Young Writers Society

A Game to Play (edited)

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 am
chayonz says...

The Start of the Game

It was the hair.

The first time I saw him was when I was walking through the hall early in the morning with my friend Ash. I only saw the back of him and he was walking with another boy. The school year hadn’t officially started, so seeing a new kid wasn’t unusual at this time of year.

“Look. Its another new kid.” She whispered to me while eyeing him up and down. I looked up and I saw him. From the back all I could tell was that he was quite cute, but this was all due to his figure, his face was concealed from view. His bag hung on one shoulder and he walked with an air of coolness. He looked like he had already been accepted into this school with open arms from the ‘other’ group of people. When I say ‘other’ I mean the people who aren’t exactly my friends.

In my grade the people are separated into three groups, and it isn’t like an actual group separation, but instead a type of student separation depending on personalities likes, and dislikes, and also obviously the type of person you are. My group of friends were just normal people, if you could call us that. We stuck to the safe side of life and weren’t into the whole drugs, smoking, and sex thing which surrounded one of the three groups of people in our grade. We consisted of a large variety of people, artists, sport-aholics, nerds (not the type of nerds who wear glasses, have braces, and the freckles. I mean ‘nerd’ as in just really smart), plain people, and then crazy, but safe in some aspects, people. Sort of like me. If you’re imagining something like the set up of ‘Mean Girls’ with Lindsey Lohan and some actors who I don’t care to know the name of, its not like that. The differences in people are much more subtle and less expressed.

“Who is it?” I asked.

“Dunno.” She said. “but I think he has already made himself friends with Toni. Too late for us I guess.” She laughed. Toni was a particular type of person with a very loud mouth and whose loyalty only lies with those who could familiarize with his crude humor and explicit ways. In other words he was a self-conceited snob and an annoying crap head. My friends and I nicknamed him ‘road kill’ because he looked like he was run over by a bull dozer, he was the skinniest kid in our grade. His face could almost be considered flat, his arms were as thin as a six-year-olds. Ironically, he is the oldest kid in our grade. I think he flunked two grades or something, because he’s already eighteen, but only a freshman.

“Ah what a shame.” I grinned.

That was two hours ago. This is now.

We were in IT class and our teacher, Mr. Brandt, was assigning us places for he said we all chattered too much. He put us all against the wall and one by one called out our names. Then he walked into the class.

I never imagined that someone’s hair could possibly put me into such a trance. I never usually start drooling over a guy according to his looks. My motto was ‘personality before features’. But at this moment I didn’t know how I could resist. My past boyfriends had never been much to look at, but they had been amazing people nonetheless. That was what had confused me. Why had I changed my opinions so suddenly? It wasn’t like me. I had never thought like this before. Why now?

It wasn’t until Ash gently shoved me that I realized that I had been staring at him the whole time while my mind was reeling with thoughts.

“Dude what are you staring at?” She muttered.

“Look!” I said pointing at the new kid. She turned her head in the direction I was pointing at and her mouth opened in gaped silence. “Do you see his hair?"

“Damn.” She whispered. I looked at him again, but this time I looked at his face. He had a perfect tan and small light freckles dotted his face. His eyes were deep and he was just so god damn good looking.

“What a waste!” I said to her remembering who he had been with this morning.

“I agree.” He had to be the cutest boy in the school. Later after the class had finished I found out that his name was Matt. He was half Malaysian and half Canadian. His Malaysian side was of the origninal Malaysians or something. A tribal part which is almost lost and gone. He was fifteen years old and the most amazing thing that I found out was that his birthday was a day before mine. It was on October 8th. I took this as a sign of good luck.

I dropped my bag on the floor of my room and plopped unto my bed and crisscrossed my fingers behind my head.

Sigh.

Would it really even be possible to get a guy like that?

Me?

Well there is no hurt in trying.

But I could just end up getting hurt. I’m sick of getting hurt.

Then don’t get too attached.

But I don’t even know him.

I have the rest of the year to find out.

What if he’s just like all the other people who are jerks and personality-less?

Well then I could just quit going after him if I think so.

Hmmm.

I sat up in my bed.

“Kris, stop being such a wuss!” I said out loud to myself.

It’s year 10, it’s a year to be bold.
Last edited by chayonz on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
h a y o n :)

nobody is perfect. thats why pencils have erasers.
- unknown

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:49 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Okay, well. I guess I'd have to read a lot more of this to actually be interested. Typical romance, nothing different..yet. You've still to put your own twist on this.

This year is going to be a turning point. I am so sure of it. I was so going to get him!

"I was" should be "I am".

This is generally grammatically correct. The beginning drags you in a little bit. Edit the second paragraph to draw you in deeper.

Like I said....keep working on this. Prove to us that this is not just another cliche-ridden romance.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:28 am
KingKamor says...

Either you need to make it funnier, or change the title of the thread, because I didn't laugh that much. >.> Maybe you'll show some comedy in the next chapter?

Almost all of the grammer was correct, aside from the part that Perforatedxhearts caught. I liked how the first sentence was "It was the hair." It made me think about that one show "Perfect Hair Forever," And I chuckled inwardly.

Good luck, and keep writing! =3
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

59 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 59
Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:54 am
Fye says...

Hi, just to tell you a small fact I picked out. XD

You mentioned Matt is partially Malaysian, and that's great! I live in Malaysia. But there's one thing. Well, "Malaysian" would usually be used for citizenship. Malaysia's made up from many different races. It's like "Australian" or "American". Those aren't exactly races, right? You would say Caucasian or something. So, in this case, Malaysian isn't really a good word to use. Just pointing it out. ;) Other than that, this chapter is good enough! Now, to comment on #1.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:50 am
writergirl007 says...

"The first time I saw him was when I was walking through the hallway with my friends. ...My friend Ash and I saw him for the first time that morning."
This is basically repeating the same thing. try this: "The first time I saw him was when I was walking through the hall early in the morning with my friend Ash." Or something like that. This basically combines the two sentences.

"From the back all I could tell that he had an attractive figure."
"Was" after "tell"

"In other words he was a self conceited snob and an annoying crap head."
"self conceited" should be "self-conceited".

"His face was flat, his arms were as thin as a six year olds and the ironic thing is that he is the oldest kid in our grade."

"and" where the comma after flat is. "six year olds" should be "six-year-olds". Start new sentence with "the" and take out the "and". Also, try not to use "thing". It's not the best in writing. Try this: "Ironically, he is the oldest kid in our grade."

"We were in IT class and our teacher Mr. Brandt was assigning us places for he said we all chattered too much."
Set of commas around "Mr. Brandt"

"His hair was perfect. His hair itself wasn’t unique in any way. It was a plain black with no shine or shimmer to it."
Try combining this. "His hair was perfect, not because it was unique in anyway, for, it was plain black with no shine or shimmer to it." Or something like that.

This is pretty good. But, it is way too choppy. Try combining sentences. Also, try not to give too many details. Add some of the story line and plot, not just how someone looks! But, it was good. I liked it.
"It is better to save than to destroy, and that justice is most righteous which is tempered by mercy." Mark Twain

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:48 pm
Meep says...

chayonz wrote:I only saw the back of him and he was walking with another jock.

Don't use words like "jock;" they're stupid stereotypes. Say that he was hanging out with the captain of the football team, or the star of the basketball team. Is he trailing behind the other person, like he wants to be included, or have they already accepted him into the fold.

chayonz wrote:It was the beginning of the school year so seeing a new kid come after the school year had officially started wasn’t unusual.

This sentence is unnecessarily wordy. It would be quicker and easier to say "Seeing a new kid wasn't unusual at the beginning of the school year."

chayonz wrote:His bag hung on one shoulder and he walked with a coolness which surrounded almost all the preps.

Don't say "preps," either. Something along the ines of "there was an aura of coolness that surrounded him."

chayonz wrote:Toni was a prep. In other words he was a self-conceited snob and an annoying crap head. My friends and I called him road kill because he looked like he was run over by a bull dozer, he was the skinniest kid in our grade. His face was flat, his arms were as thin as a six-year olds and the ironic thing is that he is the oldest kid in our grade. He flunked two grades I think and whereas the average age in our grade is fifteen and sixteen, he was soon becoming eighteen.

Again, don't say "prep." It makes you, the author, sound like an idiot. (No offense, but it really does.)
Next, this Toni doesn't sound like a "prep." He sounds like someone that people take advantage of; he's popular because he has a car, maybe, and maybe a lot of underage kids ask him to buy them cigarettes or brown-bag magazines. (He reminds me of Vince, a character in What Happened to Lani Garver.)
This paragraph would also be a great time to show some real voice. "I think he flunked two grades or something, because he was about to turn eighteen but he was only a sophomore." See how that uses less words and it gives us an idea of the narrator's internal voice?

chayonz wrote:We were in IT class and our teacher, Mr. Brandt, was assigning us places for he said we all chattered too much. He put us all against the wall and one by one called out our names. Then he walked into the class.

The way this is written makes it sound like Mr. Brandt had just walked into class. Maybe italicize "he" to put more emphasis on it, or say, "or then the new kid came in," or something to specific who "he" is.

chayonz wrote:His hair was perfect. His hair itself wasn’t unique in any way. It was a plain black with no shine or shimmer to it. It didn’t look especially well cared for, but the style in which he wore his hair was what attracted me and put me into such a hype. It almost cupped his head, lying flat to it and then curled out at the ends, not into any perfect curled shape as if the bottoms of his hair were blown up, but they went this way and that and crisscrossed or even just went plain straight. His eyes were half shaded by thin strands of black hair and although it was long, it wasn’t anywhere near a girls style. It reminded me of a boy in a band that I couldn’t remember. It was the perfect drummer hair cut. That was the day I was hooked.

Your narrator is incredibly shallow, you know. She sounds like the "preppies" she refers to in such a derogatory manner earlier.

chayonz wrote:My luck with boys could almost be considered disgraceful, in my eyes at least. That was grade nine. This is grade ten, and a re-run would not be permitted. I wont get into details of what happened for it’s something that I’m not very proud of and I regret every minute of it.

This year was going to be a turning point. I was so sure of it. I was so going to get him!

Your narrator's self worth depends entirely on her ability to get boys? I can't say anything about this from an objective, literary point of view, but as a person, it's very, very depressing. Your narrator is shallow and, from the sound of it, some kind of Hot Topic poster child. I probably won't be reading chapter two, because this particular flavor of female character depresses and does not interest me at all.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

82 Reviews

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 am
chayonz says...

Alright. Tx guys. I'll edit it and then repost. please keep up with the critiques!

- unknown

59 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:13 am
Fye says...

He was half Malay (from a tribal part of it somewhere) and half Canadian.

:smt016 Haha you got it quite right this time. I think you can just say "half Malay and half Canadian" Malays aren't really in tribes anymore. Glad you took the effort to do a wee bit of research. For no reason this is rather amusing! Hahahaha.. Keep it up! I agree with Meep, though, that the words like "jock" and "preps" make the narrator sound immature and it is cliche. It turns certain readers away. I think you should change that. ;)

82 Reviews

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 am
chayonz says...

ok ok. alright. i have it done but i just have to post it! I'll do it soon!! and then comment again because i will have changed a lot of stuff around!!!

- unknown

59 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:54 am
Fye says...

Waaaah... many many changes. *Activates critiquing mode* That means I might be too detailed at times but... ah, well. ;)

The school year hadn’t officially started, so seeing a new kid wasn’t unusual at this time of year.

Wha? The school year hadn't officially started? I think it should be "just only started", no?

“Look. It's another new kid.”

From the back all I could tell was that he was quite cute, but this was all due to his figure; his face was concealed from view.

I think the use of a semi-colon is necessary here.

In my grade the people are separated into three groups, and it isn’t like an actual group separation, but instead a type of student separation depending on personalities likes, and dislikes, and also obviously the type of person you are. My group of friends were just normal people, if you could call us that. We stuck to the safe side of life and weren’t into the whole drugs, smoking, and sex thing which surrounded one of the three groups of people in our grade. We consisted of a large variety of people, artists, sport-aholics, nerds (not the type of nerds who wear glasses, have braces, and the freckles. I mean ‘nerd’ as in just really smart), plain people, and then crazy, but safe in some aspects, people. Sort of like me. If you’re imagining something like the set up of ‘Mean Girls’ with Lindsey Lohan and some actors who I don’t care to know the name of, its not like that. The differences in people are much more subtle and less expressed.

Omigosh! Info dumping! This paragraph is full of explanations and it ruined the flow, sadly. :cry: Avoid lengthy explanations. In short, you can also say cliques instead of saying this group of people the type of personality etc. You also said there are 3 distinct groups but you never mentioned them. Probably you could write like this: The cliques in my grade are more subtle and less expressed than you would imagine from such movies like Mean Girls. My friends consisted of many different types of people; from sports to nerds. However, some people could only care less about making friends with just about anyone.

“Who is it?” I asked.

It has been quite some time that you haven't mentioned Ash, so I think you should mention it here or some readers might wonder who the narrator is talking to: "Who is it?" I asked Ash.

“Dunno,she said. “But I think he has already made himself friends with Toni. Too late for us I guess,she laughed.

"She said" and "she laughed" sounds repetitive for "she". Try improvising it more.

In other words, he was a self-conceited snob and an annoying crap head. My friends and I nicknamed him ‘road kill’ because he looked like he was run over by a bull dozer; he was the skinniest kid in our grade. His face could almost be considered flat, his arms were as thin as a six-year-olds. Ironically, he was the oldest kid in our grade. I think he flunked two grades [s]or something, [/s]because he’s already eighteen, but only a freshman.

"His face could almost etc." could be split into 2 sentences. But at the same time, I think that whole sentence was unnecessary. There's no need to describe skinny.

“Ah, what a shame,” I grinned.

That was two hours ago. This is now.

Once the last two sentences came up it immediately messed up your present/past tense. I think it's better to just say: It was now two hours later. We were in IT class etc.

He put us all against the wall and one by one called out our names. Then he walked into the class.

Erm, I can't imagine a teacher standing outside the classroom assigning everyone places and only then walking inside. Fix this, please.

“Look!” I said pointing at the new kid. She turned her head in the direction I was pointing at and her mouth opened in gaped silence. “Do you see his hair?"

Well, obviously this conversation isn't supposed to attract attention, so don't make Kris point out like that. Let her do something less obvious, like motioning her head or using her eyes.

His eyes were deep and he was just so God-damned good looking.

He was half-Malaysian and half-Canadian. His Malaysian side was of the origninal Malaysians or something. A tribal part which is almost lost and gone. He was fifteen years old and the most amazing thing that I found out was that his birthday was a day before mine. It was on October 8th. I took this as a sign of good luck.

Hahah.. soooo sorry for mentioning this whole Malaysian thing again haha. Anyways, to keep a long story short, I'd just put, "He was half-Malay and half-Canadian." The tribal thing leads to my point on one of your paragraphs above about lengthy explanations. Avoid explaning anything unless necessary. And if you do need to, try showing it instead of telling. And hey! October 8th's my brother's birthday! His name's not Matt, though. *laughs*

I dropped my bag on the floor of my room and plopped unto my bed and criss-crossed my fingers behind my head.

The following was more like Kris talking to herself, right? The way you presented it was really awkward. Make it look like there're two people talking to each other; using "me" and "you". Here's my suggestion:

I sighed, the thoughts of Matt still reeling in my head.

Would it really even be possible to get a guy like that?

Me?

Well there is no hurt in trying.

But I could just end up getting hurt. I’m sick of getting hurt.

Then don’t get too attached.

But I don’t even know him.

You have the rest of the year to find out.

What if he’s just like all the other people who are jerks and personality-less?

Well then you could just quit going after him if you think so.

Hmmm.

OR you could go ahead and write it in the style that you did before this: I sighed, the thoughts of Matt still reeling in my head. Would it even really be possible to get a guy like that? There's no hurt in trying. Wait, no, I could just end up getting hurt, and I'm sick of that. Well, I could also not get too attached, but I hardly know him! I guess I had the whole year to find out but I was still afraid if he was a jerk. Then again, I could quit going after him if I found him to be like that.

It’s year 10, it’s a year to be bold.

I really don't understand this sentence. Year 10 as in 10th grade? As an ending it was rather bad, as well.

Well, that was long! It's good you decided to make change, you just have to be really careful not to make such drastic changes as this. Take your time! Do what you feel is best. You listen to critiques, but it doesn't mean you have to follow exactly what they say. You're the author, so you can say what you agree on and what you don't. It's completely your choice.

Hope I've been helpful. :D
Fye.

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand