z

Young Writers Society

I Watch As She Kills Herself

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:33 pm
Gadi. says...

She snorts with me, together. Nobody speaks.

Your skin makes me shiver.

She slowly drops the pills into the glass, I watch as they melt inside, as she swirls the water with a spoon, until the odor fills the gaps in my nose.

I know I will miss you.
She dims the lights in the room, and I gradually sense the vibrations of the cocaine prickle the thin outer layer of skin surrounding my veins. I feel light, I feel full, I feel…stimulation.

It was our idea.

She rises from the pillows on the floor and walks towards the table, spreads her arms and grabs a piece of paper and a ballpoint pen. She hands them to me and hisses in her sweet, sweet voice, with angel eyes, the pale face outlined with white dust. My heart flutters at her. She is trembling when I take it from her.

Write down our letter.
She gazes at me with edgy eyes, and I slowly raise the pen to the paper and try to see what I scribble. I hold the pen so tight in my fingers that the drops trickle from my fingertips onto the piece of paper, blood-red drops that stick like sugar. The pen meets with paper, and I put pressure, softly, gently, until the words fly away onto the page, until the life is asphyxiating the floor.

Read it out loud.

It was our idea. We needed something to make it stop. We are tired of the blame, of the terrible, terrible life we must live in the shadow that hides America, the world. I look up and all I see is a sun, no clouds, no rain, no nothing—navy skies and the sun. But the feeling inside, the deep line etched so terribly in my chest, I cannot escape. The screams from inside delve into my flesh, but there is nothing—simply nothing—I could do. I wish I could. We would both do it together. Goodbye.

We love each other so much.

She pours herself a cup of water. Then she raises her hands to her belly and massages her fingers deep into the skin, until the feet stop thrusting. Pain radiating from her in curling waves of heat towards the walls, towards the world. I love her. This was our decision. We couldn’t live without a choice—so we chose not to live, and the decision was caving in on us from all sides. She grunts, and I ask her if she is okay. But I know she isn’t. It’s hard to talk; our mouths are dry. The stinging heartbeat plugs the room, and the darkness, the candles as they slowly shimmer in the corners of inexistence all produce an eerie feeling of a séance.

It hurts. When will it stop?
She shows me her legs, her stomach, her breasts. I wish none of this would’ve happened. She is my magnet and soon the world only sees her, and we bond for our last time. The sweat budding down her neck, the pain and anger, escapes, all the bad escapes with the fresh air, and with heightened senses I look up to the ceiling and grunt with ecstasy. I pull away and she dresses up again. Her stomach is full, but the slow delights of movement fade with the knowledge that we will meet up with the ghost.

Touch me.
She snakes her fingers into the dress and wears it. She looks…beautiful. Yellow colors swirl in my vision and the red spots turn like a carousel, slowly, everything is interconnected. An orchestra gradually building to a climax, of trumpets chiming away piercingly, the slow finale; how a gum loses its pink flavor after thirty seconds; after the forlorn Christmas and the beggars on the streets live with the rats; how the butterflies live for three days and then crumble away.

Let’s get ready for it.
She rises and brings her most utter treasures. A book, a tome she adores; a vase full of red flowers floating in water; a picture of her mother, who passed away three years ago, when she was fourteen. I wanted to hear her sing a song, the most perfect song, but she would never sing again. I could feel the air jetting from her; I could feel my throat clogging up.

It’s a small town.
She twists her lips with apprehension. I did not understand a word she said, but I could hear the faint whispers shaking in the oxygen that was flowing through my lungs. How old was she now—seventeen, I know—but at heart? She was still a baby. That’s why I loved her so. That’s why the blood stopped.

Is that why we are doing it?
She drinks the cup of water, the devil’s nectar, as our arms and elbows entwine. Overwhelming misery slits my chest, and then the panic—the deathly terror—fills me up, I can hear my mother weeping over my dead body.

This is the moment I’ve waited for all my life.
She shudders, dies, the pale skin, the lips. Blood, death, dear life, I can listen to her screaming—but she never had a voice.

Goodbye for now.
She spreads her wings and drifts away.
Last edited by Gadi. on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:45 pm
Aet Lindling says...

...Whoa.

This was a rather pleasant twist on the usual "oh look at me I'm so emo, and now i'll kill myself", and yet I suppose pleasant isn't the right word, lol. A breath of fresh air, anyway.

The telepathy was a bit confusing, as was whether both of them were dying or just her, and how it was happening. The writing was quite purple, but still good, and I liked the mother subplot.

"How old was she now—seventeen, I know—but at heart?"

You may want to replace those dashes with plain old commas.

"How old was she now, seventeen, I know, but at heart?"

Though that looks a bit clumsy too... Ah well. See ya!
dun worry
it's all gun be k

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:15 am
Emerson says...

It made me think of Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, although I'm not sure anyone would know it unless they heard H.I.M.s ghastly cover of it.

This was... okay. The writing has some problems. You did way more telling than any one story should rightly have, and a lot of your phrases were the same. "I watched as..." All of those can be cut, don't tell us what you saw, show us, immerse us in the story too. Don't just make us the viewer, we want to be in the story.

The next thing is a really, really big thing. Character. These people are killing themselves, but! Why? Not only that, but is it something so horrible that it's willing to have my sympathy, ever? You have to think whether or not the reader will think that suicide is a justified thing--if they don't, you're story is already rather weak. If they do, they want to know why even more. You have to tell us why because we need to sympathize with the reader, and we need to say, "Wow, I can't believe the horrible life they've lead, and now...this...?" So we feel sorry for them, and most importantly, understand the characters. Otherwise they're just killing themselves, and without a reason, I'm thinking, "Wow, these kids do not understand life. It's not that bad. The bumps just make you strong." And it's not like I've lived the most amazing life ever, I have many problems. Of course, I don't think highly of suicide as a means of escape, so I'm also biased ;-) That's not the point.

If you fixed up those two points, and perhaps gave it more of a plot (Conflict, real dialog, more narration rather than telling) it might come out much better. Best of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:38 am
October Girl says...

You asked me to review your work if you'd review mine, like I said about mine you will be scared for life. Anyways I think this was great, but! Claud was right, why is the characters trying to kill themselves? What happend between them? Is there something going to happen to them? Think about it. Keep writing, I really like this.

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:45 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Yeah, I agree with Claud.

But though you need to improve on the writing, the voice was okay. A bit creepy, but yeah.

The italics are unnecessary, but i sure do like them there.

Makes it lyrical.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:55 pm
omgsh mikey says...

I really liked the story, but there was something I didn't like.

It was in present tense.

I usually don't have a problem with this, but there were some points in the story where it was phrased wrong. She is trembling as I take them from her should be She trembles as I take them from her. Don't say I watch so much, because after a while it gets boring and readers won't want to continue.
"This band is metal in that we have a lot of metal in our instruments, and there's quite a lot of metal on my belt buckle as well." - Mikey Way

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 pm
Evangelina says...

This was interesting. Good plot, descriptions lovely...not sure what, but somethings missing. I'll get back to yeh.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:06 pm
Someguy says...

Really nice and dramatic. Not that pathetic love stories.
This was really good :) :D :) :D :) :wink:
You write it as if you are part of it.
Really good. Can't wait for your next book. :D :wink:
Look at my big shiny shell...

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:17 am
ATragicLoveStory says...

Wow, I really loved this piece. It had so much description and I think I understand why she killed herself and himself. It seemed as if you gave off the type of vibe that she was pregnant, and I apologize if I misunderstood. Nice job. Keep on writing and maybe take some of the ideas that the other authors have presented as they commented your piece as well.

Note to Claudette,

I DO know of the song that you were talking about. It is one of my favorite songs. :wink: And it does fit this story perfectly.

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:17 pm
View Likes
Gadi. says...

THANK YOU!

I liked this one a few days after I wrote it, but now I don't...

To xxxImperfectlyPerfectxxx --It's true, she is pregnant. GOOD JOB! I think you were the first one?

Someguy-- :D :D :D Thank you!

Evangelina--I know, I have that feeling too with this piece.

To all the others, I changed everything you wanted me to, except the present tense. So yay.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace