20%
sucks big floppy hangy donky b*lls
80%

Total votes : 5

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:24 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Those that understand this argument, and have read enough plato to understand this, please respond. everyone else, shut yer yaps.

The forms- they suck. a pencil can't be more than a pencil... i mean come on, how can a pencil be more perfect than just a pencil?

The alagory of the cave...
im not even going to start... Brad, feel free. I look forward to pages of profesorial talk from you.

Platos Republic - it sounds like marxism, but Plato came first. That and his first idea was wholy impossible and flawed to the max. why does he need a council, if they're all so perfect? shouldn't one be enough?
His second idea... well like i said, marxism, totally subjective and probably made up on the spot over lunch.
with plato, when does real work get done? there's no possible medical advancement.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:02 pm
Ego says...

no offense Qi, but how can this possibly be a discussion iof you only want people here to agree with you?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

67 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:12 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

its more of a rant really. lol. I dont imagine there are too many people here that understand plato, or even those that have read enough plato to understand him. if there are, im suprised. and besides, how many people actualy do like plato? if you insist, i can add another option, but, only if you insist.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:49 pm
Incandescence says...

Plato is, hopefully, burning in hell. The Allegory of the Cave is retarded, and besides, anyone who offers you an allegory should be feared and avoided at ALL costs.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:38 pm
Bobo says...

I don't consider rants as belonging in this forum. I'm moving this to the Lounge.

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:52 pm
Bazoo says...

Hahhaaha.

Well, I have to admit, I used to love Plato's ideas . . . for some reason . . . BUT little errors occur within his theories, as Brad pointed out.

I am thinking he had "problems" now, actually. Any common person could come up with theories that are just as well backed up as his (which means, not backed up by logic at all).

How he became famous (and why I liked his ideas) is a mystery to me.

915 Reviews

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:20 pm
Incandescence says...

Because he was, in a sense, the first modern philosopher. Although...I would consider Heraclitas or Socrates the Father of Philosophy, but Plato was the first to write a Book over his philosophies, which has garnered him much more attention.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 pm
Bobo says...

Do you have a link to these philosophies? I'm interested to learn about Plato now...

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:03 am
ohhewwo says...

I've got a feeling that most of the people here that hate him don't truly understand him. I haven't read any of his work, but most people hate what they can't\don't\and sometimes refuse to understand. So, chances are, QiGuaiGongFu, that if ever the time comes that you could ever like Plato and his thoughts, you will refuse to, on the count of you didn't like him the first place! And the same goes for things that people do like. In my oppinion, if you hate something, then just keep it to yourself, in order to be safe from total contradiction, physical harm, or any other thing that one would not want to happen to him or herself. That's not to say that I've proved you wrong or anything, Qi, or that one shouldn't stand up for something they believe in, I'm just sayin'...

915 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:16 am
Incandescence says...

So says the kid who has not read Plato or had "The Allegory of the Cave" crammed down his throat.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:54 am
Galatea says...

One can only read the allegory of the cave so many times before it makes one want to vomit...
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:31 pm
ohhewwo says...

Incandescence wrote:So says the kid who has not read Plato or had "The Allegory of the Cave" crammed down his throat.

Hey, man, I'm just sayin'. Maybe I'll understand what y'all mean when I read some of Plato's work. But even then, my mind's gonna be open.

67 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:11 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

I've read plato before, i read it, understood it, then had it explained to me... i hated it.

the reason i worded the post the way i did, was to ensure those that havent read plato dont respond. so it may seem as though i dont know, but trust me, i know more than i care too... plato was the first communist.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

67 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:14 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Bobo wrote:Do you have a link to these philosophies? I'm interested to learn about Plato now...

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/GREECE/PLATO.HTM

this is kinda short, there aint a lot there, but its enough to get you further interested or fully disgusted.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind