z

Young Writers Society

fist story posted

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon May 21, 2007 12:30 am
nattynessa says...

Ella sat alone in her empty bedroom staring out the wall length window. She was crying hysterically as she watched the snowflakes fall before her. 'I miss him so much' she thought to herself and then repeated it aloud several times-- each time her words grew louder and louder until found herself screaming then she realized her bedroom no longer had furniture in it-- realizing the only thing in her bedroom with her was her purse and her car keys for she had taken the two hour ride to get to the place she had still called home and had to sneak into her old pretty house through the back and broken screen door. She fell back onto the floor with her long blonde hair spread evenly behind her. Her big blue eyes were pouring tears of sadness. Ella was freezing for the heat had been shut off and she grabbed her coat even tighter to preserve her body heat. She finished her fit and left the room with her keys and purse. Now at the age of seventeen Priscilla (who hadn’t gone by that name for nearly fifteen years) VanTassel found herself still driven back to her old house looking for ways to remember Brad's touch. She was ready to leave until she passed the doorway to the parlor. She took a few steps backward and lingered in the doorway staring inside at the full length uncovered windows, pictureless walls, and uncovered wooden floors. The room had been lit naturally by the brightness of the snow. It had still, even without the beautiful furniture and the gorgeous red curtains, looked lovely and old memories of Brad and happiness overwhelmed her causing a pitiful smile to creep upon her face. It had been awhile since her last smile.
She closed her eyes and imagined... Her parents had been gone that night which left the house to only her and Brad. She was upset over something little and had stormed away from him and made a scene for some of his attention, which she had loved so much. He chased her all through her big house-- he had known the house as well as she did for he had been so often-- her game had become fun and eventually her mood brightened and she found herself laughing at his acted inability to catch her-- she ran quickly into the parlor where he had trapped her and grabbed her in his arms-- "I love you, Ella!" he said as he squeezed her tightly, "You'll never be able to run from me! I'll always catch you and you'll always love it." Ella assured him that she loved him back and that nothing could ever change that and before she had finished her sentence Brad had put his hands around her waist and pressed his forehead against hers. Naturally her arms floated upward and adjusted themselves around his shoulders and their bodies moved to their own rhythm. He sang to her-- she hadn't remembered the words which made her cry there, alone in the doorway, but she had remembered his voice perfectly and the butterflies she had once gotten from him returned.
Poor Ella had then suddenly snapped into reality and realized she would never have her Brad again as she looked at the empty room and continued through the empty house.
Ella got into her car and, like always she had assured herself that she would never return and convince herself that Brad will always just be apart of the past. She slowly exited her old long stone driveway and saw the iron gates for (what she swore to be) the last time and started again, to cry.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon May 28, 2007 5:39 pm
trackgal6 says...

grew louder and louder until found herself screaming then she realized her bedroom no longer had furniture in i

Either make this to sentences, or add a comma.
The room had been lit naturally by the brightness of the snow

I know snow is pretty bright, but I wouldn't say that it illuminated a room.
Apart should be a part.

How sad! Maybe add a little more detail about why Brad wasn't there. Maybe also say why she was leaving her house. Did she not want to remember Brad? Also tell us more about Ella. We don't know anything about her other than she liked Brad. It is hard to feel sorry for her if we don't know her. Overall, a little short but a very interesting story.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon May 28, 2007 5:39 pm
trackgal6 says...

grew louder and louder until found herself screaming then she realized her bedroom no longer had furniture in i

Either make this to sentences, or add a comma.
The room had been lit naturally by the brightness of the snow

I know snow is pretty bright, but I wouldn't say that it illuminated a room.
Apart should be a part.

How sad! Maybe add a little more detail about why Brad wasn't there. Maybe also say why she was leaving her house. Did she not want to remember Brad? Also tell us more about Ella. We don't know anything about her other than she liked Brad. It is hard to feel sorry for her if we don't know her. Overall, a little short but a very interesting story.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 pm
nattynessa says...

thanks for the feedback.
and yeah, it's only a sort of beginning... i'm stuck and am not sure where i'm going yet.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed May 30, 2007 5:23 am
JC says...

Well, it could be improved.

Paragraph structure:
It seems a lot of these are shorter than they should be. Especially the ones with thoughts or dialouge (short as it may be). For dramatic effect, make those paragraphs of their own.

Now, on the topic of paragraphs, seeing as you're a new member, please read the Before you post, rules, and FAQ's, which are all surprisingly not sleep inducing, and really helpful.

I'll give you a shortcut here, double space between paragraphs. It's easier on the eyes, and you'll find that more people will read your postings!

Good job, I hope to see you around the site!
-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:31 pm
JFW1415 says...

nattynessa wrote:She was crying hysterically as she watched the snowflakes fall before her.

This line kind of bugs me. She was crying hysterically, but we just met her. We don't feel bad for her yet. If you began this scene a few moments earlier, you could have introduced her more fully, and you could gradually work up to her 'crying hysterically.' Also, the fact that she was watching snowflakes fall doesn't really seem to fit into this sentence. It seems like too peaceful a thing to do when she was so upset.

nattynessa wrote:She fell back onto the floor with her long blonde hair spread evenly behind her. Her big blue eyes were pouring tears of sadness.

Since this is just a short story, you shouldn't add details about her appearance. It ruins the flow of the story. In a novel you can gradually sneak in details, but here it just feels like I'm being lectured.

nattynessa wrote:Ella was freezing for the heat had been shut off and she grabbed her coat even tighter to preserve her body heat.

If it's snowing out, the heat has been turned off, and she has to have her coat on to preserve her body head, we can pretty much assume that she is cold. No need to tell us that she was freezing.

nattynessa wrote:Now at the age of seventeen Priscilla (who hadn’t gone by that name for nearly fifteen years) VanTassel found herself still driven back to her old house looking for ways to remember Brad's touch.

I like that you make me ask questions here. Who's Brad? Why does the house remind her of him? It makes me want to read on to find out more. Also, if she doesn't go by Priscilla anymore, what does she go by?

nattynessa wrote:She was ready to leave until she passed the doorway to the parlor. She took a few steps backward and lingered in the doorway staring inside at the full length uncovered windows, pictureless walls, and uncovered wooden floors.

Again, I feel as if I'm being lectured. Describe the room, but more spread out, and maybe add a metaphor or simile to add to the image. And saying 'She was ready to leave until...' sounds strange to me. Maybe you could put 'She had been ready to leave until she passed...'

nattynessa wrote:The room had been lit naturally by the brightness of the snow.

Snow's bright, but not that bright. Maybe say the setting sun reflecting off of the snow? Then it shows what time of day it is, that the snow if very bright, but also stays believable, because the sun is also lighting the room, however slightly.

nattynessa wrote:It had still, even without the beautiful furniture and the gorgeous red curtains, looked lovely and old memories of Brad and happiness overwhelmed her causing a pitiful smile to creep upon her face.

This makes me feel like she's looking back, not you describing where she is now. It is in past tense, but if you take away 'had,' it would seem more like the reader is there. If that made any sense at all, congrats! :P

nattynessa wrote:It had been awhile since her last smile.

Oh? Why? Now I'm starting to feel bad for her. *Sniffle* It's good that you don't say why right away, though, because it makes the reader want to read more.

nattynessa wrote:She closed her eyes and imagined

Sorry, I can't stand this line. Try to think up a way to spice up the transition into her flashback.

nattynessa wrote:Ella assured him that she loved him back and that nothing could ever change that and before she had finished her sentence Brad had put his hands around her waist and pressed his forehead against hers. Naturally her arms floated upward and adjusted themselves around his shoulders and their bodies moved to their own rhythm.

The first sentence is a run on sentence. The second one, where you say 'Naturally,' sounds wrong to me. Maybe say something like 'Her arms floated upward and adjusted themselves around his shoulders naturally, while their bodies moved to their own rhythm.' And saying 'while' instead of 'and' makes it not so repetitive.

nattynessa wrote:Poor Ella

Make us feel bad for her, don't just tell us that we should. Describe her a little more, and how Brad left, and we will put in the 'poor' ourselves. You don't need to say it.

nattynessa wrote:Ella got into her car and, like always she had assured herself that she would never return and convince herself that Brad will always just be apart of the past.

Sorry, just don't like how this was written. It seems like there are a few grammar mistakes and extra words. Maybe you could write something more like this...'Ella got into her care and, like always, assured herself that she would never return and that Brad would always just be part of her past.'

nattynessa wrote:She slowly exited her old long stone driveway and saw the iron gates for (what she swore to be) the last time and started again, to cry.

The house isn't still hers, right? So shouldn't she feel bad about breaking and entering? And the last line sounds a little strange. Maybe '...and started to cry once more/again.' Good ending sentence! But it would be a depressing end to a story.

Can this just be a chapter? :P I hope you write more. This is really well written, despite all the tiny mistakes I mentioned. PM me if you do write more, please. I would love to read it.

(Oh, I wrote this before, then lost it, so this is a rushed second-version of it. :P Oh, well, it will help with my typing skills. Be happy-I spent about one hour reviewing this! :P Don't feel you have to listen to me at all, though. I'm still just a little wanna-be writer, lol)

Random avatar

Reviews: 125
Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:08 am
SASSYLADY333 says...

I liked it, had raw emotion that a lot of readers can appreciate. Maybe be careful of run on sentences, and have more paragraphs at the beginning. Besides those I think its a great story and has a lot of potiential. :D

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria