z

Young Writers Society

The Weird Happy Ending (heavily edited)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:29 am
Alice says...

HEAVILY EDITED

Spin! her inner-voice told her, spin faster than you ever have before!

She did, she spun and spun and spun as fast as she could. She was spinning so fast she thought she would just take off into the sky. But that is a common thought for a five-year-old. When she started to stumble she didn’t stop, she couldn’t stop. She was going too fast.

“Mommy!” she called joyfully, “mommy look at me!”

Her mom smiled and waved, “slow down, honey! You’re going to fall!”

“I can’t stop!”

Her mom laughed and walked over to her, with a quick sweep she lifted the child off of her feet and into her arms, “better?”

The child giggled, “Yes.”

Her mother set her down, “Go play with the other kids,” she smacked her butt gently as she walked away. “Have fun sweeties!”

“Okay mommy!” The child skipped away.

“Cute kid Madeleine.”

“Thanks Ralph, she’s perfect,” the twenty year old single mother looked at her daughter happily.

“Um… Madeline, I was, I mean to say, would you… oh never mind.”

“Ralph, just spit it out.”

“Would you like to go out on a date with me sometime?”

Madeline’s face turned slightly red, she shouldn’t say yes, she shouldn’t set herself up for heartbreak again, but she couldn’t say no, she didn’t want to. “That sounds great, when would be a good time?”

“Friday?”

“Sounds great.” Oh no, she said that twice? could she have a bigger stupid moment?

Ralph’s son, Christopher, was stuck on the monkey bars crying out. “Oh no, I’ll be right back.” Ralph ran over and lifted his son onto his shoulders.

“Mommy!”

Madeline looked over and saw her daughter, Elizabeth, stuck in the sandbox; two boys were kicking sand in her face. Madeline marched over and grabbed the two boys’ ears. Nobody messed with her daughter.

“What do you think you’re doing to my daughter?”

She got only whimpers and whines.

“Who are your parents?”

The little red-headed boy pointed at a sour looking woman sitting on a bench. Madeline took the two boys by the ears over to them, leaving Elizabeth alone in the sandbox to play.

“Excuse me,” she said politely, “are these your boys?”

“Yes,” the woman said, “what have they done now?”

“They were kicking sand in my daughter’s face.”

The mother glared at the children and took their arms, Madeline let go, “what did you think you were doing?” her voice became very stern.

“We-we-we were just…playing mommy.”

“Yeah well you should know the difference between playing and bullying by now Anthony!”

Elizabeth tugged on Madeline’s sleeve, “mommy I’m hungry.”

Madeline picked her daughter up, “alright honey, wanna go to McDonalds?” Elizabeth smiled and nodded. “Alright, go get your jacket, I’m going to say good-bye to Ralph.”

“Okay mommy.” The little girl ran off again.

“You’re daughter sure is something,” Ralph commented.

“How so?”

“She’s your daughter for one. Two, she is the most well-behaved little girls I have ever seen.”

“Ralph you sure are a sweet talker,” Madeline said and kissed his cheek just as Elizabeth came up. Oh my God! she thought, what am I doing? She ignored the question in her head and turned to Elizabeth, “Ready honey?” Elizabeth nodded. “Alright say bye to Ralph.”

“Bye Ralph!” she said in her cute five-year-old voice.

Madeline buckled Elizabeth into the car seat and went to hers. She looked back and smiled at Ralph before shutting the door and driving off, eager for Friday.

Friday

Madeline held up an outfit and threw it down, ugly. Seven outfits later she heard a knock on her door and shouted helplessly, “come in!”

The door opened and- twenty-year-old mother of three-Donna came in. “Hi Madeline, how’s the outfit hunt going?”

“I’m going naked!” she threw her hands up furiously and threw herself down on the bed, she felt like such a teenager.

Donna laughed and pulled her back up, “not on the first date, hun. Besides, I brought some of my own.” She stood up and pulled off the first top. She stood Madeline in front of the mirror and held it up to her. “Ehh, green’s not your color, clashes with your eyes.”

“Green and brown go good together,” Madeline protested.

“Maybe in your world, but in the dating world, that’s a huge no.” Donna put the green top on the bed and pulled off a pink one. “Perfect, try this one on.”

Not being shy Madeline pulled off her blue knit sweater and buttoned the pink blouse up, “wow that looks…”

“You look great, now where is that skirt,” she continued to dig through her pile until she found a black-denim mini-skirt. “Ha, put this on and your outfit is done, Then on to your hair.” Madeline pulled the mini-skirt on over her sweat pants and let those fall to the floor. Donna French-braided her hair twice, letting the short hairs fall down.

There was a knock on the front door, Madeline jumped up and walked as fast as she could to the living room. Her heart was racing faster than she thought possible. She smiled at Ralph, and when he handed her some lilies she nearly melted.

“Ready to go?”

“Absolutely,” she took a deep breath and went outside.

“What did you do with Elizabeth tonight?”

“Donna’s staying until I get back.”

“Ah, Chris is at his moms.”

“Is that such a good idea?”

“She just got out of rehab, and is staying with her mom. If Georgia’s still unstable her mom will take Chris to the McDonalds.”

“The child’s paradise.”

They reached the end of the oddly long drive and climbed into Ralph’s truck. The giant thing made Madeline feel abnormally tall, something she enjoyed. Ralph hadn’t told her where they were going yet, and as they passed out of town she started to feel a little nervous about it. Although she trusted Ralph, she still couldn’t stop the feeling she got in her gut.

“Ralph, please tell me where we’re going.”

“It’s a secret,” he put his hand on her knee, “don’t worry, you’ll love it.”

“Ralph,” she pleaded, “come on tell me.”

“Fine,” he said. Then he sat there, staring at the road for the longest time.

“Ralph?”

“Oh right! It’s kind of like a dance, but is more about listening to one band, really loud.”

“What band?”

“Lifehouse.”

“Wait… there’s a Lifehouse concert in Jackson, is that what you’re talking about?”

He pulled out the concert tickets, and she squealed, “Oh my God, Ralph, if you weren’t driving I’d so kiss you right now.”

“I could always pull over?” He lifted an eyebrow, and grinned.

She returned the smile and said, “if you want, but I doubt we’d get there on time.”

“Good point.”

The concert rocked, Madeline couldn’t stop smiling. When they started playing “You and me,” she couldn’t stop herself, she looped her arm in his. But that’s as far as it went. She jumped and sang along, all the while keeping her arm looped with his. When the concert ended and everyone started to file out Ralph put his arm around her waist.

“Oh, my God, my feet have never been in so much pain!” she said.

Ralph laughed, “I take it that’s a good thing?”

She smiled, “that’s a very good thing.” They reached his truck, Ralph opened the door for her and helped her climb in. The height wasn’t as cool anymore. When he scrambled into his seat he turned the CD player on. “All American-Rejects,” she commented admiringly. Her second favorite band, Oh Ralph, you’re…perfect. They played the music as loud as it would go (without damaging their ears) all the way back. Madeline felt like a teenager again.

When Ralph pulled onto her block they saw flashing lights, and heard sirens. A look of panic crossed their faces and he went faster. The police cars were parked outside of her house.

“Oh, my God!” she shouted and jumped out before the truck had completely stopped. Her hands and knees collided with the pavement but that didn’t stop her. She ran up to the first officer she saw and said, “I’m Madeline Crawford, what’s going on in my house?”

The police officer explained that the neighbors had called after hearing gun shots, and that they had arrived finding Donna dead.

“Where’s my daughter?”

“We don’t know.”

Madeline’s world collapsed, her knees buckled, and everything went black. When she woke, not five minutes later, She was sitting on the back of the ambulance that was a few feet away. Ralph came over and put a blanket around her before handing her a cup of coffee. Madeline began to sob, and Ralph did his best to comfort her.

A detective came up to her, “Miss Crawford?”

She looked up at him and wiped the tears from her eyes, “yeah?”

“Mind if I ask you a few questions?”

“Anything to help get my baby back.”

“Alright, first: where were you tonight?”

“At a Lifehouse concert with Ralph Parker.”

“Who was watching your daughter?”

“Donna Simons, she was going to stay with her until I came home.”

“Is there anyone who doesn’t like you? Anybody who would want to hurt you for some reason?”

Madeline shrugged, “I don’t know.”

Agonizingly long weeks passed, and the worst part was they didn’t find Elizabeth. No sign of her anywhere, Madeline spent more time pacing around the living room and crying.

Every day was worse than the one before, her cell phone never rang, and she heard nothing. Ralph helped her a lot, he took her out to dinner, to movies, anything to keep her mind away from her cell phone, but at the end of the day, when he failed and she finally broke and cried, he held her, letting her sob.

One day they were sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee and her phone rang. She scrambled to pick it up. “Hello?” She brushed her hair away from her face.

“Hello Miss Crawford? This is detective Mason.”

“Yes, hi, detective Mason.”

“Miss Crawford, we’ve found your daughter.”

“Oh my god, really?”

“Yes, but...”

“Where can I pick her up?”

“Miss Crawford, she’s dead.”

Madeline’s world fragmented, her daughter, her beautiful baby girl, was dead. Madeline couldn’t think, she couldn’t focus, it was like her mind broke inside her. Ralph took the phone from her and hung it up.

How could this have happened? How could she have let her daughter be killed? Why had it happened? Thoughts swam around in her head as she balled, if she hadn’t gone out with Ralph she could’ve protected her. But she couldn’t bring herself to blame Ralph, it was her own fault, nobodies but her own. And she would never forgive herself.

The drive to the police station was short and silent. They were led down to the morgue.

The coroner pulled back the sheet and Madeline screamed. Elizabeth smiled up at them from the slab, her eyes closed, her face scarred. Ralph held her up as she sobbed, letting her bury her head in his shoulder.

“How did she die?” Ralph asked for Madeline.

“Multiple fractions to the abdomen and the ribs, she was crushed to death.”

Madeline sobbed harder, and Ralph put an arm around her, “she was run over?”

The coroner shook his head, “no, someone much larger than her was on her.” Although he hadn’t said it, Ralph and Madeline both knew what had happened.

“Have they found who did it?” The coroner nodded.

Another month went by. Elizabeth had been buried, the trial had happened and the pedophile had been sentenced to life in prison.

Madeline visited Elizabeth every day, never bringing Ralph. She didn’t blame him, she couldn’t blame him. He had been so helpful throughout the whole ordeal, and he never grew tired of her. She still couldn’t bring herself to go back to her house, Elizabeth’s memory was etched all over it. The first time she tried she saw Elizabeth skipping from the couch to the kitchen to sneak a cookie.

She couldn’t do that again. Elizabeth was her life, everything revolved around what had been right for her, the best way to protect her. Madeline would have done anything for her, she would have killed, and she would have died, anything to ensure her daughters safety. And the one night she did something for herself, with no bitter thoughts in her head, was the night Elizabeth needed her more than ever.

She couldn’t cry any more, all the tears she had were shed.

Four years passed.

Madeline was sitting at a dinner with Ralph. He looked extremely nervous. “Ralph? Are you okay?”

He swallowed, “yeah, why?”

“You just look really nervous.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box, “Madeline,” he swallowed again. Madeline was having a hard time not laughing. “Will you marry me?”

“What?”

“I wanted to ask you for… a year now but, I couldn’t get up the courage to ask you.” He opened the box and she gasped silently.

“You mean you’ve been carrying this around with you for a year?” He nodded. “I love you,” she sighed taking his hand.

“Is that a yes?”

She smiled, “that’s a yes.”

End
Last edited by Alice on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just lost the game.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:50 am
Joeducktape says...

Hmm...

Okay, Alice! Good things: I was very surprised by the kidnapping. I had a total "OMGAH!" moment.

A couple things:

There were some grammar bits, but I think if you ran it through word and did some proofing, you'd find them.

One things you might not:

They reached the end of the abnormally long drive and climbed into Ralph’s truck. The giant thing made Madeline feel abnormally tall, something she enjoyed.

You used "abnormally" back-to-back. You might replace one of them.

I don't have much to comment on as far as dislikes, but I will say one thing, and it may just be a nitpicky thing, so if you like it, ignore me.

I felt like it could have done with a little length. The descriptions of things were a little bit rushed. I especially wanted to see more of the reaction at the morgue. Try to make the pace a little more even.

That's all I've got to say!
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:52 am
Flemzo says...

I'll be honest, the story didn't really appeal to me. Granted, it was good, I just didn't like it.

Some things that stuck out:

“She’s your daughter for one,” he was a good sweet-talker. “Two, she is the most well-behaved little girls I have ever seen.”

“Ralph you sure are a sweet talker,” Madeline said and kissed his cheek just as Elizabeth came up.

I think the bolded can be omitted. You mention him being a sweet-talker later, so there's no use in being redundant.

"Miss Crawford,” she noted the sorrow in his voice, “we’ve found your daughter.”

“Oh my god, really?”

“Yes.”

“At the morgue, we need you to identify the body.”

If Madeline "noted the sorrow in his voice", shouldn't she be reacting as such? I don't know how you'd want to go about doing that.

Also, I don't think the detective would be that straightforward. The guy isn't a hardened jerk. Let him show some sympathy. Maybe this would work better:

"Where can I pick her up?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Crawford, but your daughter is dead."

Or something like that. Play with it, and see what works for you.

She hadn’t counted on the teenager trying to rob the house, and had to kill? him too.

You had a missing word there.

Overall, I think you use too many slang words like "wanna". Maybe it's just me. You may want to review some grammar and punctuation rules, as well. You don't have commas where some should be, as well as some other instances. I won't go through and point them all out, but if you review the rules, they should be pretty obvious.

Finally, I hated the ending. I think that Ralph has poor timing in asking Madeline to marry him, and I wouldn't be surprised if Madeline just went off on him. She's a distraught woman, and I doubt she would say yes to a marriage proposal at that time.

That's all I have. It was a good work, but I just didn't care for it.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:40 am
Sid says...

Well, I like the idea of the story. Like Joe said, you have a total OMGAH moments. It's like BOOM spur of the moment, totally out of the blue kidnapping, then a phone call very similar saying that she's dead.

By the time all of this disaster had happened though, I really didn't care for the characters. They seemed a little fake to me. I believe it was because I couldn't get inside their head, the story was mostly dialog and description of the settings. There wasn't much to really tell you about the characters and who they are. No thoughts to read.

Also, when Elizabeth dies you mention how she goes to dinner and movies. If I was a mom and my kid was just murdered, that would be the last thing I would want to do. Self loathing and depression would be the more likely course of action. Depressing, but the truth.

Here are some questions I have about the story.

Madeline’s face turned slightly red, she shouldn't say yes, but she couldn't say no, she didn't want to.

Why shouldn't she like Ralph? Was there a history between the two or was he just not her type? You should probably go into this to give the reader some idea on what Maddie's feelings are towards him. It would let us establish some idea on their relationship.

Why couldn't Ralph go to the mourge and identify the body for her? He knew what Elizabeth looked like.

“Fathers’ intuition?”
“Don’t you mean “mothers intuition”?"
“Yeah, same thing except for dads.”

Does this mean that he's the father?

Well, it definitely wasn't my favorite piece of yours, but it was still creative and new. A little bit of a twist from regular romance works, that's for sure!

-Sid
Was there only one world after all, which spent its time dreaming of others? -- Philip Pullman, The Subtle Knife

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:08 pm
Wiggy says...

All right, frankly this story didn't do anything for me at all. At all. Yeah, it was sad her daughter got kidnapped and all (nice job of suspense there), but (sorry if this sounds harsh) why should I care? (Let me explain! ^_^)

When you write a story, the top rule is to make your readers care. A lot of it has to do with the type of writing that is presented, and a lot has to do with the emotions presented. You've got a great idea for a story here, but you need to clear up a LOT of things before you work on your style.

First off, I was confused about the difference between Madeline and Elizabeth. It sounded like both of them were the little girl's mother at the end. And what was the mother doing? Was she seeking revenge or was she just in the park? Who murdered the little girl? It sounded like the two red-haired boys did, which I'm sure isn't true. Could you clarify that?

My biggest problem with the story was that it just wasn't believable. Why didn't the mother try to go and look for her daughter? The story went way too quickly, and because it went too quickly, I didn't have time to develop a connection to the characters. I mean, intellectually I'm sorry that the girl got kidnapped and murdered, but it didn't trigger that "OMG!" emotion in me that a good story does. I'm not saying you're a bad writer; simply, some things need to be clarified, and the emotional vagueness needs to be cleaned up.

One other thing I noticed was the dialogue. It seemed contrived, and I couldn't see real people speaking that way at all. Their reactions seemed forced, so, therefore, their words did, too. Try reading it aloud and seeing how it sounds. It'll sound crisp, clear, and not forced.

Finally, why would Ralph propose to her at the end when her daughter had just been killed. If he was the great sensitive guy he seemed to be, then why the heck would he do such an insensitive thing as propose to her when her daughter had just been killed?

I must say I overall enjoyed reading it. Just a few things to be cleared up, and I really hope you can make this story even better! Best of luck. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

270 Reviews

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:46 pm
Alice says...

Ok if this was alive, it would be dead. I edited it THAT much. Is it any better?
I just lost the game.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:30 am
LowKey says...

I didn't see it before, so I can't say. What I can say, though, is this:

It was incredible. You gave the readers time to like the daughter and get a feel for the characters. Then you shred it all when the daughter gets kidnapped. Talk about edge of your seat! That part, I think, was the best part of the story.

Side note:

Elizabeth smiled up at them from the slab, her eyes closed, her face scarred.

:smt103 Creeeeeeeeepy! :smt103

Side note over.

One thing that irked me was how she kept talking about feeling like a teenager again, and yet you say she's twenty. Wouldn't that mean that just last year she was a teenager? Most of the twenty-year-olds I've met still act like teenagers. There are some that act like they're in their forties, but I'm under the impression that those people were born that way. My point is that people don't stop being immature/rash/party animals/ in possession of a young brain with an over-active pre-frontal cortex over night simply because they turn twenty.
Okay, rant over. :roll:

Almost.

While four years may have passed for your characters, less than two seconds have passed for your readers. They go from seeing Madeline depressed and grieving to watching Ralph propose to her and her happily accept it. Even with the knowledge that this was four years into the future didn't help the jar I felt. There's no transition.

Like I've already said. This story was amazing. Already in love with it. You could probably make this into a series if you wanted, with the plot being Madeline overcoming her grief and opening back up. Maybe you could end the series with Ralph proposing to her. That would still give your characters a happy ending, but also give the transition needed.

That's just an idea. Another idea is that you could make it longer, but I don't think that giving the basic rundown of what happened during those four years would help much. In fact, I think it would be cheating, as I can only see it being done through loads of telling. If you can pull it off with out making it too long or telling and not showing, MEGA points for you! :D

So those are just two ideas on how to smooth it out a bit. There are thousands more out there, I'm sure. That part was the only part I wasn't thrilled for. I'm still happy for them, but it needs to flow better.

All in all, this was (again) incredible. PLEASE keep it up.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:06 pm
Night Mistress says...

That was very sad. I like the little girl.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

270 Reviews

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am
Alice says...

Hm... make it a series... that would be cool...Maybe...I'll try to make another one next time I'm bored.
I just lost the game.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:23 am
Loose says...

Alrighty **cracks knuckles**
Lets begin.

I've had this link open about 2 minutes and I've already found a few minor things...

She did, she spun and spun and spun as fast as she could.

In my opinion, this would benefit better as two separate sentences, and with less "spun"

"She did. She spun and spun as fast as she could."

Better?

Next...

she didn't stop, she couldn't stop.

I'm a semi-colon nut; promoting the semi-colon where-ever possible. This comma should be a semi-colon, since the second half of the sentence is explaining the first half.

Next...

"Mommy!" she called joyfully, "mommy look at me!"

Now, a few things with this. Firstly, that comma should be a period.

"Mommy!" She called joyfully." end of sentence.

Second, the exclamation mark indicates the first sentence she says has ended, so use a capital letter!

"Mommy, look at me!"

Next...

Her mom smiled and waved, "slow down, honey! You're going to fall!"

Same thing.

"Her mom smiled and waved." Period.

"Slow down, honey!" Capital.

Next...

Her mom laughed and walked over to her, with a quick sweep she lifted the child off of her feet and into her arms, "better?"

That would be better as 2 sentences.

"Her mom laughed and walked over to her. With a quick sweep she lifted the child off of her feet and into her arms." Period, too.

"Better?" Capital.

Next...

The child giggled,

Period.

Her mother set her down,

Period.

smacked her butt gently

Hehe. Sorry but I really don't think "Butt" fits here. Try "Bum". I know, I hate the word "bum", but "butt" takes away the magical bonding moment and turns it into a teenager trying not to curse.

"Have fun sweeties!"

Sweeties? Does the child have two heads? Lose the plural or you risk confusing people.

as she walked away. "Have fun sweeties!"

Squee! You got the "period-capital" thing right!

"Cute kid Madeleine."

"Thanks Ralph, she's perfect," the twenty year old single mother looked at her daughter happily.

No good! Who is Ralph? Where did he come from? You have to introduce Ralph before he talks, or between what he says and what Madeline says. Otherwise he may as well be Gazoo because he appears from no where, just to talk.

Also, what Madeline says in reply, no good.

"Thanks Ralph. She is perfect." Sounds much better. Only, since when are kids perfect? I thought adults usually whinged about their kids whenever they got the chance...

Plus, "the twenty year old single mother looked at her daughter happily".

Purple prose much?

You're cramming too much into a sentence where the average, non-writing person would just say "She said".

Try "The single mother looked at her daughter with pride." It's shorter and sums it up, too. Add later that she's only twenty. On the positive side, at least you didn't write 20.

Next...

"Um... Madeline, I was, I mean to say, would you... oh never mind."

I read this thinking "Blahhhh". You need to break this sentence up with some description.

For instance.

"Um... Madeline?" Ralph looked down at his sneakers as he grounded the toe into the dirt. "I was. . . I mean. . . would you. . . oh, never mind."

Sounds much better.

"Ralph, just spit it out."

Bland. Description.

"Ralph, just spit it out!" Madeline ordered, impatiently.

The two bland sentences together, as you had it, adds more blah to this piece, and no one wants that. All speech is what my brother wrote in his year 2 English book. I had to add that, he's standing right here and it was the first comparison I thought of.

Next...

"Would you like to go out on a date with me sometime?"

You can leave this sentence as it is once you've spiced up the two before it. But only then!

Madeline's face turned slightly red, she shouldn't say yes, she shouldn't set herself up for heartbreak again, but she couldn't say no, she didn't want to.

Why is this all one sentence? Break it up.

"Madeline's face turned slightly red. She knew she shouldn't say yes; she shouldn't set herself up for heartbreak again. But she couldn't say no; she didn't want to."

You gotta love semi-colons!

"That sounds great, when would be a good time?"

This sentence doesn't mesh with the previous one. Given that it is her talking, it should really be on it's own line, or once again you risk the reader's confusion.

"Friday?"

Not big on the question mark there. Either change it to a period or give it a friend.

"Friday?" Ralph suggested.

"Sounds great." Oh no, she said that twice? could she have a bigger stupid moment?

Bad bad bad bad bad! First, "Sounds great" repeated twice isn't really obvious unless you point it out, which you do, which adds blah. Also, why is the third person saying "oh-no"? Third person doesn't usually have an opinion. The following sentence makes no sense either.

"could she have a bigger stupid moment?"

First, capital C! Second, this sentence is one readers will have to read aloud to understand what you mean. Try:

"Could she have been any stupider?"

But then again, you don't even need and of that. Everything after "Sounds great" is just, as I said, blah.

Ralph's son, Christopher, was stuck on the monkey bars crying out. "Oh no, I'll be right back." Ralph ran over and lifted his son onto his shoulders.

Okay, here you introduce Christopher as a distraction, but it seems pretty sloppy. How about:

"A cry from the monkey bars indicated Christopher, Ralph's son, was in trouble."

Put "Oh no, I'll be right back" on it's own line. Followed by "Ralph said before he rushed over to his son's rescue." Makes him sound more attractive, since he is the main love interest. The knight in shining armour, so to speak.

"Mommy!"

Madeline looked over and saw her daughter, Elizabeth, stuck in the sandbox; two boys were kicking sand in her face. Madeline marched over and grabbed the two boys' ears. Nobody messed with her daughter.

Come on, Alice. You could have written this so much better! Basically what I get from this part is that you need a reason to separate the "lovers" and you rushed to split them up. You definitely need something before the child calls out "Mommy".

For Instance:

"Madeline watched as Ralph hoisted his son over his left shoulder. She flushed. His muscles were rippling from under his shirt. . ." et cetera, followed by "Her thoughts were distracted by a call from her daughter"

Then you add what you already had written, WHICH HAS A SEMI-COLON!

"What do you think you're doing to my daughter?"

How old are the boys, exactly? If they're under the age of 18, I suggest you give the adult more authority. If a mother saw that happening, she would say something like "How dare you boys do that to my daughter. I'll make sure your parents hear about this" or something along those lines. She wouldn't ask them what they were doing because it gives her less power.

She got only whimpers and whines.

How? She needs to show more authority...

“Who are your parents?”

Now we're getting somewhere!

The little red-headed boy pointed at a sour looking woman sitting on a bench.

This sentence is good...

Madeline took the two boys by the ears over to them, leaving Elizabeth alone in the sandbox to play.

Unfortunately you follow it up with this. The main part I'll complain about is

two boys by the ears over to them,

"Madeline, still holding the two boys by their ears, took them over to the woman (or even her)"

Better?

politely, “are these your boys?”

Period-capital!

said, “what have they done now?”

Period-capital

The mother glared at the children and took their arms, Madeline let go, “what did you think you were doing?” her voice became very stern.

Comma between "arms" and "Madeline" should really be a period.
Period-capital!
Also, what the woman says seems very out of character from the "sour" woman you suggested she was. Shouldn't her voice always have had a stern edge to it?

“We-we-we were just…playing mommy.”

This should be followed by "Stammered the red headed boy", or whichever one said it.

“Yeah well you should know the difference between playing and bullying by now Anthony!”

This could do with a bit more punctuation.

"Yeah? Well, you should know the difference between playing and bullying by now, Anthony!"

Better?

Elizabeth tugged on Madeline’s sleeve, “mommy I’m hungry.”

I thought she was in the sand-box...

PERIOD-CAPITAL!

Madeline picked her daughter up, “alright honey, wanna go to McDonalds?”

Period-capital.

Also, you really could improve that a little.

"Alright, honey. Want to go to McDonalds?"

Elizabeth smiled and nodded. “Alright, go get your jacket, I’m going to say good-bye to Ralph.”

Speech should be on its own line. Also, you probably should split this up into sentences.

"Okay, go get your jacket. I'm going to say good-bye to Ralph."

“Okay mommy.” The little girl ran off again.

Hehe, cute.

“You’re daughter sure is something,” Ralph commented.

Where the hell did he come from? Gazoo!
Also, why is he saying "You are daughter sure is something."?
Period, no comma!

“She’s your daughter for one. Two, she is the most well-behaved little girls I have ever seen.”

Aw, sweet. You indicate her as a plural again. "Little girl"

“Ralph you sure are a sweet talker,”

Comma.

"Ralph, you sure are a sweet talker." Period!

Madeline said and kissed his cheek just as Elizabeth came up.

Came up? That bugs me. Fix it. Perhaps "Showed up"?

she thought, what am I doing

Period-capital

She ignored the question in her head

No she didn't. She just thought it.

“Ready honey?” Elizabeth nodded. “Alright say bye to Ralph.”

I don't think this should all be on one line...

“Bye Ralph!” she said in her cute five-year-old voice.

Her cute five year old voice? This gives me the impression that she doesn't normally talk like that.

Madeline buckled Elizabeth into the car seat and went to hers.

Where did the car come from? Weren't they at the park bench?

Madeline held up an outfit and threw it down, ugly.

This is raced. Make it longer by adding something along the lines of
"Madeline held up an outfit and studied it, looking for whether or not it would highlight her curves" et cetera.

Seven outfits later she heard a knock on her door and shouted helplessly, “come in!”

That was a quick seven outfits...
Also, PERIOD-CAPITAL!

The door opened and- twenty-year-old mother of three-Donna came in.

Blah...

How about

"The door opened and Madeline's good friend Donna walked in."

“I’m going naked!”

Hehe

down on the bed, she felt like such a teenager.

Split this into two sentences.

pulled her back up, “not on the first date,

Period-Capital!

Besides, I brought some of my own.”

Her own what?

She stood up and pulled off the first top.

From where?

Wasn't she already standing?

“Green and brown go good together,”

Period, no comma. And no, I don't think they do.

Also, "go well together". I'm sure Madeline isn't a teenager or a foreigner.

that’s a huge no.”

"Huge no-no"

pulled off a pink one.

From where?

Not being shy Madeline pulled off her blue knit sweater and buttoned the pink blouse up,

Period. Also, wasn't she meant to put the top on? You usually do that before buttoning it up.

blouse up, “wow that

Period-Capital

“You look great, now where is that skirt,” she

Period-Capital.

Also, make it two sentences rather than one.

outfit is done, Then on to your hair.”

Period, not a comma. Also, I would prefer if this said "Then we'll start on your hair."

let those fall to the floor.

Let what?

“Ha, put this on and your outfit is done, Then on to your hair.” Madeline pulled the mini-skirt on over her sweat pants and let those fall to the floor. Donna French-braided her hair twice, letting the short hairs fall down.

This whole part is raced. I feel like I'm watching a movie I've never seen, and someone is pressing fast-forward every ten minutes, so I'm missing important plot points. Slow the story down, or the reader will feel like reading this was their daily exercise.

There was a knock on the front door, Madeline jumped up and walked as fast as she could to the living room.

Make this two sentences.

She smiled at Ralph,

Where did he come from? Gazoo!

“Absolutely,” she took

Period-Capital

If Georgia’s still unstable her mom will

Why was "unstable" in italics? If any word should be, make it "still"

“It’s a secret,” he put his hand on her knee, “don’t worry, you’ll love it.”

You got it right, almost. The comma after "knee" should be a period. But you got the "comma, no capital" thing down pat, which I assume you were trying to do earlier? Le Woot!

“Fine,” he said.

Period-capital

“if you want,

Capital. It's the start of a sentence.

He lifted an eyebrow, and grinned.

No comma

The concert rocked, Madeline couldn’t stop smiling.

What? How did they get there so fast? Damn, someone pressed fast-forward again!

started to file out Ralph put his arm around her waist.

"File out (comma) Ralph..."

She smiled, “that’s a very good thing.”

Period-Capital. How is it a good thing?

Her second favorite band, Oh Ralph, you’re…perfect.

What? Why is this all one sentence?

A look of panic crossed their faces and he went faster. The police cars were parked outside of her house.

Whoo! A climax at last!

“I’m Madeline Crawford, what’s going on in my house?”

I don't like this. If she was panicking, why did she bother to introduce herself?

The police officer explained that the neighbors had called after hearing gun shots, and that they had arrived finding Donna dead.

“Where’s my daughter?”

“We don’t know.”

Madeline’s world collapsed, her knees buckled, and everything went black.

You've got to be kidding me, fast forward AGAIN?

her eyes, “yeah?”

Period-capital

“Anything to help get my baby back.”

She doesn't really sound like she's panicking.

“Donna Simons, she was going to stay with her until I came home.”

No comma. Make it a period or a semicolon.

“Is there anyone who doesn’t like you? Anybody who would want to hurt you for some reason?”

Nice. Why would he say that when they murdered Donna, not her?

Agonizingly long weeks passed, and the worst part was they didn’t find Elizabeth.

You fast forwarded again! I missed plot points!

No sign of her anywhere, Madeline spent more time pacing around the living room and crying.

Make that two sentences.

one before, her cell phone

Semi colon!

Ralph helped her a lot, he took her

Semi colon

her cell phone, but at the end of the day

Turn the comma into a period.

she finally broke and cried

She had been crying the whole time...

“Hello Miss Crawford? This is detective Mason.”

“Yes, hi, detective Mason.”

“Miss Crawford, we’ve found your daughter.”

“Oh my god, really?”

“Yes, but...”

“Miss Crawford, she’s dead.”

This is the big moment in your story, and you kinda botched it. As I said earlier... I think, it's getting hard to remember... when you make things strictly speech, without and description, you race through it, which makes it less of a firework and more of a year 2 school report.

Madeline’s world fragmented,

Fragmented doesn't work here. Try dumbing it down a bit, with a word like "shattered". Although shattered isn't really dumbed down, it makes a lot more sense.

her daughter, her beautiful baby girl, was dead.

This shouldn't be connected to another sentence. It should be a line of its own. Set it free.

Madeline couldn’t think, she couldn’t focus, it was like her mind broke inside her

This just doesn't sound right. It sounds not only raced, but forced. Like you knew you had to describe a moment like this but you were reluctant to. It's like you were assigned this by a teacher. You wrote this out of your own free will, so relax a little.

How could this have happened? How could she have let her daughter be killed? Why had it happened?

Forced

Thoughts swam around in her head as she balled, if she hadn’t gone out with Ralph she could’ve protected her

This shouldn't be one sentence, break it up.

nobodies but her own.

Nobodies? you mean no-one elses. It fits better.

The drive to the police station was short and silent. They were led down to the morgue.

Fast forwarded.

Elizabeth smiled up at them

If she's dead, she can't smile because there's no tension in her face. Also, I've heard (this may not be true) that when you die, your eyes stay open because there is no tension. I'm not sure because I've never watched a person die before, but I know she wouldn't be smiling.

Ralph held her up as she sobbed

Elizabeth?

“How did she die?” Ralph asked for Madeline.

I really don't think Madeline would care to know.

“Multiple fractions to the abdomen and the ribs, she was crushed to death.”

Should be two sentences

around her, “she was run over?”

Period-capital.

The coroner shook his head, “no, someone much larger than her was on her.”

Tragic. And not just that she was crushed, you still aren't doing the "Period-Capital".

Although he hadn’t said it, Ralph and Madeline both knew what had happened.

But he just did say it...

“Have they found who did it?” The coroner nodded.

Why is the coroner asking Madeline? And is the nodding a twitch? These should be separate, or the reader's confusion is risked once more.

Another month went by.

Fast forward again. Who did it?

Madeline visited Elizabeth every day, never bringing Ralph. She didn’t blame him, she couldn’t blame him.

but she does...

to go back to her house, Elizabeth’s memory was etched

Semicolon

Another month went by. Elizabeth had been buried, the trial had happened and the pedophile had been sentenced to life in prison.

Madeline visited Elizabeth every day, never bringing Ralph. She didn’t blame him, she couldn’t blame him. He had been so helpful throughout the whole ordeal, and he never grew tired of her. She still couldn’t bring herself to go back to her house, Elizabeth’s memory was etched all over it. The first time she tried she saw Elizabeth skipping from the couch to the kitchen to sneak a cookie.

She couldn’t do that again. Elizabeth was her life, everything revolved around what had been right for her, the best way to protect her. Madeline would have done anything for her, she would have killed, and she would have died, anything to ensure her daughters safety. And the one night she did something for herself, with no bitter thoughts in her head, was the night Elizabeth needed her more than ever.

She couldn’t cry any more, all the tears she had were shed.

Four years passed.

Madeline was sitting at a dinner with Ralph. He looked extremely nervous. “Ralph? Are you okay?”

He swallowed, “yeah, why?”

“You just look really nervous.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box, “Madeline,” he swallowed again. Madeline was having a hard time not laughing. “Will you marry me?”

“What?”

“I wanted to ask you for… a year now but, I couldn’t get up the courage to ask you.” He opened the box and she gasped silently.

“You mean you’ve been carrying this around with you for a year?” He nodded. “I love you,” she sighed taking his hand.

“Is that a yes?”

She smiled, “that’s a yes.”

This whole ending is rushed, like you were trying to get to the end, and quite honestly I was trying to get to the end too. When I read this, it starts like you're really into the story and ends like you are in a rush to finish an English assignment. I repeat what I said before. RELAX! It's your own piece, there should be no pressure.

I hope this crit helped because it took me about 2 hours to write!!

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami