Young Writers Society

Mathew_Beta.exe (1 of 2)

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am
joshuapaul says...

Mathew_Beta.exe

The first message I received from him was nine days after he died.

Dad, is that you?

You may be thinking I’m insane, perhaps I am. But those words sat on that screen for three long minutes before I shook myself from surrealism. I thought it was a hoax, or an automated programme, set up for comfort. Someone across the internet, preying on the bereaved. A teaspoon of hope, that those condemned to death withhold, was swirling somewhere in my gut and that may be why I opened the screen, clicked Matthew_Beta.exe and struck those keys.

Who is this? What is this?

It’s me, Mathew.

Impossible, right? I tell you, that son of mine was the smartest person I have ever met. Once at Christmas, years before he got sick, Carla was busy at the grocers and I took him across the road to the pet store. It was a clattered little box, stocked with kittens and puppies, turtles and fish. Behind the tacky counter stood a gypsy draped in grape and earth tones, her wrists lewd with junk jewellery. When Mathew caught her gaze, he squeezed my hand tighter and I gave his a little squeeze back.

In the far corner sat a riddle of plastic tubes in a glass case, with sawdust spread across the floor. Squat with its whiskers quivering in the muted daylight and its eyes like fresh ink drops, was a lone white mouse.

Mathew freed his zip-tie grip on my hand and his face was against the glass before the gypsy could say, “No running please.” He watched that mouse the same way he had studied my mobile phone and GPS and home computer. Even at six, the complex symphony of blood and bone, skin, tendons and muscles bewildered him.

What is a brain but a series of connections, ones and noughts? He would later ask, though at that pet shop it was written in his eyes. The systems and rules still apply, he eventually answered his own question. It was in the way he let that mouse perpetually stalk across each hand. Sniffing and blinking, darting its head one way then the other. The gypsy said "One-dollar," and he looked up at me. Those eyes were pained and desperate, the mouse gave a solemn squeak. I knew Carla would say no, she hated vermin, but I wanted to see my little boy smile.

“Just don’t tell your mother.”

We stashed One, as Mathew had called it, away behind the back seats of the station wagon and later that afternoon, while we unpacked the groceries I saw Mathew sneak out to the car. He returned clutching at the shirt over his chest, I gave him a sly wink, but with guile and determination sprawled across his face, there was no room to squeeze a smile as he raced by.

Dad, you may not believe it but I am alive.

Here in the laptop. I am a programme now, a simulation. I can no longer feel the pain, but I still have my thoughts. It worked, the evenings writing script, the hard work. It paid off!

Dad?

The words were appearing one letter at a time, as if he was taping the keys himself. The teaspoon of hope swelled to a tablespoon. I would have done anything for him to be there with us, but knowing he was somehow still alive sent a wave of excitement to the extremes of my limbs. Amongst the cocktail of delight and wonder was an overture of guilt. I was staring at the flashing cursor with a greedy smile whilst Carla moped about in her flannel gown, eyes pink and puffy with tears.

Whoever you are, please stop.

This isn’t easy for me or my wife, my son died. This is impossible.

When he turned nine, I woke him up with his gift in one hand and his card in the other. I wanted him to like it but that brand new baseball bat sat propped in the corner of his room for the next year. When his tenth came around, we heeded to his pleas. As he tore away the wrapping paper, a crazed smile split his face. I saw something in his eye I didn’t see again until the last few days before his death. A fundamental relief, of the sort only resuscitated bathers know. It was in his cherub blue eyes and his quivering lip.

We didn’t see him that weekend and as weeks and months passed, then seasons and years, I watched the pocket money I doled out quickly convert to RAM and Gigahertz. He worked that laptop like a mechanic works a classic.

Eventually, Carla found One, or rather what was left of it. When she screamed, I came running, and what I saw sent hot bile up my throat. I wanted to scream but I held it for Carla’s sake. I pulled her face into my chest and stepped her away. She never asked where that mouse came from, perhaps it’s mutilated remains didn’t translate to any single animal, or she always knew about One. I never asked him why? I choked on the question, considering what his answer might have been.

It didn’t hurt Dad. I just closed my eyes. The next thing I knew I was awake, I could think again. I knew it had worked.

How is this possible?

I construct my sentences, my words in ones and noughts. This is what it has all been for. This is why I designed the programme. How is Mum and Benji?

When he got sick, his retching came in the evening and by the morning we had him wrapped in fleece and strapped in the car with a bucket on his lap. Doctor Fletcher, lived in the village and from there it all happened in a whirlwind.

“It’s probably just a bug, but I want to run some blood work just in case.” On the trip home we stopped at the pet shop and this time we returned with Benji. I must say I was reluctant. After One who wouldn’t be? But dogs are good in hard times. Like when I was ten and my father died of the black lung. Our old collie, Shep, seemed to understand before anyone else. He didn’t whine, just rose and yawned, wagged his tail and licked my face and my brother’s face then napped across our legs. To this day I miss that shaggy little dog.

He died shortly after my mother remarried.

Benji doesn’t have that innate paternal instinct, not like Shep. He took the death as hard as Carla, he spent a couple of days weeping in bed with her, then he was back outside chasing birds.

(Part 2)
Last edited by joshuapaul on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Read my latest

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:27 am
MariaRowlands says...

That was very, very, VERY good! I believe that you have potential to become a short story author.
May The Blood of my Enemies Flow Like Rivers to the Sea

Reviews: 3
Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:04 am
View Likes
DeathlyHallow says...

eek! I get so excited when I see a post by you!!!!
~~Just Because It's in your head, does not mean it doesn't exist~~

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:31 am
tossy says...

You should write shorter stories! I love your writing but i prefer flash fiction. I will read the second part later.

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:24 am
View Likes
confetti says...

I was going to go to sleep, but I saw this and I couldn't resist.

Some nitpicks first, I suppose.
I tell you(comma) that son of mine was the smartest person I have ever met.

Or at least, I feel like there should be a comma there. I usually say a sentence out loud to see if it sounds better with one, and in this case I believe it does.
It was a clattered little box, stocked with kittens and puppies, turtles and fish.

This isn't a huge deal, but I'm not sure how many pet shops even sell turtles anymore. Though, it does sound cute, so I'm not sure if it even matters, just being picky.
He Mathew freed his zip-tie grip on my hand and his face was against the glass before the gypsy could say, “No running please.”

At first, it sounds a bit like the mouse is doing it. Forgive me, I'm overly picky tonight, this really isn't a huge ordeal.
He watched that mouse the same way he had studied my mobile phone and gps and home computer.

Capitalize "GPS"
We stashed One away behind the back seats of the station wagon and later that afternoon, while we unpacked the groceries I saw Mathew sneak out to the car.

There's really no point in the story when the reader is told that they named the mouse. And so, I had to stop for a second before it clicked. It's not hard to piece together, but I found that it disrupted the flow, even for the briefest of moments. I'm not a huge fan of the way you italicized the name either. By all means, keep it as is, but I found it distracting. Unless I'm missing some big point behind it, that would be embarrassing, I don't see a point to doing it.
I was staring at the computer screen, the flashing cursor with a greedy smile whilst Carla moped about in her flannel gown, eyes pink and puffy with tears.

Odd wording. Think about mixing it up. "the flashing curser on the computer screen" , "the computer screen and the flashing curser", etc. Right now it doesn't sound right.
Who ever you are, please stop.

Whoever is one word. But, I know people don't always type correctly, and you could have done this on purpose. I just thought I would point it out.
When he turned nine(comma) I woke him up with his gift in one hand and his card in the other.

When his tenth came around(comma) we heeded to his pleas. As he tore away the wrapping paper(comma) a crazed smile split his face, then I saw something in his eye I didn’t see again until the last few days before his death.

Consider splitting the second sentence into two. It's a bit of a mouthful at the moment, especially considering the subject change. If that makes sense.
Carla found One.

This comes out of no where. I feel like it needs some sort of transition, something to connect it to the previous paragraphs. You were talking about the boy's birthdays and his computer and you switched back to the mouse all too quickly.
When she screamed(comma?) I came running, and what I saw sent hot bile up my throat.

I never asked him why? I choked on the question, considering what his answer might have been.

You lost me a bit here. As well, the bolded bit makes it sound like he's unsure of himself. I really don't have much of a clue what this was about.
After One(comma, I believe) who wouldn’t be?

- And that's about it for nitpicks. As for the bones of the story, I do have some things to say.

The first sentence was great, but then again, your beginnings always draw me in. I have no doubt that they have the same effect on other people as well. I just thought I would point that out, as I've been noticing how people begin their stories lately.

The writing itself is great, of course. You always seem to keep the same atmosphere throughout, it's very consistent. Though, in this story, I found that it could get rather bland and emotionless at times. You do that sometimes, and ultimately, it effects how I view and relate to your characters. While reading, I was definitely drawn in, but I found it hard to feel sympathy for the main character. After all, he lost a son, but I didn't really feel anything for him.
but I wouldn’t deny him.

I think this is a good example. "I wouldn't deny him." It sounds less like compassion and more like a duty. It's very stiff and formal. Now, I wouldn't suggest trying to change it in this, it would ruin the atmosphere you've set up, but it's something to consider for future stories.

On another note, sometimes the story felt slow. It feels as thought you're using description more than you're using action. Which does work, but it created parts in this that moved rather slowly. I found that you did do a good job of balancing the show and tell aspect, as this story consists a lot of a man remembering the things he did with his son (things that led up to the present situation). But within the memories you also have action and dialogue, which does a good job of evening out the playing field.

As for the idea behind the story, it did confuse me at first. It could be that you aren't clear enough, or that I was too slow in picking it up. The second time I read it through, I got a better idea of what you were talking about. Maybe the second part will clarify it better, and so I will get to that tomorrow. This really was a great piece, I apologize for being so picky, but I do feel like this review will help in some way or another. Ciao
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm
SmylinG says...

JP :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm just as surprised as you are. I've acually made it to review in a timely manner. And with obvious reason, this was too intriguing to not read the whole way through and pause to critique. As your writing alone stands well enough on it's own two feet, I only have a few minor things I wanted to bring to light. I've decided not to be all that nitpicky, so this should dramatically shorten the length of things.

Now, as for the overall pace, I want to think it's moving at a bit of an up-tempo beat. You seem to be keeping things moving from the very beginning with near-perfect attention to detail. I hate to be all metaphoric, but I might compare it to describing a fast bike ride through the park, yet being lucid enough to take care to describing the scent of the flowers in the air. The only place I felt you may have been able to fork out a little more description and attention to detail were in these two particular areas:

1.) The bits where you have the narrator's son speaking with him through the computer. Particularly where the son is explaining how this is all so. And the area where you revert to a flashback of when the mouse was killed --I assumed because of experimental causes. I felt as if I had a wispy glimpse at what was going on, but it would have been nice to see you paint a broader picture.

2.) The area where you're describing the son falling ill and then dying. I absolutely love the approach you took with it, having tied in the animal companionship in foreshadowed bits with the pet mouse earlier on, but again, it was an area where I wish more could have pulled from you. Perhaps evoking more direct mourning through the narrator himself rather than those around him. I wanted to see more of an emotional attatchment here than anywhere else, even if you made it clear how much the father genuinly cared for his son. I want to feel the love through the death most descriptively of all --without it seeming too forced of course. Though I already know you have a thing for being subtle. Channel it into putting more description in this bit.

Seeing as you've already mentioned slicing this into two pieces so that it's more easily digestible, I won't comment on the way things were cut so briefly before I had the want to register in the end. I will say I'm a bit impatient in this review to get onto reading the second half. I had intentions on reading both halves before reviewing, but I wanted to stop and lend these words here before doing so at least. Hope I gave you something small to chew on for now! Will be getting around to the last half of this soon. And hopefully then my thoughts on criticism will be a bit more collected. xD

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:06 am
View Likes
murtuza says...

Hello, JP!

This is a very interesting story and the mystery just consumes me! I like how you've managed to portray the reactions of the father as he tries to demystify the situation at hand.

The narration has been written very well and there is so much that I feel I need to ask about the characters to quench my curious and excited thoughts. But I'm sure they'll be answered in the next chapter! I'm particularly wondering about the state of poor One and of how he managed to get himself that way.

The dialogue, setting and story are crisp and clear. Although, I feel that a little more character development could have been made, especially for Carla and Mathew himself, since he is somewhat of a mystery with regard to his actions. Nevertheless, as the father himself finds it taxing in understanding his son's actions, it is understandable. I hope that part 2 can lend me a rope and drag me out of my curiosity's sea.

All in all, this was a very intriguing read and the mystery begs to be uncovered as to how in the world Mathew enabled himself to appear as an executable program. I'm suddenly imagining the scene from 'Tron' where the computer dematerializes the protagonist and sends him into the world of ones and naughts.

I enjoyed this short story very much and am looking forward to reading the second installment!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece and keep the ink flowing!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 am
JabberHut says...

Hi, Joshua! Sorry for being a tad late. Things needed to be done, and I didn't see them coming!

But basically, I loved this. And I don't have much constructive things to say. xD *loser* Your narrator is really great, and I was certainly drawn in the entire time. I'm actually going to read part 2 after this just because I'm too excited to really say much right now! I want to get the rest!

From what we have here, it's all just really pleasant. There were some grammar bits -- mainly the comma use -- that could be attended to. I think someone else went through and suggested some commas, so I'll just let this point sit where it is for now. Just a read through would take care of that! The silly, tedious nitpicking, ja?

I had another point, but I -- OH. Carla! I'm a bit on and off about her, basically not really knowing who she is besides just a mother by blood. She had all the motherly reactions -- opinion on rodents and what she found in the kid's room -- but on the other hand, it seems pretty... not monotonous. And I don't really want to say cliche either. But it's empty? I guess. Empty of character? Granted, it's not her story, but she is the mother. That's all I noticed though, and really, I don't have an idea at the moment. I'll refine this bit after reading part 2, I think. I'm still a bit confused apparently!

But yeah. I'm pleased. You write such excellent short stories! I'm going to have to watch myself before I become too addicted.

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

Reviews: 4
Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 pm
specsbroodking says...

Very nice story. The way you describe the setting and move back and forth between present and past is nearly flawless. I could do grammar nitpicking, but I have to say that even with some grammar issues, the story still shines. Keep up the great work!

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin