z

Young Writers Society

Twitterings: Of Unfinished Works and Skeletons

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:24 pm
Twit says...

This is probally going to be humungous waste of time, but even so, I occasionally get inspiration through hyperventillation.

Here's where I'm going to twitter on about THIOBS and Scarab, converse with my own characters and submit ideas to myself for consideration. If you fear that any of the above will drive you insane, then run for your life and sanity, as they will form the prime subjects of conversation.

Currently, Scarab is being planned out. I write the basic skeleton of each chapter's conflict in a notebook, and try to keep at least one skeleton ahead of each chapter written. Then I put the first draft of each chapter on here and tweak accordingly.

Emotions is what is lacking, and thanks to Alainna and sokool, I'm working on that. And also thanks to Shireling and others for pointing out that I start too many sentances with "I". As Scarab is in first person, "I" features pretty highly. Too highly; nix the eyes.

The fourth chapter of THIOBS #3, "The Worst of Times" is in progress. Important action happens there, and builds up for what happens in chapter five...

:smt073

After THIOBS #3, I have an idea for number 4, and after that one, I want to write one that's more of a Basil Rathbone one, as opposed to the canon/Brett stories that I've previously done. Rather, more action. In the Rathbone films, there's LOADS of tense action scenes, with Holmes nearly getting gassed, nearly getting shot in a shooting alley, nearly getting bitten by a poisonous spider, nearly getting dumped overboard, nearly getting his back broken by the Creeper.... the list goes on and on.

:smt068

Random Thought: Sesame Street is actually rather cute.

Phrase of the Moment: Sling your hook. Meaning, go away.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 pm
Alainna says...

I'm really loving Scarab and I'm glad that I can help. :smt101

So, when are you posting the next chapter?? Hehe, I had to ask!

Alainna
xxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:09 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

Next chapter, Alainna? Quite honestly, I haven't the foggiest idea. :smt004

:smt115

Okay, it's decided. After my three fantasy stories, I'm going to have a very long hiatus from fantasy. If I ever start weakening in that resolve, then punch me. Hard. :smt099

Fortunately, I have a notebook with ideas for historical fiction, ranging from the English Civil War to the War of the Vendee, from a boy with a talking dog in a Victorian music hall to a Chinese firework maker.

So, hakuna matata in that.

A little difficulty with Scarab's dovetailing. Russell T Davies' dovetails have me drooling with envy, and I'm attempting to give the Scarab series a whamming 'tail. Not that it'll be as splendid as Bad Wolf or Yana, but I'm not expecting it to be. :mrgreen:

Chapter Five of THIOBS#3: "All Flesh is Grass". Angst. Pain. Torture and INSANITY! No, seriously. The chapters to come have GOT to be good, I can't just knock them out. They must compost slowly and thoughtfully, tenderly and angstfully.

Sometimes I worry about myself. :smt104

Well, that's all folks! :smt031
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:13 am
Wiggy says...

Are you doing historical fiction? I heard that you were; if so, let me know, cause I love to read up on the latest hf pieces!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:11 pm
Twit says...

Congratulations, Twit. You're writing a cliche.

Said cliche being... The Turquoise Scarab.

I honestly don't know what to do. Do I keep Rohsair and scrap the plot? Do I scrap the plot and keep Rohsair? Do I scrap both?

Rohsair himself was inspired by a Doctor Who episode, "The Girl in the Fireplace." There's this one bit in that episode, where Mme de Pompadour says that the Doctor is lonely. So lonely, so very, very lonely. Such a lonely childhood... there comes a time, Timelord, where every lonely little boy must learn how to dance...

And I stole it.

I wanted a character who was lonely like that; he wasn't the last of his race, but he was lonely, so very, very lonely, because everyone of his race was lonely. I took a jumble of odd thoughts, put a face on them, and called them Rohsair, meaning Lonely flame.

And there is another secret in there that I'm not going to tell, because it's not such a secret at all. It's one word, and it's the same in two different languages. It's tied up with Rohsair's character, and elves and hopes and longings since I dreamed my first daydream.

Rohsair was stolen from Doctor Who, and that's plagiarism. Or is it? Because I changed him so he wasn't the Doctor, does that still count?

And dreams. Read Catherine Webb's work of genius and you'll see what I mean.

Off the Edge of the Rainbow fermented for years - since my first daydream, and I don't think that's a cliche. It used to be, but not now. Should I start that? Nix Scarab, put it on hold? I still don't know exactly what happens in Scarab, where I have a pretty good idea in Rainbow.

What should I do?

Me, producing a cliche and being proud of it. Go on, laugh, it's funny. Everyone else is laughing; don't feel left out.

As I mentioned in my blog, I got flamed today, and I deserved it. I'm not complaining about the flame, but I don't like this bit:

you're one bigoted little foul-mouthed troll, aren't you? You act like you're about eight years old and from the Fred Phelps school of feedback...

Who's Fred Phelps when he's at home?

I know some of what the flamer said was true, but I don't know what to do.

Scarab? Rainbow? THIOBS?

Something completely new? [Yes, Wiggy, I am planning historical fiction... there's a story already writ on here that's histerical - you could check that out and get a sample. Link: topic13537.html

I don't want to leave Rohsair; I really don't. He's not a Stu; he's got weaknesses and flaws and all, but are the main flaws in his story?

I've never completed a novel before. I gave up the first drafts of Rainbow because I knew that it needed loads of help, and now I'm doing the same thing for Scarab.

*head/concrete wall*

*hand/fire*

Confess! Confess! -Shinbone, kneebone...- Confess! -backbone, all your's dad!

Scarab's a cliche?

Confess!

The bones is your's dad!

#TNT

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 am
Alainna says...

Twit- I don't like it when you get all worked up like this. :(

1) Ignore those idiots and what they said to you. Don't dwell on it.

2) I LOVE Scarab. Please try and continue it- it doesn't matter if not every single name or idea is completely original. All writers use something to base their work on otherwise it would be impossible to write anything at all.

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:50 pm
Twit says...

Thanks, Alainna... :smt056

Scarab: Vegetating.

THIOBS: Being written.

Historical shortie: To be written.

^ Gee, don't that look proficent?

What will the h/shortie be about, though? Just need to find a plot, characters, conflict, detail, time, place, action, reasons. No biggie. :smt048

Yeah, right. Who am I kidding? Myself, perhaps? Yeah, I think I'm fooled pretty well.

Nah, whenever I see anything new, I generally get a shadow of an idea to write about, so all I need to do now is pick one. Sooo simple, right? :roll:

Probally it'll be set in Victorian times, about a boy who does an act in a music hall with his talking dog. He might meet a lamp-lighter, or a flower girl, or a chimney sweep or all of them. No ideas for plot as yet, but it will be called Stray and swimming in imagery.

The title came from the opening song for Wolf's Rain - woohoo! Lol, it just appealed.

So, hopefully, Stray might be up in the next few months, unless I get a new idea. Watch this space and all.

:smt027

#TNT

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:11 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Who said that to you? :smt065 C'mon, cough it up, I'll find out anyway. 'Cause they need a SQUASHING. That is NOT constructive critisism, that's not even critting a piece, that's someone commenting on you as a writer in an extreamely rude and un-called-for manner, and Nate needs to be alerted. *steams* Let me at 'em, let me at 'em!!!!!!!! NO ONE talks to my Twit that way. *falls on them like a ton of bricks*
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:58 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

*restrains gyr from doing the unthinkable*

Was that one of the flames you got on fanfiction.net? Some site - you may have flamed their work, but personal insults like that are disgusting.

Don't let it get to you, obviously they had nothing more intelligent to say, and it's not worth fussing over. :wink:

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:10 pm
Twit says...

Thank you Kaz and Gyr. :) My Pollyanna lookout on it is, "I can be glad that now my ego has been given a well-deserved deflating". *cringe* I loathe Pollyanna, but she had an interesting, if annoying, philosophy. Lol, it's only two flames I've ever had, so I suppose I ought to keep them safe and close to my heart. *hugs flames and gets burned so hugs Gyr and Kaz instead*

#TNT

440 Reviews

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I am much more huggable than fire, love, and I wonder what fanfic.com is thinking to let people like that on there. *steams a bit more, thanks Kaz for holding her back all the same* Anyway...don't you dare stop Scarab, you got it! I'm enjoying that one, darn you!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:06 pm
Twit says...

=)

Scarab is back on track. Do I laugh or hit something? :roll: :smt017

:smt043

:smt021

Gee, I'm glad I didn't attempt Psychology GCSE. Trying to study my brain would be more than I can handle.

Any new updates? The next chapter of THIOBS will be either in third person, with Holmes and Watson, or in first person, as an extract from Watson's notes/journal/whatever. Any ideas which one to choose? I'm leaning towards first person extract. Quite apart from anything contributing to effect, it'll be a good writing exercise, trying to replicate the original style and all.

Scarab will be more allegorical than it was first going to be, it won't be a series, it will still have the Star Sisters in, and Starska will still be in it. And I'll put Starina in as well, as a tribute to all of Robbie's help with her appearance. Robbie is my seven-year old brother, and I was thinking aloud when he was in the bath one night, and he gave me lots of advice on Starina's name and what she should wear, and what flowers she should wear in her hair, so I'm not going to throw that away. :smt106

:smt024

*whispers* Show me the rest! Now you're hip.

Check out the new post in Randomness, and you'll see why I have hippie slang on the brain. :smt101

#TNT

440 Reviews

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:39 am
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Wow, a Brit speaking hippie slang...just when you thought the world couldn't possibly get any wierder! ;) Really, though, I'm glad Scarab is back. Does this mean you want me to slice the next chapter, what was it, four or five?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:19 am
Twit says...

If you could, then, yes. :D Comments on anything and everything - then I can keep them in mind for the next draft.

#TNT

440 Reviews

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 pm
gyrfalcon says...

But which chapter! FOUR OR FIVE!

To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
— Tony Dorsett