z

Young Writers Society

Sparkles

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:01 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

This started off as a very short story back on TYWC, and I have had it for a long time. It's rather undeveloped and needs a lot of work (it's about 16,000 words), but I haven't shown anyone this yet for constructive criticism, so anything you can tell me will be helpful. In return, I will give as many points as I can afford, and critique anything you want.

The story is about a man who is having problems with a girlfriend he feels he can't trust, and expenses he can't pay, until one day a friend gives him an offer he can't refuse. Rated R for strong language and violence.
Attachments
sparkles draft 1.doc
(182.62 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:40 pm
Sam says...

Hey, Matt!

I don't think I've ever critiqued anything of yours before, so this should be fun. ^_^ I'll download in a little while and should get some comments back to you pretty soon-I absolutely adore critiquing novels, even if it does take me a long time to get around to it. -_- If you feel it's been a long time and I haven't sent you comments, feel free to poke me. I'm quite the procrastinator.

Anyway, see you around!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:46 am
LowKey says...

Yay!

Another novel for me to critique when I get my laptop back! Hope this forum sticks around long enough....

Really, though. Can't wait to read it!
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:18 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

So much for advanced critiques... I read over nine pages (so far!) and instead of giving a critique, I'll just ask questions.

1. Did she leave it in the trash can/bin on purpose? If I were her, I would probably hide it or do something else with it so that he doesn't see it. So she's either really stupid or kind of a bitch.

2. Why is he still hitting on her even though she's five years his senior? One would think he would lay off. Or maybe I missed something.

3. When Tom's in front of them, is their conversation (between Jimmy and Mark) staged? Why would Mark say such things, in front of Tom, so readily? Or did I miss something and Tom was away when that conversation happened?

4. Why would Mark confide into Jimmy so easily when it appears that they haven't contacted each other for years? Doesn't he think things might have changed?

5. Why does Mark reveal that he killed a man? Is he serious or is he just trying to brag? At the moment, it sounds like he's just trying to brag, because if he were really a killer at some point, then I would think that he would consider killing Tom. And he only thinks about that when Jimmy is around. A little too staged, if you ask me.

6. Why does Jimmy tell Mark about the hitman job so quickly? As it is, it looks like he's setting him up. Maybe he's an undercover cop working for this? But he seems to believe Mark a little bit too easily, so I'm guessing it's a set up.

7. Mark thinks that Lydia will be jealous. But she isn't jealous. In fact, her emotions are slightly flat. Is she jealous or is there something else going on? Why does she give up so easily?

8. When Mark tells Lydia that this is for their future children, I expected Lydia to have some sort of reaction to these words. But she didn't. Perhaps she's staging something for Mark?

As it is now, it looks like a huge set up or conspiracy against Mark. But who knows!

I shall read more later. At the moment, I'm on part 5.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:09 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I have this downloaded to my computer, Matt and I may get to reading it this afternoon. If not, I'll get to it next weekend.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:35 pm
Duskglimmer says...

So, I found some time a little earlier than I expected to.

I read the whole thing this afternoon and commented as I went. If you have any questions about my comments, feel free to ask. I hope this helps!

My edit is in the attatchment.
Attachments
sparkles_draft_1.doc
(248.05 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:30 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

I have to run, so I'll make this quick.

So, a note about the ending:

Her husband is turning into a hit man. Isn't it a bit thick of her to go and hide out in a place where there is nobody? He was angry, he was crazy. Why didn't she find other people? Seek protection? Go to Tom? There are so many more options, better options, that she could have taken. She seems smart, doesn't seem like the sort of girl who's dumb enough to do what she did - it goes against the character development you've been setting up from the beginning.

Also, it was pretty obvious that she was going to be killed by him. I wasn't expecting the knife through the mouth - which sort of creeped me out - but it was absolutely certain in my mind that he was going to kill her from less than halfway through.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 am
starrynight89 says...

Hey I downloaded your story and will get back to you soon! :)
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:13 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

SO... F******... SUSPENSEFUL. I could not tear my eyes away.
The style you wrote in made the story easy and simple to read, therefore not confusing in the least. You made us very informed about what Mark was thinking and what he intended to do.. very nice.
I gasped when he killed Lydia. I sat up straight as I was like, "OMFG!!! NO!! She was a bitch but she was cool!!!"
Great job, all in all. A few grammatical errors here and there, but I enjoyed it a lot.
:)
At the end I noticed that a 'sparkle' was a knife?
Cute. :)
Attachments
Sparkles.doc
LOVED IT!
(369.68 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Got YWS?

Reviews: 4
Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:37 pm
gingerheartsyou says...

Well, it was less grammar than I expected to do. Some things, though, stood out and I suppose they are just continental differences. For example, when you listed something, it was listed as:

Milk, eggs, butter and chocolate

As I have been taught, and I have read (with the exception of older classics), it is written:

Milk, eggs, butter, and chocolate

Also, when you had a - in a sentence and it wasn't connecting two words, you tended to not put a space behind it like:

I knew two things about him, that his name was Mr. Frank Gadsby-Frankie to friends-and he had an infectious laugh I couldn't ignore.

Again, as I have read and been taught, there is a space directly following it, and it should read:

I knew two things about him, that his name was Mr. Frank Gadsby- Frankie to friends- and he had an infectious laugh I couldn't ignore.

Snoink- you have to remember, he was quite drunk when he was talking to Jimmy for the first time in the story.
Attachments
sparkles draft 1.doc
Wonderful, wonderful work
(104.13 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 am
krazykoreandevil says...

this was intense and...very...violent. 0.0
well written but not my particular type. Violent man, this mark. well done job, kudos to you!

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:28 am
gingerheartsyou says...

My edit didn't go through so I am going to try to PM it to you if that's all right?

*nevermind, it did go through, I just couldnt see it! No worries!
"Old times" never come back and I suppose it's just as well. What comes back is a new morning every day in the year, and that's better.
-George E. Woodberry

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 pm
Zalex says...

Amazing

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:49 am
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

well, i can certainly relate to wanting to kill loved ones once in a while :roll:

not bad, but not really my style. i found it kind of dry at places, and a tad confusing at the beginning, but at least that cleared up.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:57 pm
Krupp says...

This started out real well. It in fact reminds me a lot of my first real novel, Rosko, which I wrote last year. Very similar characters. Dysfunctional protagonist. It's an admirable story so far. But the one thing I think should be fixed is the fact that Mark told Lydia that he was thinking about Jimmy's offer in the first place. It felt slightly unrealistic to me. Maybe you could put it in words that won't give away what he was thinking exactly, or something like that. And Lydia would not have hesitated to call the cops right away if she has learned her lover was going to kill someone. Maybe I'm wrong, but that just seems unrealistic to me.

Otherwise, the story works out quite well. Reminds me of No Country For Old Men, for some strange reason that I can't figure out.

And one last thing; you might want to consider double spacing your work so that it is much easier for others to critique...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka