Young Writers Society

Dear Period

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:17 am
Butterfinger says...

Dear Period,
You unpredictable, natures' pet.
What did I ever do to deserve this treatment?
My pants won't fit, I'm bloating fast
My body aches, I need a cast.
The pain, it spreads
Like frost in the freezer
Like chocolate on a babies face,
Crippling my body, mind, and soul
Helpless in the fetal position, withering away.
Moaning, groaning, crawling across the floor
Whispering a silent prayer that seems to get frozen in time
Not reaching the heavens to bring me sweet relief.
Then out of the darkness, my God reaches down
And takes away my suffering with a wave of his hand.
If you want to be a great writer, don't think about what you're going to write, just write it.

I'm a huge fan of writers block! When your brain halts, with no direction for where you should go, it gives you threads. All you have to do is pull and unravel the story you're meant to write.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 am
LiesOnLies says...

Wow, how gross to talk about such a topic..lol. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone write about PMS on this site. So that's really brave of you to do so. This was written very well, if not completely gross. Also, if you get pregnant you won't have any periods for 9 months..lol

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:47 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Hello.:)

I'd like to see what a boy would say about this. Haha. I can imagine them reading this and going 'huh'? I think it's absolutely wonderful that you're writing a piece on this topic. I remember reading a piece on this site as well comparing her period to a snake stuck in her gut.

I disagree with the reviewer above. This wasn't gross at all. You wrote about it with skill, in fact, if you didn't state that it was about periods this could be any poem about suffering. I think it's very well-written. I always find it amazing when people create poetry about the mundane, and in this case, irritating parts of our life.

I think your last two lines didn't really match the rest of your poem. I guess it seemed an appropriate end to the suffering of the rest of the poem, but an appeal to God and him answering your prayer seems a bit too much.

Love to read more from you.:)

--Nixie
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:59 am
confetti says...

I saw this title and laughed. I like how relatable this poem is (for girls, I mean), but at the same time, I felt you made it a tad dramatic. The beginning was fine, but the end was where it got to be too much to me.
Crippling my body, mind, and soul

I don't know what sort of hell you go through, but my mind, body, and soul doesn't get crippled once a month.

Anyways, this was great. Cheers
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 am
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Sheesh, makes me grateful I'm not a girl.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 am
JaneThermopolis says...

"Liked" this! Honestly, you summarized it so well. When you're having your period, you just want relief as soon as possible, and you were able describe it so well that I actually felt pain associated with "that time of the month". Great work!!
Keep writing,
-Jane

(By the way, Master_Yoda, be glad you don't have to experience our pain.)
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 am
View Likes
mikepyro says...

yes while the piece is very well written and described I rolled my eyes big time at the crippling mind line. Even if it does feel like this for you almost no women have cramps that bad and thus you alienate your audience (in additiion to it being a fairly female orriented piece to begin with)

Still, this is a slightly humorous, well written, and original poem and you bring style and prose to it, despite the odd subject matter. You use great wordplay to get us to feel the pain here. :]

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 pm
June3 says...

Two words: AMEN SISTER!!!
I know how you feel, and this piece couldn't be anymore truthful. Some might think it's gross, but that's just how women work. You showed perfect understanding of the topic you were writing about (why wouldn't you you're a girl!!) it gave a perfect definition of the pain and suffering that us females have to go through. It reminded me of this one time at camp. A bunch of guys were saying that they have it the worst, and when I said otherwise, one boy said,
"Well, you get to give birth!"
see the irony?
You unpredictable, natures' pet
yep, that pretty much sums it up right there.
Moaning, groaning, crawling across the floor

I loved the way this line flowed, I know how painful it is, but it just made the whole ordeal sound so poetic.
That's all for now! Can't wait to read more! Keep on writing!!
There once was a women named Kent,
Whose nose was rather quite bent.
One day I suppose,
She followed her nose,
And nobody knows where she went.
-Unknown

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:46 pm
Demoness says...

Haha, you're really brave to write about a topic like this! It's something like.. half of the population on earth should be able to realte to yet it's such an uncommon theme to write about.

You've summed everything up very nicely in this poem.. It's quite uncomfortable to read somehow even though the rythm and flow was very good. Great, great imagery I love the part with chocolate in a kids face :P

For the bravery of writing this, for the amazing imagery and for fact that it was good! Here you go 4/5 spiders!

Good Luck & Keep Writing

// Demoness
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 am
Cailey says...

Hajaha! That was pretty hilarious, I have to admit, even though there is definitely nothing hilarious about periods. But still, you did an amazing job at catching the emotions and feelings that I'd say every teenage girl has to suffer through. I noticed that "natures' pet" the apostrophe should be before the s, unless you are saying there is more than one nature, which doens't quite make sense. :) I love how you use exaggeration to make it all sound so much worse than it really is. The crawling across the floor part was great. Also, cheers for being girl enough to post this, haja. :) Anyway, it made me laugh (although only because I am not having a period at the moment). Overall, this was awesome. Good job!
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:35 am
TheCodex says...

A fitting poem, to be sure. I like the metaphors, and, nice title ;) You're very brave to write about such a thing! I think you've captured that awful pain really well.
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:47 pm
Deanie says...

Hey butter!

I really liked this poem. It was amazing and very easy to relate to. I find it kind of humorous now that I think about the fact that poems on these kind of subjects are so rare. But you were bold and posted away anyway! o good on you!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)