z

Young Writers Society

Demand

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:49 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

I want more comments on my poems. I comment on you people's poetry all the time, yet I only end up with 2-4 actual comments on my poems. I'd like to know what you think, how it made you feel (if it did, at all). This helps me when commenting on your poems, because I know what you like and what you aim for, and so I can give better constructive criticism. So it's mutual.

Thanks, as I know you will all race to my latest poem and comment.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

Reviews: 3
Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:04 am
View Likes
Lingering_Shadow says...

Well if it means anything, as soon as I read this I found one of your poems and commented:) You're a good writer.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:26 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

I try, really I do. But most days I don't have time to read any of the poems or stories.. and it's so overwhelming with the amount of items that are added each day..

I understand your frustration. Try to have patience with us, ok? We all have busy lives.
Love and Light

915 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:42 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Uh-huh. :arches eyebrow and looks around:
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:50 am
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

maybe if youd stop being such a little ***** to everyone, youd get a better reception.

a case of brutal honesty from your friendly neighborhood QiGuai.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:51 am
View Likes
Morran says...

I still say we should organize that critiquing group. Set up some guidelines for how often everyone can submit something to the group, and then make sure everyone gets a critique.

As a side note, you should feel LUCKY that your poetry gets 2-4 critiques.

Some stories are lucky if they get one good critique.

Which reminds me I still owe Sam and Firestarter. Don't worry, don't worry, I just lead a very busy college life that restricts my free time. I apologize, but I haven't forgotten about either of you! I promise!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:26 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Incandescence wrote:I want more comments on my poems. I comment on you people's poetry all the time, yet I only end up with 2-4 actual comments on my poems. I'd like to know what you think, how it made you feel (if it did, at all). This helps me when commenting on your poems, because I know what you like and what you aim for, and so I can give better constructive criticism. So it's mutual.

Join the club.

I've been away, so I haven't been around recently, and have been keeping away from the poetry to preserve my sanity, but I'll start proper editing soon.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

915 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:29 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

I know I'm a *****. That's the intent. Glad you caught on. But really, who else gives good critiquing other than Galatea and faith? Not very many people.

And stories are different: they are much longer. We're talking about 250 words, here. Not a novella. Most poems get 5-6 "critiques."

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:32 am
Galatea says...

didn't anyone read the rules that nate posted in BOTH the fiction and the poetry sections. read the goddamn rules, people!!!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:36 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I did, and I really really really try to critique, not just so I can post anything new either (I havn't posted anything new in ages) I just do beacuse ... I don't know, I just know how bad people feel if no one does.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:24 pm
View Likes
Morran says...

Incandescence wrote:I know I'm a bitch. That's the intent. Glad you caught on. But really, who else gives good critiquing other than Galatea and faith? Not very many people.

And stories are different: they are much longer. We're talking about 250 words, here. Not a novella. Most poems get 5-6 "critiques."

First off, I give good critiquing. At least, I like to think so. I just don't do poems often because... well, you don't want to hear my poetry rant.

Regardless, stories are no different. Poetry shouldn't get preference just because it's *faster*. Good critiques take time no matter what you're reading, period.

Furthermore, Gala is exactly right. Read the rules rules over once or twice.

Also, "A request" sounds a heck of a lot more pleasant than a "Demand." Demanding critiques will just get funny looks, I think. And fewer critiques, as it were. Despite all of this, I'll probably give your poetry a look-over, maybe ... but if you want a 'real' critique, I'm going to be honest. Be prepared for that, ne.

And I'd appreciate it you looked at some of my fiction in return. Some of us just write more (and better) fiction than we do poetry. *shrug*[/url]

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:06 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

if your going to be a ***** to people, then why the hell do you think we should be doing you and favors? if you think we would be jumping over eachother to give your little pieces some editorial review, not only are you sadly mistaken, your an idiot for thinking so.
now, if you changed your aditude, into something that is socially presentable, and politely requested that we give you some feedback, i would be happy to do so, i would even go out of my way to do it. but as it is, i feel like going out of my way to be an *** to you.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

915 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:52 pm
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Well, Qi, as much as I'd like to agree with you, the post worked. I've gotten enough critiques on it. And I didn't even really want critiques, I just wanted a "yea" or a "nay," as was stated in a disclaimer on the post. I'm a ***** to people...so? And apparently people did jump over each other to comment on it. You did not, but who cares? All I wanted was at least 4 different persons to comment on it. Also, observe the sarcasm at the end of the very first post:

To be quite honest, I'm sorry you missed the sarcasm there. I was well aware I'm caustic and leave insidious remarks on the poetry I read and review, but only with the highest amount of thought I can use. I do not give an obligatory malignant response to poems; however, many of the poems on this site I find to be somewhat immature. And I understand it is a young writers club (hence the word young). So, I leave scathing comments for the sole intent that they will not want such comments on their next few posts, and will make a decent effort to try to up the level of their poetry. So far, dear, it's working.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:00 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I looked in on the dramatic section and saw you had no fewer than 8 poems on the first page. It's a little off-putting to see so many, hence not as many replies on poems. I only got a few comments on some of my poems too, so I think we're all in the same boat, my reason is because I'm so unsure about my own poetry that I don't feel right enough to pick holes in other peoples when I doubt I could write as well as that anyway. Or something.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

This thread will be closed if the language does not improve.

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous