z

Young Writers Society

You're Beautiful

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:36 pm
Certainly Love says...

Prologue:

Baron Angus stood across the room as he went over the standards and expectations for Magnus’s daughter, Amy Roswell. The matter pertained to his youngest daughter. He spoke mainly of her duties and the like, and Amy’s father, who held the title of a count, nodded and agreed to the matter the baron presented.

Baron Angus wasn’t at all ill-looking, but he didn’t seem like the type of man that Amy dreamed of. Magnus knew that he shouldn’t marry Amy off to someone as strict as Baron Angus, but he had to get Amy married as were her older sisters. He dreaded Amy not being able to acquire a husband at all.

Baron Angus went on about what he expected Amy to be and finally he sighed, “She must be elegant and graceful.” He added in conclusion.

“I see. You’ve such high standards, Angus. Are you certain my daughter can satisfy you in all areas?” He said. Magnus sat in his chair and tried not to look so worn.

“I believe any woman is capable of reaching my standards where marriage is concerned. The prospect of marriage isn’t at all difficult, I’m sure.” Baron Angus frowned at Magnus’s silence.

It was soon broken with, “Then I don’t see why you can’t marry my daughter. I do appreciate you coming all the way from Yorkshire to settle this matter. Shall I send her in?”

Silently, Angus nodded and crossed his arms as Magnus finally opened the door to summon Amy from the hall.

Amy entered the room in her plain gray dress and Magnus knew in an instant that the baron would refuse her for she lacked a sense of fashion. Magnus immediately placed his head down with a shake of disappointment.

“Baron Angus.” Amy greeted with a shy curtsy.

Baron Angus’s eyes narrowed, “Miss Roswell.”

It was silent.

“I see that you daughter, Magnus…lacks something society hold in high regard.”

The look in his eyes was piercing cold and Amy didn’t like it one bit. “And what, pray tell, is it that I lack?” Amy said with a hint of sarcasm.

Magnus didn’t care to intervene. If his daughter was offended by the baron, there was no use trying to stop her from defending herself.

“You lack the height of fashion, my dear. Perhaps if you had more beauty and a likeable selection of gowns, then I’d be willing to grasp you hand in marriage. But seeing that you don’t…I will take my leave.”

Baron Angus took up his hat and just when he was about to leave, Amy threw him a book at the back of his head. “You ungrateful, ill-mannered man!” She yelled, “I never ever want to see you again!”

Baron Angus scowled, “As you wish!”

Just as he stormed out the door, Amy broke down into tears. Her father looked her with great sympathy as he embraced her, “There, there. The man is shallower than I thought. Amy, darling, you are just as beautiful as your sisters.”

“Oh father. I’d hate to go through another episode like that. Please send me away where I can continue on as a spinster.”

“You’re not a spinster.” He cooed, “Maybe you should take a breather.”

Amy nodded and stepped out upon the terrace. It was right but it was illuminated by the pale moon. It was a wondrous sight when the ocean was not too far and the mountains could be seen from where she stood. She began to tear. Her heart was pained with much heart-felt sorrow and she was worried that no gentleman would ever grace her doorstep to ask her hand in marriage.

“If beauty is what I need to become some man’s wife, so be it!” She said to herself. There were many times she spoke to herself. That way, she would let out what pained her so much.

Suddenly, a sound in bushed startled her, “My lady…” Came a whisper, “Amy felt herself begin to panic.

“Who goes there?” She asked, half frightened that a crook might appear.

“My lady, over here…” The voice whispered louder. Amy slowly walked down the steps and at the corner of her eye, a man reached out for her and pushed her up against the wall. She nearly screamed but he quickly covered her mouth. “Don’t…scream.” he said, “I will not hurt you. Now, I need food, some pocket money, and a healthy horse, if that’s possible.”

“Possible? I don’t even know you and you demand me to----”

The man leaned against the wall right beside her upon hearing horses trot by. “Shhh. I must not be found.”

“Found? You’re a prisoner?”

“I guess you could say that---” He paused, “Not really. Please, I need a new set of clothes, it’s an emergency.”

“Why should I?” She asked defiantly.

“Please.” He pleaded. Amy stared at him and felt pity for the man. “Desperate and in need” Was what she saw. “If it makes you feel any better, I’m Thomas Trent. I’m running from my father---”

“But why ever for?”

“’Tis a long story and you need not be a part of it, now please!” he hurried.

“Oh very well.” Amy finally said.

The next few moments, Amy came out with all that he requested. She couldn’t believe that she was doing this. She even gave him all the money she won from the races. Really, she was in over her head.

Amy handed him the items he requested and saw that he already chose a horse. Her father’s horse! “I’m sorry, but this is my father’s horse. You can’t---”

“Yes, I can. Tell him that you gave it to a man in need.” He then put all the items in the saddle bag and mounted the horse. Your father has some fine grays.”

“He buys the best.” Was her reply.

Suddenly he finally looked at her and her heart dropped for he had such a handsome face. He had eyes that glimmered in the moonlight and a strong chin. He continued to over-look her as she did the same.

“I saw you crying.” He began, “May I ask what has you in ruins?”

Thomas saw the tears welling up in her eyes and in that moment he wanted to embrace her though he did not know her. I was told I hadn’t a sense of fashion and that I lacked beauty.”

“What the devil!”

“It’s true. Twas Baron Angus that pointed it out.”

“Baron Angus is a pompous idiot in need of a good beating.”

“----But he’s right!”

Just then, Thomas let out a loud grunt of irritation. He leaned toward her, pulling her close, and he kissed her with all his might.

“You’re already beautiful.”

“Oh my!” She said breathlessly.

“Thank you…I will return your father’s horse---Until then…”

Thomas Trent silently trailed off into the darkness of the night as Amy stood in awe. She didn’t know what to do or say…She was utterly speechless
Last edited by Certainly Love on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sincerely, Amanda R. Holden, Author of Azyea's GIfts

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:33 pm
Foreseer says...

That was good, I liked it very much. It had descriptions and it was simple (in a good way). Missing a few quotation marks here and there, but that can be fixed. Poor Amy, though, and that Baron Angus, he does need a good beating. :wink: Anyway, nice work. Can't wait to see what happens next.
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:37 pm
Night Mistress says...

I like it. I do hope that you will continue it.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom