z

Young Writers Society

YWS Awards Winners

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:38 pm
Firestarter says...

The voting and the nominations have come and gone. There have been tears (okay maybe not), tantrums (a couple), arguments (hell yeah) and applause. So maybe it's not the Oscars, but that's boring to watch anyway. At least if you're bored in this you can skip my pre-awards speech and just look at the winners. Not that I suggest doing so, but this is a free society after all.

I'd just like to take a bit of time to congratulate Nate on creating such a wonderful forum for young writers. From the moment I joined, I felt welcome, and in terms of my writing skills I can honestly say from the first day to now, they have improved a lot. I'm sure many of you will agree. To provide such a brilliant place for discussion and writing is no mean feat, but to maintain and improve it constantly is another thing. It's plain to see that YWS stands out from other similar sites in many ways - style, design, community, members, standard of writing. There is not enough thanks I can give to Nate for providing such a great forum, and I hope you all remember that without him, none of this would be possible.

I'd also like to thank dreaming_mouse for providing the visual awards, without her, it just wouldn't have looked as good! Thanks muchly. (oh, and if you use Internet Explorer you might be unable to see some of the awards as they are .png files)

On to the Awards!

Best Overall Member – Crysi

Crysi has been one of more prominent and popular members of YWS - her friendliness and willingness to help shone through and she quickly became well-known to everyone. She was appointed a moderator earlier this year and has diligently performed her duties, improving the stature of YWS. It is not just her ability to make people feel welcome, but her honest and sincere desire to make everyone feel great that has made her deserve this award. To be honest, her writing isn't half-bad either (j/k).

Funniest Member – Sureal

To make people laugh is always a desirable trait, and Sureal's random comments and remarks brighten up the mood of the board considerably, allowing members to see that YWS is not all about serious things, but also about building a community of young writers. Sureal has managed to help the site fill this duty.

Most Helpful Member/Friendliest Member – Areida07

What can I say? She is one of the most friendly and kind person I have ever had the pleasure to *meet* on the internet. Never ceasing to make people smile, she has fitted easily into the community since joining, and her offers of assistance to help new members never fail to appear. She also encourages budding writers to keep going and this perhaps is the most important of all on such a forum.

Best Reviewer of Prose – Snoink

Such a hard choice to make for this award. All of the nominees write excellent critiques; however, someone has to win. Snoink's deliverance of knowledgable, constructive criticism has helped many members on this write receive comments to improve their story. Commenting on prose isn't just about saying what you don't like, it's about suggesting what to improve as well. Snoink does this (her article on creating believable characters was great) by the bucketload.

Best Reviewer of Poetry – Incandescence

Poetry is something extremely difficult to critique. Because, unlike prose, it almost always comes straight from emotions and therefore can be personal to the poet, it is hard for an outsider to suggest changes as it will take the poem away from it's original meaning. However, Brad seems to have worked a system of pointing out changes that can still drastically improve a poem without taking it's meaning, and allowed many people to improve their skills.

Best Poet – Incandescence

He doesn't just review, he can write, too. And brilliantly at that. His poems exude emotion, imagery and beauty. There is little else to be said.

Best Writer – Duskglimmer

Another hard-fought award. Duskglimmer was a favourite for many voters, as can be seen by her nominations for several stories as well. Imagery, flow, dialogue, pace, characters, description - her stories are well-written and show how YWS has such a collection of fantastic and talented writers.

Member You’d Most Like to Shoot – Fontroy

It's probably his refusal to adhere to grammar and spelling and punctuation that gave him this award. Perhaps it'll spur him on to improve his messages. Don't be too disheartened though - Big Brother forgives you. Or at least I think they all do (fickle group).

Best Moderator – Firestarter

Eh. I'm not sure I deserve this. I've been a moderator for a long time and made some mistakes along the way, but I hope I've contributed something to this site. It's contributed something to me. And it was my birthday on Sunday, so a present for me, maybe?

Best Story – “Hourglass” by Sam

Napoleonic fiction, romance, quirky writing, humour...what else do you need? From the beginning of this story it has shown startling talent, and the consistent level of writing and development shows a lot about a story. Some can have good beginnings and start to fall, but this has perhaps grown stronger as it has gone on. I can only hope she one day finishes it, because it has such a future.

Best Poem – “l'orangina rouge” by Liz

Another nigh on impossible award to judge. Receiving just two comments, this is perhaps what you could call a hidden jewel, seemingly unnoticed by many people. This poem is just...brilliant. Read it. Now.

Best Off-Topic Topic - Post-Your-Own-Pic

You know it. What can be more fun than looking at people from YWS? Instead of an avatar, you get to see their faces, and place it to their names! Demonstrated by the fact there are in fact two topics of the same name, and together they have over 100 pages of comments and pictures.

Spam Master (a.k.a. Most Overly Active Member) – Fontroy

I was surprised people didn't vote me for this, considering my stupidly large post count. Perhaps a bit unlucky to win this and the Member You'd Most Like To Shoot award, Fontroy can take something from the fact he won more awards than most people at the best awards ceremony (on YWS). But if he spent a little more time critiquing people's work, and a little less time in the Person Above You thread...

Best Debater – QiGuaiGongFu

He presents facts, he backs them up, he counters other peoples' arguments, he provides clarity and understanding. Qi is one of the foremost debaters on the site, addressing all the issues and providing his well-informed opinion on them.

Best Lyricist – Harley

She's had almost a revolution in lyrics recently - taking peoples' comments on board and coming back with some amazing lyrics that have shown improvement in almost every area. Drawing inspiration from a number of sources, she has shown considerable talent and can only get better.

Best Artist – lollipop

Wowing viewers with extraordinary drawings and paintings, lollipop has shown why she deserves this award. In particular her stunning work on the dragon alerted many members to her talent, and she has shown that that her art skills are something to be envied.

Best Usergroup – Big Brother

The Administrators and the Moderators are often the people that hold forums together. It is no different on YWS. The Big Brother team has supported and helped YWS progress from a feldging forum to a full-grown community, and continuously progressing YWS to new levels. All credit to the Moderators and Administrators for keeping this thing alive.

Best Blog – Something Is Rotten In The State Of Denmark (Sam)

Funny, random, hilarious, crazy, mad, brilliant - take your pick. This blog is something to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes, and the mind of an 11-year-old girl is obviously quite a mad place, but if it produces comedy like that all the time, it must be fun.

Best Avatar - Bobo

He drew it himself. Does anything else need to be said? Great stuff.

Now break out the drinks! After-awards Party w00t!
Last edited by Firestarter on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:40 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Congratulations to everyone XD and Jack I really do think you're becoming an alcoholic. Any excuse to break out the drinks...tut tut.
Last edited by dreaming_mouse on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:45 pm
Writersdomain says...

Congratulations Everyone!!!!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:59 pm
Muse says...

Congratulations! All well deserved! :D
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:09 pm
Areida says...

I won?

I won?

I won?

WOOO HOO!!!!

And congratulations to everyone else... this is exciting and fun and I am happy!

And another big thanks to Jack for setting the whole thing up. You rock.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:26 pm
Chevy says...

Yay for everyone who won!!
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:50 pm
Rei says...

Ha-rumph. Nobody likes me. *pout*

But it's true, Snoink does take more time with her crits than I do, I don't spend much time in the debates, and I don't know why anyone thought I deserved to even be nominated for best poetry reviewer. But I do take credit for stopping that debate about Shakespeare dead. Nobody managed to find anything else to say on either side of it after my point about the fact that he was writing for an audience, just like screanwriters today.

Anyway, YEHOO to the winners. You rule! But I'm still going to publish my first book before anyone else here. :P

(Please don't take that, or my FAKE pouting seriously.)
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:07 pm
Sureal says...

Yay - I won! I won! I won! Iwon! Iwon! Iwon! IwonIwonIwonIwon!

*coughs*

I'd just like to say to all the other funny people who were nominated for Funniest Member Award, yet were unfortunate enough to not win the award:
'Hah! I beat you!'

;)

Now... if only I could see .png files ;).

EDIT: Hey, I just realised... I have Mozilla Firefox on my computer...
I wrote the above just for you.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:27 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*blinks*
*stares at screen*
*rereads list of winners*
*continues to stare at screen*
*nudges the person sitting next to her with her elbow* Is that seriously my name?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:33 pm
Crysi says...

Lol. Nice, Sureal.

Wow. I. Won. *blinks* WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Alright, I have to start writing my speech.. This could take a while. ;)
Love and Light

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:12 pm
Bobo says...

Well, of the ones I voted for, I agree with all of them, except for one, but I won't start an upheaval lol. Now... I better start checking those literary forums more, hmm?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:49 pm
BlueStone says...

Ah man! I'm not the ass I really am... Hmph! Congrats to all, and let this inpsiration be a goal that which everyone strives for. I'm glad I know most of the members nominated, and wish them well in their futher actions as leaders upon this board. And yes, another 'thank you' to Jack for setting this all off.

~BS

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:38 pm
Crysi says...

*whispers to Jack* Can we still shoot him even if he didn't win that award?

:P

Jk hon. You know I love ya. ;)
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:55 am
Snoink says...

Now I feel embarrassed. XD

Well, thank you, and dammit, now I have to write a stupid acceptance speech. Who was the one that came up with that idea anyway? ;)

Congratz to all, especially the ones who didn't make it to the winner status. The stories, the prose, the reviews, the debates, all of them were wonderful to look at and I enjoyed it thoroughly. We have such talented writers here, no? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:16 am
Sam says...

*dies*

Uhm...woah...that was unexpected...(both my sudden death and TWO AWARDS! :P mind you)

EDIT: 'the mind of an 11-year-old girl is obviously quite a mad place'

Oy, Jack, you don't know the half of it...

THANK YOU PEOPLE!!!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore