z

Young Writers Society

Trumpet Solo!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:26 am
amygabb says...

Spoiler! :
Any suggestions for a new title??? I'm really bad at them... :D Anyway, I've been experimenting with different forms for poetry. This on is called a pantoum (also spelled pantum). This is how it goes:

Stanza 1:
Line 1

Line 2

Line 3

Line 4

Stanza 2:
Line 5 (repeat of line 2 in stanza 1)

Line 6 (new line)

Line 7 (repeat of line 4 in stanza 1)

Line 8 (new line)

Stanza 3/Last Stanza (This is the format for the last stanza regardless of how many preceding stanzas exist):
Line 9 (repeat line 6 of the previous stanza)

Line 10 (repeat line 3 of the first stanza)

Line 11 (repeat line 8 of the previous stanza)

Line 12 (repeat line 1 of the first stanza)

Trumpet Solo!

I’ve been thinking about this for weeks,
Practicing ‘till I’m out of breath.
I claim refuge with the confident,
Imagining things will go wrong.

Practicing ‘till I’m out of breath,
I get so nervous, I quake like a fool.
Imagining things will go wrong,
On my debut - it’d be just my luck.

I get so nervous, I quake like a fool,
So I claim refuge with the confident,
On my debut, it’d be just my luck.
I’ve been thinking about this for weeks.
Last edited by amygabb on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 am
View Likes
live1out2loud7 says...

I really like the form for this poem and how certain lines are repeated. As for the name, I like the name you gave it. Great job!
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now. So does avoiding homework and creeping around YWS!

Want a poem reviewed?
viewtopic.php?f=188&t=96651

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:03 am
View Likes
mithrim96 says...

This is a rather short poem that I feel needs more explanation into its meaning and its feel. You have a very professional vocabulary that makes me feel child-like in comparison as I don't understand some of the words! (Don't worry, I'll look them up...)

I had to notice though, when I read this, you say:
On my debut - it’d be just my luck.

and then:
On my debut, it’d be just my luck.

Which both have different ways of reading this line (this may be your angle...?), and I was wondering whether you wanted them to be different or had planned them to be the same.

Seeing as this was the only thing I could find ever so slightly 'off' with your poem, it is obviously quite correct. This was a very professional but also, almost childlike (in the narrators view) poem. I love the repetition in the lines which adds emphasis to these points and really makes the reader think how the narrator must have really been stewing over their solo a lot! I'm sure most musicians have felt similarly about any performance (I know I have!) so it is a powerful poem for them/us.

Also, I think that the title is perfect for the poem. In two words it sums up the feeling and meaning of the poem. Who wouldn't be 'quaking' about a Trumpet Solo?! Well done! This is a great poem, a little short maybe (I'd like to read more!), but a very awesome and relative poem!

Keep writing for as long as it brings you joy!

"It's important we build up a level of trust. That way I'll catch you completely unprepared when I suddenly accuse you of murder." - Skulduggery Pleasant (read it!), Death Bringer, Derek Landy

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:35 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

A poem about music? Hmmm....Let's see.

I like this! Really. Well the title is already great, why change it? I like slo-mo reads you know. And I think your poem elongated this short moment which is playing this instrument.

I also liked the small piece of humor here. We all try new things, and when we do, it comes to a failure. But after some practice, confidence boosts and reading self-help books, we can be the BEST :)

Keep writing! Good luck!
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:41 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

Woah! that's quite an interesting repetition scheme you've got going on there, I'd love to try it out sometime. I think a nice title could be something like "my forte". (forte is a musical term that means to play lively and loudly)
Anyway, I found the structure to be quite interesting and thought the repetition was very effective, quite a lovely poem you came up with here!~ Keep writing (:
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss