z

Young Writers Society

Rushed

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed May 09, 2007 6:44 pm
cheripop says...

***A million thank-yous for telling me about the dialog. I redid it, fixed the really bad spots, and the revised version is posted. As for the clichés, I’m keeping them because the main character is a very unoriginal girl with unrealistic expectations, and I wanted the narration to reflect that a little. So that’s what’s going on. Here’s the next part:

III

Andy turned out to be Aleesha’s first high school boyfriend. After him she went out with Dwayne, and then Jeremy. Following a nasty email break up with Jeremy came Robbie, and after him there was a Ryan. Usually Aleesha thought a lot about her boyfriends, but she still made room to think about Lacie, who was angry with her—most of the time.

Like, there was one weekend when they planned to see a movie together, but John, her boyfriend at that moment, wanted to go mini-golfing. Aleesha called up Lacie and invited her to come along with them, but all she got was the sound of the phone hitting the receiver. Then on Monday, Lacie comes to school all mad and stuff, yelling at Aleesha for blowing her off. It wasn’t as if she didn’t invite Lacie to come with her and her momentary flame. She wasn’t forgotten. However, in two years of high school, Lacie hasn’t had one boyfriend.

Aleesha couldn’t wrap her mind around why. Lacie had plenty of guy friends and was very outgoing. Her personality should make up for what she lacked. And if she had a boyfriend, they could double date and have more fun together. They could be close friends again, like they used to be.

Besides, if Lacie needed advice for finding a date, Aleesha was the person to go to. She had subscriptions to all the fashion magazines, and she knew the top ten qualities guys like in a girl, the top ten shoes guys like to see girls wear, the top five things guys like to hear girls say, and the three habits girls must avoid so they would be liked by more guys—by heart. Add to that, every week when she went grocery shopping for her mom, she would read all the latest tips in Cosmo. It all seemed so simple.

Aleesha decided that a good time to find Lacie was during lunch, although where Lacie ate at was sporadic. Once and awhile she would eat outside with the National Honor’s Society and help plan the next carwash, but then she was in the drama room with members of the Thespian Club just as often. Lacie wasn’t into drama, but she always painted the stage backgrounds for the school’s annual play. Somewhere between those she had lunch with the school newspaper staff to discuss new stories to cover, leaving not much time for Aleesha and Tommy—the latest boyfriend. So Aleesha managed to snag Lacie before she could find a seat. They met in the lunch line.

The line snaked all the way back to the cafeteria doors. Aleesha was fortunate enough to be at the front, so she picked up her lunch in no time. On the way back to her seat, she spotted out Lacie. She was the second to last in line, and for some reason, Aleesha knew she would be back there. While she waited, her slender hand tightly clutched the strap of her pink “Breast Cancer Awareness” bag as she made a few bubbles out of the gum she was chewing. Lacie always chewed gum when she was stressed. Lunch would be over by the time she even got sight of a lunch lady.

Aleesha went up to her like they’ve been talking for the last four months and said, “Lacie, I have to ask you something.”

Lacie stared at her like she was some weird girl she’d never seen before. “What?”

“I was wondering if…you ever wish you had someone else in your life.”

“Someone else?” Lacie’s dark eyes narrowed in confusion. “Like what?”

“You know, someone else. Like I have Tommy…”

“Oh. A boyfriend.”

Aleesha was relieved that she didn’t have to say it herself.

“Doesn’t everyone?”

“That’s what I know,” said Aleesha, attempting to put on the charm, but only being able to show a mediocre smile. “So what do think if I help you out? You know, to find that someone?”

“What? You think I can’t find a guy myself or something?”

“No, that’s not what I meant!”

“Then say what you want. Stop playing around.”

Aleesha took in a nervous breath, wondering why she was so scared.

“Okay, alright. I only thought that like, you and me could be better friends, if we did more things together. And I think you feel left out because you don’t have a boyfriend, and maybe things would be better if--you did.”

“I’ve told you before; I don’t need your help. Have you ever thought that unlike you, there are some girls who don’t even want a boyfriend? Get this—I don’t want a boyfriend right now. Don’t need one.”

No. She didn’t understand. “Can’t you see what this is doing to you? You seem so—miserable. And it’ll get worse if you don’t let me help you.”

“Aleesha, I…”

“Do you remember when Mark and I broke up, and how I was all depressed?”

“I wish I could forget,” said Lacie, tapping her foot impatiently.

“I felt worthless, but then Tommy came, and no one has ever made me feel so confident. Having a relationship can do the same for you.”

Lacie shook her head, not going for any of it. “If this is about you and me being friends, it should be between you and me. Not you and me and some guy you want me with. If you really want to help me--stop trying.”

Maybe talking in the lunch line wasn’t such a great idea. Everyone sitting at the tables nearby was hurting their ears from trying to listen in. Aleesha decided to swallow what she was going to say next. Instead, she backed off.

Later that day, Aleesha broke up with Tommy. Lacie had nothing to do with it. After fourth period she caught him making out with another girl in the biography section of the school library. Aleesha felt as if that girl had stomped all over her with the seductive black high heels she wore.

After school, Aleesha was at home in her room putting whiteout over his name, which she had written all over her binders. She’s done this many times before, but every time it hurt just as bad. All she wanted was some emotional security. Before she thought Tommy was it; the boy she could depend on. Now she couldn’t shake the ugly picture of his lips smushed against those of another girl, tinted plum purple from the lip gloss.

The whiteout wasn’t working too great. She had written his name on a spot where she had put whiteout before, and it was beginning to flake. Frustrated, she put away the whiteout, gathered up all her binders, and threw them in the kitchen trashcan. New binders aren’t that expensive anyways. Right then, the parade of boyfriends ended.

***Aleesha may have caught her boyfriend cheating, but the love of her life is still on the horizon. Who is it? Find out when I post part 4. ***
cheripoprocks at www.freewebs.com/popwriter
And check out Omnigirl, my new e-book series. Download it free at www.lulu.com/content/807907

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li