The Life She Wanted

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm
crazedasian1 says...

She wanted to live in peace and tranquility

Where sunshine existed every day.

Instead she lived in fear and invisibility

Where she was sent in shame under a sky of grey.

She had longed for a love story

But love she did not get.

For years she had been working on escaping and living in glory,

But an escape never came, and she no longer thought about it.

And now on the anniversary of her death, we wonder if we could have helped her.

The real question is, would we have helped?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 pm
creativityrules says...

Hi, Crazedasian! My name's Rose, and I'll be reviewing this piece today.

First off, I'd like to welcome you to YWS. I absolutely love it here, and I hope that you will, too. My writing has improved loads and loads since I first joined; there are many talented writers who have lent me their opinions. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me or any one of them and I promise that we'll help you in any way we can! Now, on to the review.

I actually quite like this. When I read the first two lines, I expected something entirely happy and lighthearted, but I didn't find any of the levity I expected. As strange as this sounds, it was actually a nice surprise. However, in future works, I might suggest making sure that your opening sentences portray the feeling more than the ones for this poem did, especially if you are writing a longer poem.

The next thing I'd like to comment on is the capitalization of your piece. Many poets have different styles of capitalization and punctuation, but I'm sort of old fashioned when it comes to this. If a letter wouldn't be capitalized if it were in a normal sentence and not a poem, then I don't capitalize it if it's in a poem.

The dog went
down the hill
and to the pond.

I capitalize like the above example.

The dog went
Down the hill
And to the pond.

Not like this. Proper punctuation is important to me because I like my writing to look clean and to be treated in the proper way. However, if you have a particular style of capitalization, don't be afraid to stick with it.

The last thing I'd like to comment on is the structure of your poem. I'm not sure that I like it in the one sprawling paragraph you've assembled; in fact, I think it'd be much better in two sections of four lines, and one section of two. I would combine the first four sentences because I feel like they're all relevant to each other. I would combine the next two sentences into another section, and then the final four into the third section. That way, I feel like each section would be set apart from the others and stand out on its own.

All in all, great work! Always keep writing!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm
murtuza says...

Hey, crazedasian1

Welcome to YWS and congratulations on your first post! :D

First off, I like this poem for its story and its conceptualization. For me, the structure is quite good and I like how you've managed to make each line look separate and distinctly individual from the rest of the lines. It is short and carries great depth despite the minimal number of lines which is quite a heavy task to pull off for any writer.

As for any nitpicks, I feel that the implementation of the rhyme was good, but still, it lacked some punch to it and it seemed quite forced in some areas. The last three lines are devoid of any rhyme and it makes the poem lack that flow to it. Maybe if you tried choosing your words more carefully, you could come up with a great rhyming flair that can carry the poem from beginning to end with swift ease.

I enjoyed this poem a lot and I'm glad that as a first post, you chose to write this. I think that you've got great talent and that you can write even greater things. So I'm looking forward to reading more from you. Keep the ink flowing!

P.S. - Feel free to ask me about anything on this site. I'll be glad to help :) I hope you enjoy your time here. Take care now!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 pm
ObdurateMiller says...

Hi, I'm new to YWS and I saw the title of you poem and it really caught my attention. I liked it a lot and I think you did really well. It was kind of vague in some parts but that's just my opinion. I still liked it though and I hope you'll read my one piece that I have so far.
ObdurateMiller

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 pm
crazedasian1 says...

Thank you for your reviews. They really made me think about my poem and writing style. I am definitely going to take all of your advice into consideration.
We can aspire to anything, but we don't get it just 'cause we want it.' I would rather spend my life close to the birds than waste it wishing I had wings.
-Eli Attie

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26