z

Young Writers Society

Magical Endeavors

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:01 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

I've had quite a few novel ideas since I began writing, some good, some painfully bad, but out of the mess I've managed to pursue a few choice projects that I hope I can publish one day:

The Marking

Looks like something new, but not really. It's just me being obsessive over titles. This is essentially my story "Why" which was renamed "The Oil Mark" on its second draft and is now being renamed again. It will stay "The Oil Mark" as long as it's on YWS, since it's less confusing that way. As for the story itself, it concerns a modern world that is split into two class divisions. The upper class are the "normal" people, and the lower class are the "others", which are distinguished by a special marking on their bodies. A boy named Max enters this world for the first time, without the prejudice train of thought that has built up over generations. Because of this, he is able to see the world for what it truly is. Strangely enough, he is not the main character (specifically, not the viewpoint character) so its all very ambiguous.

Shades of Despair

The first chapter of this is already on YWS. It's my attempt at a sci/fi/horror type thing, but more emphasis really on the sci/fi part. Its about a girl who loses her mother to a band of soul stealers. Desperate to save her poor mother, she goes on a journey infiltrate the gangs' dark workings in order to set things right. But then, Oh, no! Plot twist! In the process she accidentally unleashes an unspeakable evil, which means I shouldn't bother explaining it any further than that. Again, the first chapter is up, but the rest of the plot is still coming together, so it will be a while before I write anymore.

A Winter Memory

Currently this is a short story I've posted on here. It's about a mother and daughter who spend the winter in a secluded forest place, and the daughter kinda gets kidnapped by demons. So it's up to her emotionally spiraling mother to save her from the clutches of darkness and such. Yay for the daughter? I just love this story so much I want to turn into a full length novel, because short stories just don't cut it for me. I have too much story to tell.

Removal

An excerpt from this is labeled "Dinner for two" that I posted recently. I first intended it to be just that piece by itself, but then I found myself asking questions about what the Removal could be specifically, and I came up with a loose novel plot! Basically, in the story children are selected from certain households from a very early age, and when they turn thirteen they are sent to labor camps that essentially run the city. Amidst the horrible things that they do there, their main job is to mine a precious fuel substance that sustains the city. The main character just doesn't want to get with the program, so he attempts to make a break for it.

[s]BlackGhost[/s]
Last edited by Black Ghost on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:33 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Good idea. And you're right, there are loads of people out there who haven't finished a novel but you know when it feels right. Last summer I felt this way about one and within three months my sister and I reached the final chapter. Admittedly we're still re-drafting and re-drafting but we have a possible publisher now and it's going to be complete. Whenever it gets hard just remember that you'll feel brilliant when you have the finished novel in your hand.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

277 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:35 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Thanks for the encouragment, Kitty15. I've also done some thinking and figure it's okay to have more than one writing project at play, so I went ahead and added all the other projects I'm working on and want to attempt in the future.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Wow, that's a lot of projects but they all sound interesting and you're right, there's nothing wrong with multiple projects. I'd die if I could only work on one novel at a time and I wouldn't get anywhere from deciding which to work on! I think I like the idea of The marking best but the Removal sounds interesting too.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

277 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:19 pm
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

VIEWPOINTS ARE ANNOYING:

Alright, The Oil Mark is getting on my nerves as far as viewpoints go. It's in third person, yes, but I can't seem to decide who to tell it through. After some internal debating, it's come down to either Max or Molly. I've made Joe a minor character now, and he's become more of a motivation for Molly's actions than anything else. Now if I make Molly the viewpoint, it will become a mystery/rescue kinda thing, but from Max's viewpoint it will be at the other end of the spectrum (yes, I'm not making sense). I'm starting to lean towards Molly, but it's still a frustrating decision. Hopefully I'll come across some reason that will concretely justify either one of them.

Or not. :?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:03 am
View Likes
Kel says...

These ideas do sound very, very interesting. I think "Winter Memory" sounds most to me, but "The Marking" takes a close second.

Having more than one writing project, I think, is actually more inspiring. It lets your mind work on something else, which is when the "eureka!" moments normally happen. After all, don't you find your shoes when you're looking for your socks?

As for the POV dilemma, it would be too confusing (from the sounds of it) or maybe unfair to the characters to jump from one to the other?

What makes you want to choose Molly over Max? Do you enjoy writing for Molly more? Or does it seem like Molly would progress the plot in a better fashion? I've seen a lot of people pick the one that's harder for them to write for because it'd be a challenge, but that's not always the best. It's also not always the best to pick the one that's easiest for pretty much the same reason.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

277 Reviews

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:37 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Well basically, my dilemma comes from the plot. I can't decide what would be more exciting/relevant to the reader: the events as they unfold before Molly? Or as they happen to Max? I'd be happy writing for either one, it's just that I'm having trouble deciding which plotline would make a better novel.

277 Reviews

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:00 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

So...

A Winter Memory is actually going really great. It's turning out the way I wanted to, which is actually a rare thing XD.

As far as plot goes, I have it planned out, which means the ending has been decided. It feels good knowing where it is I'll end up, it takes the pressure off the journey. :)

MM

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 pm
View Likes
Jasmine Hart says...

Yay!That's great! I'm so in awe of people who can plot things out. I tend ot make things up as I go...
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

277 Reviews

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:34 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

Hehe, making things up as you go isn't a bad way to go, either, but if I work like that I'm bound to head straight into a wall. XD

MM

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:19 pm
View Likes
Jasmine Hart says...

Lol. Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet