So now here I am
a real live lunatic
stuck in this place
the home for the manic.
Leaving so soon?
Come back anytime!
You could stay longer
if you commit the right crime!
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 am
TaylorTheGreat says...

This work is really well thought out and thought-provoking, ina good way. Sometimes, depending on the type of poetry or what you're writing about, it can be hard to rhyme. In your poem, you managed to rhyme, and I solute you for that. Your poem is very creative. It has... spunk! ;) Keep on writing!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 am
AstridBartleby says...

This is really quite fantastic. The light-hearted tone was an odd choice-- or so I thought at first. After reading it through a few times, I realized that the tone was what made it so creepy. The fact that you could use a very similar beat and apply it to a children's poem really throws the reader for a loop, which is great.
Your word choice is generally very good too. You seem to know just when to add a haunting phrase.
I must say that my favourite part of all is the ending.
Leaving so soon?
Come back anytime!
You could stay longer
if you commit the right crime!

This is honestly one of the most eerie conclusions to a piece of writing I've ever read. Well done. :)
I hope you keep up this kind of work. It's great, fresh and surprising. Bravo.
"Think: who has vans, huh? Soccer moms and serial killers." - Libba Bray Going Bovine

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 am
SwallowedByInsanity says...

Just as was said in the review above, the lighthearted aspect was an interesting choice, but it definitely did this poem justice. It was eerie and chilling and sent goosebumps running along my arms. I think the most bone-chilling line had to be
catslikebooks2 wrote:A dog got run over.
It made me grin.

I'm not sure why I felt this was the creepiest, especially considering there's a part in the poem where women have their hearts cut out, but that was just so... disturbing. "a dog got run over. It made me grin"
It made me grin...
The word grin just added so much more effect then something like 'smile' or 'smirk' would have done. Kudoz to you. This was comical and terrifying at the same time!
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 am
davidechoe13 says...

ooooooooooooooookaaaaaaayy weeeird lol
Think of the vastness of a story, What happens when the main character is not around?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:20 am
Misfit says...

Weird, I actually remember reading this before on this site by you! It made me laugh, I'm into dark humor like that. I honestly see nothing wrong with your poem. I like the sadistic rhythm to it. Where did you get the idea for this? Because it's wonderful.

My one nitpick is that you should make it longer! Forever may you write.

~ Misfit ~
“Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:53 am
View Likes
mithrim96 says...

Your poem made me grin! Well done, I love it. Your poetry is really thought provoking, eery, creepy and cool. Great work. It's interesting how, on certain lines, the reader feels confused about what the narrator is saying but is then immediately satisfied with reasoning or a conclusion usually written in a sadistic and creepy way that either disgusts or thrills the reader. Great work! I hope to read other things you've written!
Keep writing for as long as it brings you joy!

"It's important we build up a level of trust. That way I'll catch you completely unprepared when I suddenly accuse you of murder." - Skulduggery Pleasant (read it!), Death Bringer, Derek Landy

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea