20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:44 pm
tanya98 says...

Spoiler! :
First time writing a touchy poem, go a bit easy on me

He Picked me when I dropped low.
He mopped my tears, made me laugh.
He laid a soft hand on my shoulder as I sat and wondered was I wrong ?
'You weren't wrong, your idea is just different' He said.
To him I was never wrong.
He listened to me, when no one did .
We fought,
Pulled each others hair, Punched each other.
But our care never went.We became normal for Lunch.
We laughed, we danced,we sang and played.
And yet I must have never told, even If I told maybe a quick one.
I love you.
He, My brother .
It's not gravity that's tying you to the earth but that one person - Jacob Black

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 am
BluesClues says...

Hey there!

First I would like to say that I like that this poem is about a brother rather than a lost love. Lost-love poetry of this type is over-rated, but brother poetry is few and far between. I also like how we couldn't tell right away that it was a brother. (I guessed relative at "You weren't wrong, your idea is just different," and when you talked about beating each other up I knew it had to be a brother.)

If I could give you one piece of advice for improvement, I'd say more specific imagery and/or more figurative language. You do have one specific, in the line of dialogue ("You weren't wrong, your idea is just different"), and I like that you include the fighting - both because, as I said, in my case it gave me the clue I needed to get that it was a brother, and because it's not something you expect to find in this kind of poem. (Since this kind of poem is usually a lost-love poem, so punching would be spouse abuse...)

The only other thing is, a couple of the lines were a little awkward/confusing. I knew what you meant by "normal for lunch" - narrator and brother had lunch together every day, presumably at school unless he was a much older brother, yes? But it was just an odd way to word it. Also, "And yet I must have never told, even if I told maybe a quick one." I get it, I mean, from the following line you can see that what's meant is, "Despite these great times we had and how much we cared about each other, I'm not sure I ever told him that I loved him." But again, it's worded weirdly and I had to read it a couple times to take it in.

Otherwise, however, this is good, and I just love that you wrote a brother poem!

~Blue

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus