z

Young Writers Society

Which rule would you burn?

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

I have to say that I agree with everything said here so far.Particularly the whole bit about the fragments. :) I write so many fragmented sentences that if I don't fix them while I write it will take me just as long or longer to go back and fix them then it took me to write the entire piece.

I do have one thing I would like to add. I believe it is better qualified as spelling, but grammar and spelling are grouped together so often that I figured it would be okay to bring it up anyway.
The rule I before E except after C bothers me. I mean do you know how many times that rule is broken? (Weird, foreign, beige, neighbor, feisty, heist, must I go on?) Why is it even a rule if there are so many words that break it? Shouldn't it be more of a guideline used when trying to figure out the spelling of a word?
That one just bothers me so much it's not even funny.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

I would totally burn the "do not start a sentence with but, because and and" rule! It's just so annoying and in the way sometimes! I'm sure there's a good reason for it and all but I still want to burn it :D
The World Is Mine.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Silverlock wrote:I would totally burn the "do not start a sentence with but, because and and" rule! It's just so annoying and in the way sometimes! I'm sure there's a good reason for it and all but I still want to burn it :D

Oh, I know! I detest it so much, every time I want to start a sentence with it, the rule just burns in my mind and I have to add a few extra words to compensate for it. x.x
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:19 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

@Silverlock & @SubtleSanity

Those are teaching tools, you can in fact start a sentence with "But" and "Because", and still use correct grammar, however its hard to do that correctly, often resulting in awkward sentence structures. That set of rules first appeared as a teaching tool, a simplification (schools often do that, remember all those rules you get for math that keep changing every time you get to the next level?), however it never was designed and never has caused a change in grammar.

For example, if you wanted to use "Because" at the beginning of a sentence:

"Because the principal will not be in the building, the assembly has been postponed."

In addition, "but" can be used informally quite easily, for example:

But I am still awaiting his reply.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

301 Reviews

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 am
Snowery says...

@Zolen I know that we can use but, and etc.. in dialogue and first person but not any other way and it still being grammatically correct. Could you explain this a little more? I'd love to know :D
The World Is Mine.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:51 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

@Silverlock

The word "because" can be used pretty much anywhere, its perfectly acceptable to use it as long as the sentence contains a cause-and-effect relationship, such as was shown above. Pretty easy really, its just a matter of remembering that little nugget. (Note you can ignore this nugget and it still be considered correct grammar [abused but still correct], however that requires specialized context.)

"But" "and", blah blah, all of it can be used, its simply a matter of being stuck in informal usage when you do.

If you wanted to use "but" for a sentence, something that would work is:

But we hope to write an agreement today.

More? Than we throw in a example where "and" would work:

And Clare knows how to write a good report.

Perfectly valid and descriptive, and proper grammar. A teacher who is trying to make a point might shake their red marker at it, but a book editor will let it slide.

(Yes I know my own grammar is all over the place, but my examples are still valid.)
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

= . =

I cringe every time someone unnecessarily starts a sentence with 'and' or 'because.' It genuinely drives me crazy. I mean, I don't mind if the rule is broken for a reason. Let's say Molly comes to the road and stops to look both ways. She sees the bus hurtling towards her.

And steps out onto the road.

That's impact. That's a good reason to break the rule. But starting sentences. And not completing them. Because the comma just isn't doing it for you. Makes me want to slice up the web page with a crafting knife so that I can re-arrange the words and glue them back together.
We were born to be amazing.

301 Reviews

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:23 pm
View Likes
Snowery says...

^^That made me grin XD
The World Is Mine.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 pm
lostthought says...

Well, as far as I know, the rule doesn't take play in dialogue.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:55 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

There are no rules really. Grammar is what you make it. Only general consensuses, and they are often changed.
But I would like to bring back congigations in English.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm
View Likes
NightWolf says...

Commas after every adjective. I got annoyed with an old teacher for this because I wrote a sentence "She picked up the light blue notebook." And cause my teacher misunderstood, she forced me to change it to, "She picked up the light, blue notebook."

I was so annoyed.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane