z

Young Writers Society

In Need of Help

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:30 pm
Icaruss says...

So, alright. I know nobody cares or anything, but I just need to ramble about some things. I find myself knee-deep in half-finished stories and I need your help. Lately, I've been getting a lot of ideas. From watching movies, from reading stuff and even from being at a funeral. I just don't know which one to focus my energy on, and therefore I'm writing like a sentence each day, and won't be able to finish any of them at this rate. So... Help me choose. These are the things I'm working on:

Central (movie script): Movie script inspired by something I saw on the news. A group of jobless losers get together to make a tunnel from a rented room towards the house of a very wealthy individual. They get an architect to help them out against his will. Things go wrong.

Gravediggers (short play): Heroin addicts work at a cemetery. They dig up new graves to re-sell the coffins to the funeral home in order to support their addiction. They find 10,000 dollars in one of the coffins they dig up. Criminals come looking for that money later that evening. Things happen. There's a narrator.

Brotherly Arms (western novella): Western about two brothers.

Private, I (short story about a Private Detective): Used to be a cop, now works alone, gets hired to find a missing girl that's probably dead. Stuff happens.

Esplendor De Vida (novel in Spanish): I'm Peruvian, by the way, so I do know how to write in Spanish. It's a novel about a guy who's dying in a hospital and hates his life. His son is a criminal and doesn't know his father is dying, they are estranged. The dying guy wants a reunion and goes out of the hospital to look for him. It's quite funny, actually.

The End (short story): Two Nazi officers have a drink during one of the bombings of Berlin. They talk about how everything's coming to an end. One of them kills himself. Good stuff.

La Hoguera de las Putas (play in Spanish): Three friends call some whores.

All About The Fire, Dead Signals and Jack Lawton: Article about a guy who is building a tower made out of scrap metal in his backyard to contact his dead wife.

Little Children: An essay about what the movie Little Children is all about.

So, what do you think? :D
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 pm
Emerson says...

The End (short story): Two Nazi officers have a drink during one of the bombings of Berlin. They talk about how everything's coming to an end. One of them kills himself. Good stuff.

My eyes managed to jump at this one. XD I think it was the word "Nazi" that got me.

Write iiiiit! My NaNoWriMo is on SS officers. :D

Don't stress too much about writing projects. Just pick the one you love the most at the time, and get as far with it as you can. Try to finish everything, but not all at once. Something I read a while ago reminded me: nothing exists until it is finished. It seems an important proverb for writers lost in their works.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:49 pm
Rydia says...

We all care and Suzie is right. Choose one and try to write it, try to take it a little bit at a time, just write a page or so a week and even if it's not too good you can improve it later.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Emerson says...

Yes, why not try NaNoWriMo? Really, your first draft of anything (everything) is meant to be horrible. If you don't have something to edit, and make better, then you have nothing. You need a first draft, horrible, filled with plot wholes, worthless, to built it up and make it good. You can't spend you time editing each line. ^_~ That gets you no where.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

ooh, lots of mystery and intrigue! i like it! post a link soon, ok?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:51 pm
Leja says...

It sounds like you can't finish anything because nothing you've described has conflict. That said, this is the one that caught my eye:

All About The Fire, Dead Signals and Jack Lawton: Article about a guy who is building a tower made out of scrap metal in his backyard to contact his dead wife.

But like Suz and Kitty said, you've just got to buckle down and write something or you'll spend forever writing nothing. Good luck!

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:44 am
Kim says...

wow, you do have alot on your plate,
most of what you came up with is good, try concentrating on one thing, FINISH it. then take the second one and finish it ect.
write a chapter, then go back and edit it. but as you write, just let your mind go . when you are done then critique it.
let me know when you finish, i would love to read anything you write.

kim

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:55 am
Icaruss says...

Thanks for the advice.

So, I actually wrote something, and the first part of the Jackie Lawton article is posted up in the non-fiction forum. Anybody want to read it?
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird