z

Young Writers Society

Wordlbuilding/Character Questionnaires

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm
Tenyo says...

Hii guys!

I'm doing some worldbuilding en masse for a bunch of locations and characters. I want to brainstorm and have them exist to add flavour to the story and be available as a creative archive, but since none of them will play any kind of significance to the plot I don't really want to spend too much time developing them.

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations of questionnaires or templates that might be of use?
We were born to be amazing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:20 am
Kale says...

I don't use templates or questionnaires myself, so sadly, I don't have any to recommend.

Some things I do consider for my own worldbuilding are things like climate, number of ethnic groups, population distribution, is there plumbing, and such.

Side characters get a basic physical description, occupation, and perhaps a quirk or two that sets them apart from the others of their occupation.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Not quite a template/questionnaire, but I have in the past used Patricia C Wrede's worldbuilding questions as a resource, and you could probably derive a template from those. There are various mirrors around, but here's the first one that came up on Google: http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-wor ... questions/
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey