z

Young Writers Society

Title feedback/magic abilities

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 am
AWritersFantasy says...

I'm thinking of using "Twilight and Illusion" as the title of my Watcher story. It's a title idea that I got from an online generator. The Seventh Sancrium or whatever it's called, I believe.

However, the ideas I had for this story in terms of the main character took an interesting twist today, and I'm not quite sure if it's going to fit any more. The "illusion" portion of the title would've been almost literal, because the main character was going to have the ability to create illusions...but now I'm not quite so sure.

She's a Watcher, or rather she will be a Watcher, but I'm trying to decide whether or not she should be a seer and illusionist as well, or a healer and seer. If I made her a healer and seer, I would make it so that it takes a lot of energy to really heal someone's wound (although if it were something like, say, a cut, that might not be so bad), and that would be the difference between these Watchers and the Elders/White Lighters on Charmed when it comes to healing.

So basically:

1. Do you think "Twilight and Illusion" will still work? If not, do you have any other ideas for a title?

2. Should the main character be a healer and a seer, or a seer and illusionist along with being able to Watch people? Either way, technically she'd have three pretty..."heavy" magical abilities. Is that too much? Should it only be either an illusionist and a Watcher or a seer and a Watcher?

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:42 pm
McMourning says...

AWritersFantasy wrote:1. Do you think "Twilight and Illusion" will still work? If not, do you have any other ideas for a title?

2. Should the main character be a healer and a seer, or a seer and illusionist along with being able to Watch people? Either way, technically she'd have three pretty..."heavy" magical abilities. Is that too much? Should it only be either an illusionist and a Watcher or a seer and a Watcher?

1. Yes, Twilight and Illusion could work. It all depends on how the story falls into place.

2. I don't really understand what a seer is. But, the idea of being a healer makes sense to me. After all, she could heal the people she is watching. And, since she's invisible, they'd never know what happened.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:55 pm
View Likes
AWritersFantasy says...

Seer is just another term for like...a fortune teller. You get visions of the future or past or whatever. As for her being invisible...well, yeah, that's semi-true and semi-not true. XD She's going to be seen by the first person she's assigned to, and eventually exposed. But yeah...

I think I'll have to come back later and (since I'm planning on doing so in general) type up the newest ideas I got for the story and see where I can go from there in terms of the title fitting.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:01 pm
McMourning says...

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up.
A physchic would make sense, as a Watcher, and would work with Illusions being part of the title.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:30 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

I pretty much agree with what McMourning said as far as the healing powers and such. I love that title by the way, I think you sould keep it. I've got seers in one of my stories too, except they're much different than your kind. I like the fortune telling aspect of yours, the whole idea of your story sounds very interesting.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault