z

Young Writers Society

Beauty--the Beast

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun May 13, 2007 4:21 am
snap says...

Most of you don't know this, but I've been working on a novel called Beauty--the Beast. It is very near completion, and I've finally completed query letters, only because I couldn't wait anymore. The query letter in itself was very nearly harder than the novel itself. They will be judging my novel--my very own blood, sweat, and tears for the last four months--on one paragraph. The one paragraph in the letter that's actually supposed to be about my novel. It was never right--it's still not, but I decided it was the best it was going to get without actually rewriting the novel.

Anyway, I just finished sending off the email queries, and the snail mail ones will be going out on Monday. Now I wait. I'll probably be getting the first few rejections in the next few weeks, but the wait will still drive me crazy. This'll probably serve as my procrastination site more than anything else. Next time I'm on, I'll try to post a synopsis for you, but right now it's really late, so I'll do it later. :)[/i]
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 am
Tyd says...

Good luck! At least your finally sending out your material and getting it looked at =D And keep trying, the first herdal is always the hardest!
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun May 13, 2007 1:22 pm
Wiggy says...

Listen, I would not send off the queries yet, simply because when you DO revise your novel, it may have a changed storyline. Then you'll have to write all those queries again, and why waste more time? Revise, revise, revise!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun May 13, 2007 5:22 pm
Lady Pirate says...

Trust me, I'm going though the same thing. 23 rejection letters and going, but it's really not so bad. The waiting and all, somtimes you just have to let it slip you mind. Let me know how it turns out...
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

14 Reviews

Mon May 14, 2007 9:09 pm
snap says...

Well, I've officially gotten my first rejection.

This is not for me; however, I wish you great fortune in finding adequate representation and eventual publication.

It wasn't unexpected, obviously. Actually, I was really surprised at how fast they got back to me. I haven't even sent the snail mail queries out yet, though I'm on my way to do so now. Writingluver, in answer to your question, the only thing I have to do is put in a little more here and there. I've actually edited, and through the process, realized I just need to make some parts a little longer. And, since I already started with a road map of where I wanted it to go, I doubt my actual story line will change. I don't think I'll be adding enough for my story to change significantly. :)

Anyway, thanks for the great responses. I'll go back to waiting now...
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue May 15, 2007 2:13 am
AndNeverAgainx3 says...

what is a query letter?
im nearly done with the first of two books that i've been working on for the past three years. i'm considering self-publication but i want to get it published by a real company if possible. tell me if you want to read it!
-Andi x3s youuu-

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Tue May 15, 2007 2:16 am
Writersdomain says...

Good luck!

It sure sounds like an adventure!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 am
JC says...

I've been through the same thing. Query letters are a...(b word) to make. I sent out a few to some editors, none of whom replied with any good news...i.e rejection. Eventually I gave up on Illusions (that was my first finished book) because I realized that it wasn't really up to my standards, let alone anybody elses.

Anyways, there's a really good site on getting published, no doubt you've heard of it, but it has tons of cool information along with many listed editors and publishers that you can look up. So, yeah...

www.writersmarket.com

Good luck with your story! I wish you the best of luck!
-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue May 15, 2007 2:52 am
oregongirl says...

Good Luck! :) I hope your story can get read and maybe published. :D Good luck again

:elephant:
OREGONGIRL

14 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 6:44 pm
snap says...

AndNeverAgainx3 wrote:what is a query letter?
im nearly done with the first of two books that i've been working on for the past three years. i'm considering self-publication but i want to get it published by a real company if possible. tell me if you want to read it!

A query letter is a short letter written to try and draw agents in. It's short and sweet, with one paragraph about your book, and one paragraph about you, and, if it's poorly written, there's absolutely no way your manuscript is going to get published. It doesn't help that, as mentioned, are really HARD to write.
Here's a site, if you want to write one.

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/pub ... book4.html

Thanks so much for all the support, guys. I just got my second rejection. Yay!! :) Well, at least I know agents are reading the letters, which is something, I suppose.
~ Robert Cormier

14 Reviews

Fri May 18, 2007 6:50 pm
snap says...

Well, after countless rejections, and much anxiety, I received this upon opening my email:

Your premise sounds intriguing, and if you wish to send me a synopsis and the first fifty pages, I will be happy to read them and get back to you. If you wish, you can send them as an email attachment.

I look forward to reading your work.

It's my first positive response, and I don't know where it'll go, but I'll be sending my work out next week. I don't know if this has made me more nervous or less. :)
Last edited by snap on Sun May 20, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Robert Cormier

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat May 19, 2007 2:01 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Oh congrats on that positive response! Good luck getting your book published!

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat May 19, 2007 2:25 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Yay! *Dance*

Wow. How exciting. I'm surrounded by people who really want to publish their book, and some are actually going to get the chance to do so.

Really, don't sweat on queries, though. Chances are you'll have to do them for the rest of your writing career, and as you get more confident and positive, and self-esteemed-up, then it'll just get better.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon May 21, 2007 12:19 am
xtenx says...

That's so great that you're already getting positive feedback! It can take a long time. Congrats! Queries are definitely the hardest part. Having it done is definitely a relief.

Good luck with everything! And keep us updated :) I hope everything goes well!
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

14 Reviews

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:18 am
snap says...

Okay, time for an update. :)

I'm still currently waiting for a response from the first agent I got a response from, and from my research, I guess it can take up to 2 months. *sigh* It's only been about three weeks.

Meanwhile, back at headquarters... :)

As it turns out, the mother of one of the kids at the school my mom works at just started a business as a literary agency. Ironically, the place she worked before she started her business is the same agency that the other agent looking at my work is from (Writer's House) Anyway, we got her number, through a series of contacts, and called her up. She was extremely kind, and asked that I send her my first fifty pages and a synopsis. I'll probably send it out tomorrow.

So here's my dilemma: In my query, I said in the last paragraph that I'd only send my manuscript to one agent at a time. Since then, I think I've learned that this wasn't the best move on my part. At the time, I was under the impression that it was what agents expected, and it's not. I will probably send a note saying I have another agent looking at this as well, and name her. But, on the unlikely instance that they both offer representation, I'm puzzling out what to do. The common protocol, apparently, is to tell the offering agent to let you think it over, inform the other agent(s) looking at your work that you've received an offer, and the other agent(s) will then either politely decline, or read your work in, like, a day, and tell you if they're interested, and perhaps make a better offer. Should I do this? I don't know, I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, and I should cross that bridge when I come to it.

The other option is to just not send out to this agent yet, but as she is just starting her business, it's an excellent opportunity to have her look at my work, and I feel that if I wait, it'll only result in getting rejected by Writer's House, and having her too busy to actually look at it. I also have a very good advantage because I've talked to her, and can explain things, speak with her, etc. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Anyway, that's where I stand now. I'll check back in a couple of weeks. ;)
~ Robert Cormier

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller