z

Young Writers Society

Amor

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:31 pm
HorsebackWriter says...

Spoiler! :
One of the most difficult translations I've ever done. Message me is you want the English version. By the wya, it's latin and my grammar probaly sucks.

Amor

Quis est amor?
Est is vultus a matris dat suus parvulus,
Vel vultus a maritus dat suus uxor?
Est amor quispiam vos tactus,
Quispiam vos sentio?
Vel est is praeter ut?

Amor est adeo magis.
Amor est vultus a matris dat suus parvulus A maritus suus uxor.
Amor may non exsisto quispiam vos can tactus,
Tamen is est unus of plurrimi validus copiae copie obvius universitas.
Vos may non polleo sentio diligo lepor lepos vestri didgtus,
Tamen vos can animadverto is per vestri oculi.

“Amor est patiens,
“Amor est pius”
Amor est praeter ut.
Amor est mitis,
Amor est tripudium,
Amor est largus.
Quod plurimus maximus of totus,
Dum amor est difficilis,
Amor est infinitas infinitio.
"So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know it's last master was Disarmed? Beacause if it does...I am the true master of the Elder Wand."

"And quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."

~Harry Potter

66 Reviews

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 pm
HorsebackWriter says...

Never mind the spoiler, here's the English version:

Love

What is love?
Is it the look a mother gives her child,
Or the look a husband gives his wife?
Is love something you can touch,
Something you can feel?
Or is it more than that?

Love is so much more.
Love is the look a mother gives her child,
A husband his wife.
Love may not be something you can touch,
But it is one of the most powerful forces in the world.
You may not be able to feel love with your fingers,
But you can see it with your eyes.

“Love is patient,”
“Love is kind,”
Love is more than that.
Love is gentle,
Love is joy,
Love is Caring,
Love is bountiful.
And most important of all,
While love is hard,
Love is endless.
Last edited by HorsebackWriter on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know it's last master was Disarmed? Beacause if it does...I am the true master of the Elder Wand."

~Harry Potter

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm
Nightfallwriter says...

Hi!

First of all, I am in awe with your Latin skills – I dropped Latin class after just one year of torture. I really like the fact that you wrote the poem in Latin, it gives a tiny ancient touch to it, doesn't it? :3

I like that, in the first paragraph, you seem to question love a little bit, pretty much like "What is love, really? Does it really exist?" And then, you kind of proove yourself wrong in the second paragraph.

I am in love with your ending. Many lines with just a few words, it gives this special, poetic and dramatic feeling when you read it in your head (or even out loud, which I did to my brother just a couple of minutes ago, he thought it was great!). It's one of my favourite things about poetry, and you made it happen so clearly. I am overwhelmed with joy right now, I really love your poem.

To be a little picky, you made a typo in the second paragraph, sixth line. You wrote "able to feel love wit your fingers, " and it's supposed to be with, right? :3

I am impressed with your Latin also, but I sadly can't judge your grammar. I hope to read more from you. :)

Greets,
Nightfallwriter
I wonder how long it would take me
to run away tonight.

~

I don't review much because I am afraid to tell my opinion. I will try to change that though, so that I can make up for the reviews I get. I apologize... Also, I am not a native speaker of the English language, but I try my best.

66 Reviews

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 am
HorsebackWriter says...

Thanks so much. And thank your brother for me as well, please.

~Harry Potter

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:16 am
View Likes
NightWriter says...

Hey HorsebackWriter,

This was a beautifully written poem.
I studied Latin in school, but no, didn't understand a word. Yet there is always something so magical about different languages and it really touched up your poem well.

The English version, was, as assumed, the easiest to understand and though I felt it didn't quite flow as well as the Latin version, the words were unchangably beautiful.

I love what you wrote it on, I thought that even though writing on love is very typical, the way you wrote it was different.

Well done!
And P.S, I adore your signature!

~Harry Potter

I mean: Harry Potter was pure genius. I'm sad to say that I only read the series this year, for the first time. In saying that, however, the whole thing is genius. Childish rather than Young Adult-ish, magical rather than fantasy, but still seven books of the most cleverly thought out plot since Jane Austen.

Haha. This review isn't even about Harry Potter. Just thought I'd chuck it out there. You know J.K Rowling spent like seven years or something just thinking about what her books would say before she began writing? Wow.

Sorry for the offtopic bit :)

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

66 Reviews

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:07 am
HorsebackWriter says...

thanks NightWriter! I'm mostly freanch but my ancestry is really wacked so I've made it my goal to learn all of the languages my extended family speaks. Since most of them are the basic romance languages (Spanish, Italian, French) I thought getting started on latin would give me a better grasp. It took me several weeks to translate this poem after I first wrote it, but in the end I loved the outcome.

And I know, JK really is the modern Jane Austen, her books are so well written and flow so smoothly and can you believe that she started wrting them on napkins?
The only thing I dislike about the Harry Potter series and JK is that she killed off my fave characters. (Remus, Tonks, and Fred) :(

But she really is a great author, and thank you so much for the review (getting myself back on topic!) :)

~Harry Potter

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
— Albus Dumbledore