niccy_v says...

third:
Writing gives my life purpose

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:41 pm
niccy_v says...

Fourth:

Please do keep going, it is going to kill me too (^^) and it's developed so well. I commend you highly on your descriptions, and you have imagery within the story done to the finest detail. Too rushed in parts though, like when you revealed Isaac as being a vampire, it could've lasted a little longer, and so the story feels a little rushed and hurried like you wanted to spit it out. Which is pretty much what you did in the last part. My eyes raced down the writing and there could be so much more there, when you threw that opportunity away to get to the point. My teachers call it verbal vomit- it just spills out without effective development.
It confused me a little bit when the character pushes his arm away and he's already moved it - needs definite addage there to describe actions more.

And a big flaw is indeed the dialogue (or what is after it should i say). He said, she said, i said, just turns the reader into autopilot and ruins the mood. I deleted as many as i could but it got ridiculous. Not to say you're a bad writer but there is SO much potential to put more into the story, bring it to life, just by the few words you threw away by taking the easy way out.

I look forward to more chapters! Keep them coming you're doing so well!
Writing gives my life purpose

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm
ashleylee says...

All right, this is my first time posting in Advanced Critiques, so just bear with me if my comments suck! :?

Anyway, here is the first four chapters that I corrected of your story. I must say, you have my attention!

Hope to see more! PM me when you do post more!

~ashley
Attachments
YWS ADVANCED.doc
(65.5 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to loveā€”and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:55 pm
zoorah12 says...

This story really caught my eye in the forums. I have never really been that into vampire stories, but I really enjoyed this one. I am a huge fan of authors who place their readers right into the action, and you did not cease to amaze me. I was hooked from the beggining with the death of her parent, wondering if that had even actually happened. I had shivers sent down my spine when I realized she was returning to the place where it had happened. Overall, I really like it. I did not really see to many gramatical errors, partly because I was too into the story to look. But, I think you did a really good job with this. I would really like to see more. Good luck with your writing excursions!
I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong.

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream