z

Young Writers Society

How do you write?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:45 pm
snap says...

I have a question for all you novel writers out there: How do you write?

I am in the process of writing two novels, and the first I began chronologically. I began with chapter one and made my way through the book. This I found extremely difficult, and I am actually rewriting it.

The second I began by fleshing it out A LOT, and eventually began to write scenes, where I would write the climax by itself, or another scene that I didn't know where it would go in the book, but I wrote it anyway. And then later, I went back and put them in the order I wanted and began to patch them together. This worked much better for me, and now I am almost to the editing stage.

Are there any other ways that you guys write novels? Or do you write with one of these? What works for you?
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:03 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I must say I haven't tried the latter, I generally tend to write chronologically. However, when I do write I rarely have the whole plot organised, which is why I have stopped the actual writing for the moment in order to concentrate on outlining.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:47 pm
View Likes
Goldenheart says...

I always write scenes in order, and the first draft is always dreadful. But then I write a second draft, and take the elements I like from the first, and add them in. It seems to work better that way for me.

Goldie
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:35 pm
scrambled_pages says...

Ok, I shall forewarn everyone that this will probably be rather long winded and I'll also probably ramble a lot... so brace yourselves, or of course you could just skip this whole post !LOL!

When I first began writing consiously, meaning that I had actually considered that wriing might be something that, if worked on, could develop into more than a hobby, I wrote scenes and then attempted to stick them together later. This did not work for a number of reasons:
1 - I was constantly changing the plot as the characters took on lives of their own, and so many scenes that I had worked sooo hard on were no longer relevant.
2 - I often lost scenes in my hardrive, or they were merely forgotten.
3 - It just added confusion and unecessairy effort because piecing them together was by no means as effective as I had thought.

Next I tried to force myself to write cronologically, that did not work either. I was always thinking of things that I wanted to write and my procratination level shot through the roof because I was not always writing what I really wanted to work on.

Thus, I came up with the method I now use religiously with everything that I write.
I write the story cronologicaly on the computer, and I keep a seperate notebook for each seperate project (just small ones from the dollar store for short stories, but seperate notebooks nonetheless!). In these notebooks I can outline scenes, I can jot down random sentences, but I do not allow myself to write whole scenes...that way when I get to that part of the story I can adjust the scene to the path the story has taken without feeling like I am killing a part of myself because I am not too atached to the under developped chunk of the story.

To further organize myself (yes, I am a little compulsive about my organization, if you knew me better you would know that for me it is necessairy...) I divide the notebook into about five sections so that the random scenes are written in as chronological a way as possible.

All right, I think that's it. I hope I didn't give anyone a headache :wink:
really interresting topic by the way...

-Gen
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:23 am
snap says...

That sounds like a really good way to do it, s_p. I'll tell you why I find writing chronologically didn't work for me:

You're right, I was never working on what I wanted to work on, and it frustrated me.

I have to know exactly where I'm going to begin writing. I might change a few things on the way, but for the most part, I know what the climax is going to be, who's going to die in the process, and how the hero will save the day. Therefore, I can write scenes fairly confidently, knowing I will most likely use them.

Lastly, I find that in my writing, especially novels, I have too many small things. I tend to have a lot of foreshadowing and hidden meanings, and I don't think about it when I'm going from chapter to chapter.

I find that it's much easier, for me, if at the beginning I write out everything I want to be in my book. If there's an important relationship established between two characters, then I'll write down how and relatively when I want it done. When I have all the scenes I want, I open one word document. I title each scene as its seen on the list I've made, and write. I put a page break between each scene, so they don't run together. When I have all the scenes written out, I take out index cards. On each card, I write a scene. Then, I sit down at a table and put the index cards in order of how I want them. Next I call the "stitching." I put the scenes together, writing in between to make them fit. This is the significance of titling each scene exactly as they were on the list: I can do a "Control + F" to find the scenes I want, and copy and paste them. Then, obviously, I move on to editing. I find this works much better for me, because it breaks down what would normally a very large and daunting task into many small steps.

By the way, I also keep notebooks for each of my stories, but I use them to write in class when I'm not paying attention :), and copy them into the computer later. I, too, find it very helpful.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems