z

Young Writers Society

NO RIP TYWC

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:41 pm
Elizabeth says...

IT JUST SO HAPPENS....

It just so happes I was able to get onto TYWC chatwall and I found a post by David. THE REAL DAVID!!!

Somebody had been pretending to be David and made a new name with a space at the end. He's not quitting on us!
FDavid is still there!
TYWC is still there!
Our stories are there!
All of us former TYWC'ers are staying!

LONG LIVE TYWC!!!

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:00 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!

*Chants* TYWC! TYWC! TYWC! TYWC!

That Mypasswordispassword guy flooded my poems on the comments bitty with links to this site. Grr. Nothing better to do, I suppose.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:07 pm
Nate says...

David thought that I was mypasswordispassword. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about that so I told him to check the ip addresses in some not so kind terms.

David, I think, is the real problem with TYWC. There was a time when he genuinely cared about the site, but now he just lets it go to waste and doesn't respond to any e-mails. It's interesting to note that if TYWC was based in the USA, then the site would be declared illegal and David could have legal proceddings taken against him; all thanks to COPPA.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:06 pm
Emma says...

That sounds like a father leaving his children to fend for themselfs! Wait a moment... He IS doing that.... I wasn't sure on him in the first place... 8-[

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:42 pm
hekategirl says...

David dosn't even GO on that site anymore, does he? it sure doesn't seem like he does.
Their was this girl on TYWC that called me an A** hole just because I didn't like her poetry. I tried to tell David but he never answers his e-mail. Thats when I left TYWC...

558 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:13 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Grr, David. I feel so betrayed.
Matt.

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm
Bazoo says...

It's not David's fault; he has a life, you know.

Nate,

How -exactly- would that site be illegal if it was based in the U.S.? That makes me curious.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:51 pm
Ego says...

Nate's got a life too...he still provides for all his children--er....members
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

425 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:28 am
Nate says...

Bazoo wrote:It's not David's fault; he has a life, you know.

Nate,

How -exactly- would that site be illegal if it was based in the U.S.? That makes me curious.

It's because of COPPA, linked to here.

Basically what COPPA says is that you're not allowed to ask for any specific information, such as name, e-mail, and location, from any person under age 13 without the explicit permission of a parent or guardian. Any site that is oriented toward children and does not comply with COPPA is liable.

Also there is the problem of the unmoderated chatwall at TYWC. Under COPPA, a site needs to be moderated if it is catering to children under age 13.

So as TYWC caters to children of all ages, it would have to comply with COPPA if it was in the US. But since it's based in Turkey, it does not need to comply with COPPA.
Last edited by Nate on Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:50 am
Elizabeth says...

People want us to be safe and in order to do it they make up rules to scare us to our edges.
Do they really do anything? No!
Your site and his site are different because because of location.... but I don't remember like any sort of parent needed approval on here....

Anyway.... I forgot what i was about to say (-_-)

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:10 am
Shadow Knight says...

Well, David has responded to 2 of my e-mails, but you do realise he has a wife and kids to take care of, plus he has to work, and publish the thousands of stories, poems, etc. Actually i think his daughter helps with that now.... I think

~~Shadow~Knight~~ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:27 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

If he can't handle the site he should hand it over to somebody else. I'd be more than happy to take on the challenge.
Matt.

425 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:13 pm
Nate says...

The Black Rose wrote:People want us to be safe and in order to do it they make up rules to scare us to our edges.
Do they really do anything? No!
Your site and his site are different because because of location.... but I don't remember like any sort of parent needed approval on here....

Anyway.... I forgot what i was about to say (-_-)

You don't remember any parent approval because you are 13. Read my message; it says children under 13 need parent approval.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:24 pm
Ego says...

question; why are we even talking about a different writing site here at YWS?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:33 pm
Incandescence says...

Not really; I don't know. It's what first inspired me to continue writing, despite the long wait my poems had to endure to be posted. Still, I think it's bad to forget where you came from.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

Turn your demons into art, your shadow into a friend, your fear into fuel, your failures into teachers, your weaknesses into reasons to keep fighting. Don’t waste your pain. Recycle your heart.
— Andréa Balt