The candle in the window,
burns strong and bright.
Proving that no woe
can stand against its might.

The candle in the window
fills the house with warmth.
Is it from the heat it bestows?
Or the spirit it brings forth?
Last edited by catslikebooks2 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:56 pm
Rarity says...

Well done. I enjoyed the fact that you portrayed the candle's warmth and light in different way. I also liked the question you asked at the end. It tied up the poem very nicely. I have one comment on the seventh and eighth line.

[quoteProving that no woe
can stand under its might][/quote]

It does not make much sense to me when you said," stand under its might". I think that using the word 'above' sounds better.

Rarity
"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
-Shakespeare

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:54 am
paintingtherain97 says...

This is great, from the first to last line. I didn't see any grammatical errors, but there are a few things I think you could do to improve upon this piece. First, try to balance the syllable in each line. When you read some parts, it is a bit awkward, not flowing quite right. In addition to this, separating the poem into stanzas might be a good idea. It's like in a book: people don't want to read 200 pages without a break, so we make chapters. Same concept. I really like the poem, though, and it really does describe the feeling you get from that picture.I also like the rhyme scheme. It's one that I also use in a lot of poems. You have a really great poem here. I think it could win. :)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley