z

Young Writers Society

Writing Music: Does it have to be scene related for you?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 pm
View Likes
ShadowPrincess16 says...

My best friend and I got into a small argument recently over the music we listen to when we write. We've finished our argument but I decided to ask YWS what they think. Sebastian (my bff) always listens to music that have lyrics (or a meaning) that goes with the scene he's working on. I, on the other hand, have one band that I listen to no matter what kind of scene I'm writing. (The band I listen to is my favorite band, Blood On The Dance Floor because Jayy Von Monroe and Dahvie Vanity are freaking amazing.)
My question for you guys is this: do you listen to music that that applies to what you're writing and why?
Thanks!
Shadow Princess
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:57 am
RacheDrache says...

I do both. I have playlists of songs that fit my characters and my novels, and if I write with music, I usually try o start with something that fits the mood of the scene. I use my character playlists to get me in harmony with a character, and novel playlists generally work no matter the scene.

But... when I'm in The Zone, it doesn't matter what music is playing. I've had writing nights where I've started listening to music that fits perfectly, then I've Zoned, and four hours later I'm listening to something that couldn't be further from where I've started, and I have no recollection of listening to all the music that led me there.

In the end, the best music to listen to while you write is the music that helps you write the best. For some that's no music at all. For some that could very well be Swedish death metal. For me it's whatever type of writing mood I happen to be in at the time, and if I'm Zoning, it doesn't matter.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Reviews: 1
Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 am
Milomex says...

The music I listen to when I'm writing isn't usually related to what I'm writing. Sometimes I do have certain pieces of music that fits the story I'm working on, but it's more often that I find myself adjusting my writing to what I'm listening to. So, rather than picking the music, I pick what I write, because the music inspires me to write a certain kind of scene.

It's always instrumental music, though. I can't write listening to music with lyrics, it's distracting.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm
Rosendorn says...

Considering music tends to influence what parts of my plot I daydream about, I'd say yes.

Although it has happened I Zone, like Rach, or I just need something to block out sounds. The latter mostly happens when I'm doing homework. xD But sometimes I just need music to start my brain then I zone out and forget.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm
EmmVeePi says...

The music must be related to the mood of my story, but that is it. If I am writing about drug abusing lovers I am going to listen to Hurt by Johnny Cash or something of the sort. If I am writing about a homeless man who is completely rejected by the world it will be something more like Save Us by Mushroomhead.

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature