance in the cold shine of stars. Sometimes I feel wings beneath the skin on my back, longing for freedom and light, yet my feet still touch the earth just enough to keep me sane. The beginning was alright, until this last sentence which really popped out to me. Something about being able to almost feel wings itching under your skin really hit me.
Still, my world seems to not be like others. While they gather in groups – listen to music, talk, interact – I find myself lost elsewhere. Silence is my language, touches and gazes are my words, though I have yet to make them strong enough to reach another being Very insightful. I had to read this sentence twice to understand it fully, but it‘s amazing. . I simply leap into my realm and fall there as long as my breath and my life will last Personally, I didn‘t understand the realm part . When I do slow down occasionally, my physical sight is still blurred at the edges - like a burnt piece of parchment. I sometimes imagine I am peering out at reality from the shadows, through the shadows. Again, the last two sentences really hit me. The burnt parchment part was genius, I would’ve never thought of that.
Yet even through my hazy vision, there is a boy I see in the park sometimes. Our auras spark whenever we cross paths as if there is something important I should realize about him. Lately, my mind has been sore trying to figure out what it is, so I have to lay the thought to rest now. In the meantime, I watch. I notice those things about him that are different from me, yet the same. The look he gets when he stares at the sky or at the grass, that unfocused look of one who is utterly focused – it reminds me of myself. Yet again, the last sentence jumps out. This was probably my favorite line in the whole story.
I once saw him at sunset, when the last drop of intense radiance melts below the horizon like blood being swallowed. He looked about, searching to see if there was anyone around. Then, at an admirable speed, he scaled the nearest tree as high as he could, twigs and branches barring his way to test his worthiness. As if determined to prove just that, he pushed on to the upper limbs and chose a comfortable spot as his reward.
His jacket was ink-black as his hair, and from it he pulled a single hardback book. Adjusting himself in the nook of the tree and partly hidden by the dense leaves, he leaned against the trunk and read. A soft smile rested on his lips and he absentmindedly patted the branch next to him in thanks. His bangs blew back with a passing breeze and should the ‘and’ be ‘as’? It could work both ways, but to me it sounds better like ‘His bangs blew back with a passing breeze AS he was lost in whatever he was reading.‘ he was lost in whatever he was reading. I really love his description. It’s not over-the-top. He’s not bookwormy, and he’s not super-cool guy that just jumps around climbing trees. He feels like an actual character.
I watched him for the good part of an hour, as time has no meaning to me. It passes sometimes slowly, sometimes swiftly, but in those moments it seemed to barely move at all. The world disappeared around as I imagined what he was thinking, feeling. Not even needing to close my eyes, I felt the light-shadows cast by the leaves rustle on my skin; I heard the whispers of the branches as they sung a lullaby. The smooth power and age of the trunk on my back made me sink deeper into the life of the tree, to press my cheek against it and share happily in all its memories. A huge longing swelled within me for both him and for what he was enjoying.
It’s just a tiny bit confusing at first that she’s imagining being in the boy’s position, but it comes clear at the end of the paragraph.
Gold light from the dawn’s first rays was thrown on my face as I rushed to the public library the morning after. Birds were barely singing yet it was so early. Even flower blossoms scolded me and told me to go back to bed, scoffing at my insolence. I stuck my tongue out at them, letting their words go unheeded At first I didn‘t really like the line about the flowers scolding you, it didn’t seem to make any sense. But the line about you sticking your tongue out them was really cute, and gives us more character. . However, I ended up having to wait until nearly noon – the library does not open early on Saturdays. I spent this time peering into the world of the dew drops collected on the bodies of the winged lions laying outside the library doors. The eyes of these creatures expressed great wisdom, yet also true empathy. They were the best listeners, and yet their conversations made me both think deeply and laugh lightly. Paws crossed contentedly, maybe a semicolon here? They sound like they could be two separate sentences. our bond was like no other I had ever known.
When we were not listening to silence, I stroked their grand stone manes and thought to them should it be ‘thought to myself’? I don’t see how you could think to them. how ridiculous words were.
I told them how I didn’t understand words. People depended on them too much, I said. The lions agreed in unison, twitching their tails without movement. I went on to explain how other senses can be used instead, such as touch and sight. Why say, ‘I love you’ when an embrace can convey the emotions it would take a thousand words to describe? Plus, I added, words can be empty. Words cheat. You can say, ‘I’m sorry’ and not mean it at all. The lions nodded their heads quietly and interjected their own thoughts once in a while.
I leaned against one of the lions’ flank, pressing my face against the cold marble. Images flooded into my mind from the stone and the sights it had beheld – of grandparents, children, everyone aged in between. Laughter echoed on the walls, the very building itself. Past occurrences and emotions were all etched into the library which was lifeless without them, yet with them truly alive. Overall, I really like the presence the lion statues had in this story.
See, I sighed happily, it would take hours to explain that in words.
When the doors finally opened, I breathed in awe at the familiar scent of pent-up knowledge, of a million facts and images just waiting to be accepted. I wanted to be accepted too I love this first part to this sentence, so I skipped down the aisles with my eyes closed and waited for something lonely to need me.
I did not wait long. My feet suddenly stopped in front of a shelf, fiction section, young adult. A book titled, 'Fly With Me' loomed in front of my face, calling sorrowfully hey this sounds like the title of your art piece x). I reached out tenderly, answered its call, embraced it tightly to my chest as tears threatened to overflow from my eyes To me, this is a very unrealistic response. Your character is very emotional, yes, but she shouldn’t be reduced to tears at the title of a book. The part about reaching out tenderly and embracing the book made sense to me, but the tears did not. Probably my least favorite part. . The Librarian who helped me check out must have known how much I wanted to read that book, as she scanned, stamped, and handed it to me faster than I had ever seen anyone before. I thought she should be a record holder for that kind of thing, and smiled at her on my way out.
I showed the lions my new friend, and they silently growled in appreciation. I was delighted at their approval. My feet – or were they wings? – carried me swiftly to the park, yet I stopped suddenly at the sight of him already there. I hesitated a moment too much.
You want him, yes? I asked myself. I really like this exchange she has with herself.
Why not?
Hmm… I suppose, I reluctantly agreed. it seems like all of this should be put in italics, not just the part at the beginning and at the end of the conversation.
I forced my feet forward one at a time, convincing them repeatedly that they needed to move. My eyes were so focused on the ground that I nearly ran into the tree in which he sat. My head jerked up, my mind jolted. I could see him up there through the branches and leaves – a spot of black among emerald and russet. I looked down again, not sure if I could really approach him and if I could, would I remember how to talk? It had been so long. I felt now that the only word I truly knew was my name.
It was hopeless to think that he’d somehow look down and notice me here. He was too deeply into the book, too entwined with the tree. I wanted to call out, but no words came. My mouth was open; the words my heart wanted to say were blocked by my mind. In the end, he was hit with a small pebble and finally looked down How was he hit by a pebble? It must have flown up from the ground or something. Or did you throw one up at him? It‘s not clear. . I registered in his senses, and he descended the tree in fluid movements. Who is he? I asked myself. He was halfway down the trunk now, leaping to the next limb and disturbing the silence. The last few branches he skipped, and hurled himself earthward, sending tremors through the ground. They reached me loud and clear.
They said, I am the homeless, the forlorn. I am the moon that throws silver and sighs in harmony with the rustling of trees. My dark side is known, but cast out and rejected. I keep the silent company, I lay with the wind and hold the life-force of the sky.
They said, Do you still want me?
I approached him. Yes.
He looked at me. What do you want? his expression asked. I was about to take out my book in answer when I looked at his eyes. More specifically, the color of his eyes. They were gold… no, honey? Amber? Some bright, pure hue. Their radiance matched that of the moon, the light they gave off was comforting yet brilliant. They held flames inside of them, the colors in those irises leaping and twirling like the heartbeat of the wind. My own heart fluttered and twitched oddly. What was it doing in there? This is probably just me, but this last line confused me just a bit. ‘What was it doing in there?’ At first I thought you were wondering what the wind like fire was doing in his irises, and then I came to thinking you were talking about your heart. As it fluttered, you were wondering what on earth was happening inside your chest x) You might want to clear that up, and tell us what ‘it’ is.
I looked down at my chest, but I must have appeared bashful to him, because he took my arm and led me to a bench under the tree. He opened his mouth to speak.
“Who are you?”
I tried to reply, I really did. I knew the words I wanted to say, I remembered them. But they refused to come. They crammed and stuffed my throat so tight I could not squeeze even one out. What a fool he must think me, with my mouth gaping open and my hand on my throat. very relate-able.
“Are you mute?” he asked. It was close enough to the truth, so I nodded. I really really love the way she just went along with being mute. Another one of my favorite moments in this. It seems like such a simple thing to do, but it is unheard of.
He leaned back on the bench, his posture straight and strong. He tilted his head up to the azure and white above, the wind playing with his hair as it danced by. His expression was peaceful at first, but as time passed in unknown amounts and he sank deeper into his own thoughts, that quiet face of his twisted into an agonized expression. He clutched his shirt near his chest with one hand, and used the other to steady himself on the bench. Turmoil inside him was fighting to get out, but he wouldn’t let it. He held it back in a way that suggested weariness, experience, and regret. The moment passed. After reading this the second time, I’m beginning to think that he has actual mental issues. It seemed here like he was having some kind of reaction to something that should’ve been medicated.
“Can I tell you something?”
I nodded slowly. I was so happy that he would talk. I was so happy that he did not just get up and walk away. I watched as his chest rose and fell in a deep breath, and he told me his story. The two lines in here that start with ‘I was so happy’ could be combined, I think. I was so happy that he would talk, that he was not about to get up and walk away. Eh, it’s really your choice. The repetition felt a little strange to me.
These were not his exact words, but this is what I heard. The sun and the earth had rejected him. Those that made up his sides, those that had shaped him through his life threw him out because he had wobbled in his orbit one too many times. His mistakes were the reason they had told him to leave. He was banished to wander in empty space, to suffocate, I think a period would best separate these two thoughts. It would emphasize the anger, too. ’He was banished to wander in empty space, to suffocate. They didn’t care! they didn’t care! He was lost in life. Buildings loomed over him, and streets led him only to dull brick walls and countless dead ends.
Right now he lived in a tent in his buddy’s backyard, and he worked at a store across the street. Any extra time he had, he would come to the park, talk to the trees. They listened, and they sympathized. He said that he could practically hear them growing, feel them understand him, see how they rooted for him. Go! they would encourage in their endless chorus of cheers. He and his books would be here for hours.
When he spilled out his life to me, I took every sentence, every feeling, and stored them away. I was eternally grateful, even though I knew I wasn’t the reason for this. There was nothing special about me that had caused him to talk, it was simply the pressure of the words inside him. I was just here right as they became too much Another favorite line of mine. I get the same feeling when I‘m helping out someone else. . Yet I was still ecstatic to be the one able to listen. Perhaps it was the reason that he didn’t know me, that I was a complete stranger. Perhaps that he thought he’d never see me again, and who cares what someone outside of your life think about you?
When he finished, he was panting, but his heart seemed a little lighter. This did not seem overly dramatic to me, I thought it was well done.
I touched his shoulder lightly, and he grabbed my hand, staring at me with sorrowful gold eyes. I pressed feelings towards him, I shoved any compassion I had his way. He got my message. He saw the comfort I was desperately trying to give him and he accepted it.
“Thank you.”
No, thank you, I wanted to say.
“Do you come here often?” he asked.
I nodded in reply.
“I have to go to work. Maybe I’ll see you around?”
I smiled. I hoped my smile said, I’ll look forward to it. This was all lovely. I get a great sense of romance from this story, and you make it happen without even really trying. From this story, and the other one of yours I read, I think the reason you are so successful at it is because you base their feelings off of a sense of trust and connection.

Time again flowed by in its endless river, the ripples and pace of which I do not keep track. Every once and a while I would stop being the hot winds of the desert, carrying sand and dust. I would pause on the icy tundra, I think it should be either ‘I would pause on the icy tundra and drop the snow and ice shards I held’ or ‘I would pause on the icy tundra, dropping the snow and ice shards I held’. drop the snow and ice shards I held. I would wander through the tepid, the mist, and the overcast into the rain of green light. Personally, I don’t understand this part. The descriptions are nice, but what are they of? What do they mean? I can’t figure them out. I would cause the grass blades to kiss each other, give voice to the trees dotted about. I would swirl around, looking for that boy. Sometimes when I did this, it would be at sunrise and I would have the yawning light flowing through me. In other instances, it would be the middle of the day when I usually hesitated at the fierce sun piercing through my being.
My wanderings grew meaningless as they increased in number until an evening when the stars winked above, and the dark sky floated weightlessly over everything. The moon cast light, and in doing so called forth shadows. One of these shadows was violent, throwing its weight around in anguish and pain. I’m wondering what the object was that cast this shadow. I can’t really picture this violent, painful shadow.
Grass threaded through my toes with every step I took and wind flooded the night. I saw him raise the small knife he had. I watched as he hacked away in rage at the tree he deeply loved and cared for. The tree was not the source of the anger. No, the fury came from within. A void stood in the center of his chest, one which I could clearly feel even far away as I was. It was suffocating him, pulling in all security and hope. The air there was stagnant. There was neither silver light nor dancing shadows. None of his comforts were present - the emptiness had stolen them. This is another one of my favorite parts. It really hit me personally because I’ve always been a believer of the ‘you always hurt the ones you love’ saying. It’s really emotional when you show us how in his pain he lashes out at the one thing he loves the most.
I wanted to help, I wanted to reach out and blow the sadness away, heal the pain. Yet how can you treat a wound you know nothing about? I could only watch as he and his shadow dealt frantic scars to the thing he adored, probably the thing he loved most in his life Ah, so he was the one casting the shadow. .
I stared with my most penetrating gaze, trying to pinpoint the exact cause of this. I was suddenly aware of time, I felt it like never before. It was rushing from all sides, it frantically told me to hurry. The time was fleeting, there was not enough of it. If he were to go on, where would his rage take him? He couldn’t be allowed to sink any further – he couldn’t.
The cause seemed to have been narrowed down to two things - his current self or his past self. This was a completely new idea to me, that there are two selves; the person you are now, and the person you were.
He didn’t know where he was going in life as of now, yet wasn’t he content? The serenity as he sat embraced by the branches, that couldn’t be faked. Though he was poor, though he had no family or home that society could accept, he had one that did something more important – accepted him maybe him should be in italics. His current self had found a place to belong, a life worth living. So this rage must transcend time. A great way of putting it.
I didn’t know what mistakes he had made in the past. I felt I needn’t care. As each of my footsteps took me closer to his figure – consumed by rage past the point of thinking clearly – I realized I could die in a few seconds. I knew nothing about this boy. His level of insanity could go well beyond mine and it would be too easy to kill me or rape me and walk away. It was night, we were all alone, and I doubted that I could even get a scream to come out of my mouth. And yet, as I weighed the risks of approaching him and not, I realized that I could not afford to walk away. I felt that if the flame within him was put out, I would surely die with it. So I did what none other should do, and what I shouldn’t have either.
I could hear his rasping breath. I could see the moonlight glinting off the sweat beading on his face. His eyes were lost inside of him, the gold irises dull and unaware. I touched his shoulder in the exact place I had when we first met, and he jolted, turning on me.
I expected to think, Will I die? But instead it was-
Will he die?
He was startled, and I knew my mistake straight away. It was not good to startle someone wielding a knife and half unconscious. The blade swung my way, and I saw blood silhouetted against the moon.
The book in my jacket fell next to me. ‘Fly With Me’ now laid on the ground, flattening the dew and grass beneath it. Meanwhile, he stood over me, panting, with his face contorted and terrifying. I wanted to scream, I wanted to run away. Terror was pounding in my ears and if the courage from the trees and the wind hadn’t swept through me in that moment, I might have fled. As it was, the roots just underground seemed to help me up, and I soon stood facing the cause of both my fleeting fear and my eternal want.
A rivulet of blood ran slick down my cheek, and yet I held out my hand, also stained I‘m wondering how you got blood all over you. Did it splatter off the knife as he swung it? And I thought he was driving it into a tree, not flesh? . Blackness and pinpricks of light fell upon both of us from above. Our very souls were blown by invisible currents, not seen but understood. Moon and wind, both insane, one free and one breaking free.
Bewildered, he stared and I matched it. The knife slipped to the ground and so did he, yet on his knees he still took my outstretched hand more gently than I thought possible from the same person who was who he was just a moment ago. He pressed the offered hand to his face, and his tears washed away the blood.
We will work, said the wind to the moon, together. You will show me how to wake up more from my dreams, and how to use those silly things called words. I will teach you to forgive yourself, and to dance without regrets. I really liked this ending, too. It was very easy to tell that the narrator was the wind, forgiving and free, and the boy was the moon.
The moon replied, Yes, and shone with a radiance not possibly expressed in mere words. Rather, he told me his willingness through tears and a night spent back to back, reading by moonlight in a scarred but forgiving tree.

Gawsh, what to say? I loved it. It’s true that I haven’t come across something like this in a long time. You have a lot of courage as a writer to make something so emotional and beautiful. Since I’ve read a few of your poems, I think I can say that your stories seem even more poetic. I think the reason for this is that you have your incredible CHARACTERS to back your ideas up. I really loved the boy in this one, and in that last story of yours I read. Also, your narrators are very insightful and extremely unique. For that reason, you really shine at writing in 1st person.

I will applaud you on your grammar, I always appreciate reading something that is well-written. It makes it more pleasant for the reviewer, since we can focus more on the story than on the technical stuff. X)

Eh, I’m at a loss for more words x) Esther hit the nail on the head when she said
Sometimes I just "get" it, in a way that I cannot convey with words, which is what your story is about in the first place. I loved it.

So I’ll just end this with keep writing, and don’t ever stop.
~blacksheep
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 am
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

*sniffle* Oh Daisuki. This was so beautiful. It's so funny because the picture I reviewed earlier gave off almost the exact opposite feeling that this story gives off. The picture was so light and relaxed and beautiful, and then this story was so dark and still amazingly beautiful at the same time.

I absolutely loved every single piece of imagery and personification and every use of simile and metaphor you had in this. Everything was simply brilliant. Really, truly amazing. I'm in awe of your talent! XD I also loved how you switched from present tense at the beginning, to past tense for the rest of the story. It wasn't even overwhelming and in fact, I didn't even notice when it switched. A lot of people can't actually pull that off that effectively and I think you did an amazing job.

Also, every word flowed amazingly well. This is one of those stories where you used so much description in such an amazing way, that I can't even use words to sum it up XD I was texting my friend while reading this, and she asked me what it was about and I said "Oh my god. I'm reading something so amazing right now, but I can't describe it because of all the imagery. It's so amazing!" pahahaha

I really love this, and I don't think I actually have a critique for you XP <333 keep up the amazing work!
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)