z

Young Writers Society

Backwards Day

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 am
amygabb says...

Ashamed of the things that make me beautiful.
Proud of my biggest flaws.
Hurting my friends,
While I smile at my enemy.
Fantasizing about a girl
When my boyfriend kisses me.
Boasting about my accomplishments,
Wondering if you can tell I feel six inches tall.
I wear my mom jeans,
Still feeling like a slut.
Suppressing the urge to cry
At my sister’s birthday.
Fair is foul, and foul is fair.
What’s wrong?
I feel like I have my skin on backwards.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:58 am
chezka199 says...

Wow! I didn't really know what to think while I was reading this, but it's really good! I really loved the last bit though,

What’s wrong?

It is so pretty and makes you think!

I really can't review this because I didn't see anything needing to be fixed! Good job!

Keep writing,
chezka
“We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone
whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into
mutual weirdness—and call it love—true love.”
― Robert Fulghum ^_^

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 am
View Likes
StoryWeaver13 says...

Why howdy, I do believe I just reviewed another poem of yours! Well I definitely noticed some similarities between the two syntax-wise, but I like this one much, much better. It's still simple, but it retains a relateable series of emotions and it's something people can definitely understand personally. It almost felt like a string of thoughts to me, which I like in this case quite a lot. You didn't have to use complex words or rhyme schemes to make this emotional, and I like that.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 am
View Likes
skwmusic says...

Such is life of all teenagers. The tone clearly shows the narrators ambivalence on her(?) true identity, something that every kid experiences. I'd like more imagery. When I write poetry I pick a random object(s) like food or clouds or heaven whatnot and use that as a medium to draw connections to the real world. For a poem that expresses a sort of confused and angry tone that seems to contradict itself I would choose something like clouds since they are amorphous and can form practically anything. But of course that is just me. I would normally say a rhyme scheme to give it some sort of swing but it's already very good and that's just if you want to sort of relish it out. Perhaps the thing that moved me the most was
What’s wrong?

Very good phrase in the poem. Good work.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:46 am
View Likes
barefootrunner says...

You couldn't have put it better! There seems to be one grammar error, though. I'm not sure if you meant it to be that way, but "mom jeans" might really be "mom's jeans", but it doesn't have to be. I liked the lineation and starting most lines with a verb. The wording was good, I can see that you have personal style, which is wonderful and especially good in free verse, anchoring the poem to something solid. I think it is perfect as it is. I am usually highly critical of free verse -- it is often heavy, shapeless and listless, but this one has a shade of personality to it. I can make no further suggestions!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS