z

Young Writers Society

Delusion

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:33 am
View Likes
fothi says...

“Caleb, I just want you to know that...,” Sherri’s voice trailed off, as Caleb just sat there, staring at his feet. Her long brown hair brushed lightly against his shoulder as they sat together on the edge of the apartment building, like they had every single night. She was so close to him that she felt his heart beat, and it seemed to pulse through her veins with its steady rhythm, and admirable confidence. Caleb’s face was as hard as rock, but Sherri knew that behind that, there was true feeling. There had to be -- she’d seen it once before.

“You wanted me to know?” Caleb asked, looking up into her beautiful, round face, her almond brown, deep eyes, full of soul, full of meaning. he wasn’t sure if he knew who she was anymore. He didn’t know whether she knew who he was. He wasn’t even sure whether they should be sitting on this ledge, even though they’d done it so many times, and nothing bad had happened before. This time was different. This time, feelings were involved.

“I just wanted you to know that whatever happens, I’ll always love you,” Sherri gulped. He head tilted to the sky, trying to hold the tears back, and her eyes lifted to the stars, looking into the blank atmosphere, searching for answers that she wasn’t sure existed. “And I want you to know that there’s nothing wrong with love. There’s nothing wrong with the feelings-”

“That’s where you go wrong. And that’s where... that’s where...,” Caleb sighed. He didn’t even know what to say any more. His mind was lost; his senses deceased. His soul -- it must belong to someone else now, because he felt that his life had shaken his whole being apart. The events that had brought him and Sherri together seemed useless-worthless-now. Now, he wondered if the knowledge that they now shared would bring them closer together, or just back apart again.

They both knew that there were no words. They were both confused, but also both so in deep in their infatuation with one another. Sherri turned her head toward Caleb, away from the moon, away from the stars, away from everything that was real. She turned to what now felt so far gone, and so imaginary. She turned toward passion, and Caleb turned toward it too. They looked into each other’s eyes, and sweet melodies seemed to ring in their ears. Sweet lullabies tuned out the fear, and the anxiety that formed tensions between the two. They both leaned in to each other, and wrapped their arms around each other, pressing their lips together, and forming one pair of lovers, unshattered by fear and confusion.
A door slammed shut five minutes later, and footsteps tapped the pavement, as a tall, older man walked with authority across the apartment rooftop. His face was red for the first time in his life, and his cheeks were soaked in his own tears. He looked down at the two, who had just stopped kissing long enough to look up at him.

The man took a deep breath, sucking his teeth, and looking at them in the eyes, one at a time. Another tear rolled down his cheek.

“Father... father, I-” Sherri began. The man knelt down and pressed his finger delicately against her lips, shaking his head slowly, and closing his eyes, secretly wishing that he was not in the predicament that he felt was his fault for getting into. Caleb’s brows furrowed, and his stomach wrenched. He knew the truth, but to have Sherri in his arms again meant the world, and even if that was the last time that they were to be together like that, he would never regret it. Still, he felt wrong for it, and he just needed closure. He just needed the real truth, and the real facts. He was tired of not knowing. He was tired of guessing, and wondering, and trying to figure out whether he was right or wrong. He was tired of wondering whether he was fooling himself.

The man swallowed down his tears before he spoke. “Here, in my hands, lies the paternity tests, Sherri. And, I’m sorry--I.... I wish that your mother and I had gone about this differently, but... Caleb is my son.”
~Faith T

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:02 am
View Likes
Joeducktape says...

Oho! Do I detect an incestual twist?

This was okay. Kind of short. I'll be looking forward to more.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:25 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Creepy...though, I sort of guessed it. Make it happy!!!!! lol It's my inner romantic coming out-poor couple...

Nice job! Perhaps you could expand, yes?
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:21 am
Leja says...

They looked into each other’s eyes, and sweet melodies seemed to ring in their ears. Sweet lullabies tuned out the fear, and the anxiety that formed tensions between the two.

Just to point out, you used sweet twice within two sentences. You might want to think about rewording for variation.

The man swallowed down his tears before he spoke. “Here, in my hands, lies the paternity tests, Sherri. And, I’m sorry--I.... I wish that your mother and I had gone about this differently, but... Caleb is my son.”

This last part is a little strange in a few ways. First, the father says "here in my hands lies the paternity tests". I don't find this very realistic, as I do not know of anyone who speaks in such an elevated style. Also, it's a little foggy as to whose parents are whose on the first read-through.

I also find it strange that the father is so open with not only his daughter, but with his now-known-to-be-son as well. I'd think he and the mother would make more of an attempt to hide things. But that's just my thought.

They both knew that there were no words. They were both confused, but also both so in deep in their infatuation with one another.

At times, I found Caleb and Sherri's relationship to be sickeningly sweet, which is strange because I usually consider myself a hopeless romantic. Unless it's meant to be an exaggeration?

I don't think that this is quite strong enough to stand alone. I vote to try exaggeration, see if that can make it any more bittersweet. Because where does the story lie here? In the fact that Caleb and Sherri are related and that they do/don't/can't/don't want to deal with it? In how their parents deal with it?

*hopes for more*

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:08 am
dele24 says...

Ok, that was, well...interesting.

It was nicely written, but, I didn't like it. I don't mean to offend you or anything, but it is just too wierd for me. I'm assuming that what they were so confused about was whether they were brother and sister (or half), then why would they be sitting on the roof kissing each other? If there was any possibility that the guy I was dating was my brother I would be staying away from him until I knew for sure, so as to not complicate things any further - its ok to get involved with your half brother when you have no idea of his true identity, but when you know he might be your brother and you still go ahead and kiss him anyway; that is just wrong.

What I would like more is a flash back to last time they were on the roof and were kissing, but this time they restrain themselves and we don't know why until their father appears. But thats just me.

Again, its not that I don't think the writing its good (there are some sentences in there that I just love, they are awesome) I just don't like the fact they are up on the roof kissing when they know they might be bro and sis.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:25 pm
View Likes
fothi says...

Hm.. thanks so much, guys, you're wonderful. :)

I was wondering whether the end worked or not. I kept flipflopping but now I think I know what I want to do with it.
~Faith T

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:00 pm
Night Mistress says...

Interesting! i think you should continue it. I wonder what will Sherri do now.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract