z

Young Writers Society

Pen name?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 pm
Jassie says...

I was thinking that I wanted my pen name to be J.T. Simms.
The J is the initial for my first name, the T is the initial for my middle name and Simms is my real last name.

I decided to do that because I read how many authors use letters for their pen names just in case they turned out to be losers.
R.L Stine did this (and he's famous)

No, I'm not doing it in hopes that it's a good luck charm and I'll be famous, I just kinda like the way it sounds.

What do you think?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:15 pm
Rydia says...

I don't think an author's pen name is important but if it makes you feel more comfortable not to use your full name then you might as well.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:15 pm
Leja says...

So did JK Rowling (she's pretty famous too :wink: ), even though K isn't really her middle initial.

I think JT Simms is a pretty name ^_^

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 pm
xtenx says...

It has a nice ring to it :) A lot of authors do that, and it seems to work for them.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 am
chocoholic says...

Yeah, I'm thinking of changing my last name because what it means isn't the nicest word (I'm not comfortable telling you my last name on the internet. You'll find out if I'm published, though!). I think RM. Conway. R for my name, Rosie. M for my last name, and Conway was my grandma's maiden name.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 am
Loose says...

I was thinking Of making mine something like

"Cindy E. Belgrave"

Cindy being a nick name that can be formed from my real name, just like Lucy
(real name being LUCINDA)

E is my middle initial. I call myself E anyway, since my middle name isn't all that great.

And Belgrave is my street name...

Just a thought, however.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:11 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

i've always thought i'd just want my full name. my initials aren't that cool, but my full name is pretty. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:04 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

C.K. Baron :P

My last name is rather distinctive, also, but I doubt anyone would know how to pronounce it...and I hate it when people mispronounce my last name...so, Baron. ^^'
Last edited by Sumi H. Inkblot on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmeohmy

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:11 pm
Stori says...

It's James Stuart. James for a recognizable name, Stuart because that's my town.

Now, I realize too that my real name is distinctive, but what do y'all think?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:29 pm
Twit says...

My surname's rather distinctive, so I think I'll use that. Even if I am a loser, having a weird name on the spine of a book might inspire people to pick it up. :roll:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:25 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

My surname is double-barrelled, and, as far as I know, it's unique to me! :P However, for this reason, I'd have to either give myself a fake initial for my middle name (as JK Rowling did), as I don't have one, or use my full name with no initials, 'cause I'm not having one part of my surname in initials and the other not.

Failing that, I could always use a pseudonym - I've always thought that combining the names of different family members, ie. cousins, etc. is an effective and personal way to do this. But then, I've always wanted my own name on the cover of my book...

So, yeah, whatever's best.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:48 pm
Esmé says...

I don’t think that anyone would be able to pronounce my surname correctly… And the spelling would be even worse. I mean, I always have to repeat it - they always get it wrong. It’s kind of a habit. Repeat it two times, the spell it out. Jeez. Lol, in two subjects my name was spelled wrongly for like half a year.

So no, it’ll be a penname.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:55 pm
Fan says...

I have one of those names that will always be mispronounced in the most embaressing moments. And why surname...well lets just say that I share it with a thousands in Britain alone and worldwide probably in the hundreds of thousands. If I merely put in my first initial (which also happens to be the most common inital for my surname) and my surname, I'd be more inconspicuous than James Bond in a brothel. So I think I'd for something noticeable like S.G (my initials) Everest.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:11 pm
Perra says...

I'm thinking of using my middle and first initial and my last name, because they rhyme, or a short version of my first name and my full last name, because that rhymes. :D
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 pm
Jassie says...

Fantasyartist wrote:I have one of those names that will always be mispronounced in the most embaressing moments

I don't think you should care about your name being mispronounced. Some people still say JK Rowlings name wrong.
Some people pronounce it: r-OW-ling
others pronounce it: r-OH-ling like rolling

Idk :roll:
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
-Cyril Connolly
For more of my tutorials: http://myspace.keonnected.com/jsimms/en/index.html

Carpe Diem
— Catullus