z

Young Writers Society

Memento Mori

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:29 pm
Fishr says...

Jack suggested that I expand and try a different era a few months ago or longer for all I remember. He was right partially. I'm too comfortable in the 18th Century. Afterall, I've spent the bulk of six or so years studying it off an on since I was 12. So, to get my feet wet, I did start a new era. I just went further backwards. XD First it was the Salem Witch Trials, and now, it's the Mayflower.

Memento Mori is going to be a five chapter novel, or "booklet" if that suffices. :) I've only written an introduction but I'm debating at removing it and only leaving the dedication. The dedication is very impoortant but the intro? I'm not sure if it's imparative yet.

At any rate, as soon as I figure out the exact roles, and the dang plot, the story will commense. I'm especially excited to use colonial dialect. I was toying with the idea of using First Person and speaking exactly how the illiterate numbskulls spoke and wrote such as, "book" may had an "e" at the end. I've seen accounts of "we" spelled as such, "wee" and so forth, just how it souned to the ear. But I think that if I did write the whole text in "pure," 100% colonial dialect, the reader may have one killer headache! So to avoid this, I can use such phrases through dialogue instead, thanks to the decesion of using Third Person.

Uh, how much of that last paragraph made sense? ;)

I think the first chapter is going to start out with my main character, who is preturbed or so it seems playing through my memory. Who is he? Yes, it's a "he." His name is said in the dedication in the HF forum.

Guess that's all for now.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:56 pm
Icaruss says...

Don't know if this is of any significance at all, but there's a pretty good and somewhat known short story called Memento Mori. It was written by Christopher Nolan's brother, and it was the basis for the script of the movie Memento-- which is a very well-known, excellent movie.

Just saying.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:10 pm
Emerson says...

Well, I believe she chose Memento Mori for only it's meaning. ^_^ Which I completely like.

D: give me more Fish, will you? I already read the intro. XD
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:14 pm
Icaruss says...

Yeah, I know she didn't copy that story or anything. I just find it annoying when I've chosen a title and it's already been used by some other guy.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:20 pm
Fishr says...

Interesting. Didn't know there was a movie out known as "Memento." I took a look at the film on IMDB. Doesn't look half bad.

Suz- Why thank you. ; ) I've started writing the first chapter a little but I won't be to work on it further it seems until Nov. 1st. Tonight, maybe tomorrow and Halloween, it's my last hurrah before I go into hybernation. Tonight I'm dressed a the living dead to benifit cystic fibrosis in a haunted warehouse that I helped build. Even tied the real thing - the Hangman's Knot (noose) for a prop. I was thinking about bringing one of my bayonets or bowies and be an murderer coming out, looking for fresh meat! :D A certain theme to my costume which is typical for me.

But, at any rate, it appears I'm going to have my hands full with the elder, John Billington. He's already causing trouble, and I only have three paragraphs written.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Moo.
— Cow