Young Writers Society

Sureal Tiptoeing into the World of Short Story Publishing

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:16 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Sureal Tiptoeing into the World of Short Story Publishing

Being the over-ambitious, more-confidence-than-actual-skill sorrta writer, I’ve tried my hands at having some short stories published. Originally this was an attempt to strengthen my University application - I wanna study English Literature with Creative Writing - but now I’m doing this simply because I want too. Presumably it worked for the whole University thing though too; all six of the Universities I applied to accepted me.

So far I’ve had two short stories accepted for publication, have three rejected, and one more awaiting a response. I’m gonna list here, and update every now and then, the acceptances and rejections I receive, plus any points I learn along the way, so that you may learn from my mistakes.

Acceptances and Rejections:

‘After Life’ -- Delivered -- Acceptance -- Payment in free copy of magazine

‘Santa is the Devil!’ -- Twisted Tongue Magazine -- Acceptance -- Payment in free PDF of magazine

‘First Contact’ -- AlienSkin Magazine -- Rejection -- 'Writing needs work'

‘Differences in Opinion’ -- Forgotten Worlds -- Assumed Rejection -- No Reply

'Crawford' -- Fantasy Magazine -- Pending Response -- Sent 26/5/07

'Differences in Opinion' -- Fusion Fragment -- Rejection -- Standard Form Rejection

Learning Points:

--> When emailing a short story to a magazine, for the love of god make sure you’ve remembered to attach it. If you do happen to make this mistake, blame Hotmail.

--> Read the magazine’s website multiple times. Make sure you’re doing everything they ask.

--> Actually put some effort into the stories that are to be sent off.

Useful Links:

www.duotrope.com -- this is your god. Is a database of magazines that published prose and poetry, with lots of information on them.

www.shunn.net/format/story.html -- a useful guide to how to format your manuscript. If you look professional, you’ll (hopefully) increase your chances of publication. Although, anything posted on the magazine’s website takes precedence over this.

And there we are - you’re up to date with my adventures within the world of short story publishing ;).
Last edited by Sureal on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I wrote the above just for you.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:20 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Rock on sur! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:32 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Awesome, I'm just getting ready to write a few short stories, I'd love to get 'em published... I wonder if it matters whether its in Australia or not though.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:47 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Awesome Sureal. I hope to be sending off some short stories at some point, so this will help me immensely.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:28 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Awesome, I see you have been sucessful thus far.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

506 Reviews

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Jiggity: No, it shouldn't matter. Most magazines will accept submissions from all over the world.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:11 am
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Thanks for the links, Sureal! If I ever manage to edit any of my short stories to my liking, I might send some off, and this will be so helpful. I wish you the best of luck! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 am
View Likes
Myth says...

Oh, congrats on getting published, I'll be sure to check the above links for the short story I'm planning to send off.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

506 Reviews

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:14 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I was just looking back over the stories I'd sent off.

With the comedy After Life (accepted by Delivered), I noticed a number of punctuation errors and some poor writing. But despite this, there are still some pretty good jokes in it.

Here's a quick conversation from it, after the protagonist - Charlie - wakes from being knocked out:

‘Charlie, dude, you okay?’ a voice asked. The sound sent a sharp pain through Charlie’s head and he grunted in reply.

‘Sir? How do you feel?’

Charlie sighed. ‘Like I’ve just passed through the bowels of Satan.’

‘In that case, I reckon Satan feels worse.’

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:38 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

XD

Oh dear... sick humor!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:29 am
View Likes
Swires says...

lol! Typical British humour.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm
View Likes
Lilyy03 says...

LOL!!

Oh, and it is awesome you've gotten things published. :D Good luck!

506 Reviews

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:27 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

Yay, my first rejection letter :).

We have all read, reviewed and discussed your submission, First Contact, and
we have decided to pass on the story.

Although the story fits within the genres we publish, the tale just didn't
interest us. We feel the telling of the tale still needs work.

We do thank you for considering AlienSkin Magazine for publication and for
allowing us the opportunity to review your work.

On a personal note, I do apologize for the delay in this reply. Generally,
we strive to maintain a 2 months or less response time, but an unexpected
flood of submissions caused us fell behind in our replies.

Do try us again soon.

To be honest, I was kind of expecting them to reject it. 'twas a terrible piece of work I sent off to them, and I'd have been extremely surprised if they had accepted it.

The story had poor writing, no origionality, poor characterisation, next to no description, dull dialogue and the science I used in it was incorrect.

My excuse for this poor piece of work? It was free-writen, in a single day, with very little editting, and had to be under 800 words - and I'm not really a fan of flash fiction. The most positive thing I can say about it, is that it had no spelling or grammar errors in it :).

Now that they're back open to short stories, and not just flash fiction, I may have another go at submitting to them. And this time, actually put some effort into the work.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:33 am
View Likes
Myth says...

Do we even get to see what you send off to publishers? Meaning, are you posting them on YWS?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

506 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:58 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

No, I prefer not to - makes life easier that way. No potential copyright problems.

For some reason, AlienSkin Magazine decided to send me another email, rejecting my story again, this time giving different reasons for the rejection. Odd. I think something's gone wrong with their database or summit.

An in other news, Forgotten Worlds (the other magazine I submitted too) is going through 'finanical troubles' at the moment, and is giving everyone the option of with-drawing any submissions they've made.

I'm tempted to with-draw the story I sent them. Not because I'm bothered by the longer reply time, but because I read over the story again a little while ago and found problems with it, such as an over-use of the passive voice near the end, and so expect it to be rejected anyway.

can we just be proud Nate isnt selling his bathwater. yewis celebrities are the best celebrities
— fatherfig