z

Young Writers Society

This is Our Song

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Sun May 22, 2011 4:01 am
youreit says...

We’re debating our song once again, trying to compromise between our contrasting music tastes with the radio on in the background for inspiration. We switch stations every few minutes, and he’s fiddling with the dial when we both freeze. He looks at me. Our minds seem to sync without saying a word and we know: This is our song. He’s not the dancing type, but he holds his hand out and pulls me up, into his strong arms. I let him lead for the first time, relinquishing the control I cling to for protection. And we dance.
Love is inescapable, a passion that grips us by our most sensitive emotions and won’t let go. Love is like a drug, giving us just enough so that we want more. And the more love we have, the less we are willing to give it up. Love entrances us with its beauty, giving us an allusion of perfection, a vision of flight, a mirage of hope. Love is gentle, like silk on a baby’s face. Love is more than lust and desire. It’s a wish for the one you love to have more than you do. It’s giving them everything you have even after you have nothing.
Months later, I’m putting on a façade of happiness. My best friends have planned a girls’ night. I’ve fooled everyone else for so long that I’ve begun to believe I’m healed myself. I cover the dark circles of insomnia with make up and I’m on my way to the restaurant when the all too familiar notes cast through the speakers like fishing lines, their hooks ripping past all my walls and into my seemingly healed heart with Marine-like precision. I let go. My strength slips away just as easily as the tears from my eyes. That was our song.
Heartbreak isn’t alluring like love, but it’s just as impossible to run from. When love’s short attention span is broken, heartbreak barges in, leaving not the careful edges of a surgeon, but rather the jagged, gaping holes of a chainsaw. Heartbreak mocks every thought of love you’ve ever given into. But it doesn’t stop at that. It reaches further, throwing your trust into a furnace of deceit. Then it hurls your confidence into a mob of gossip. And to finish you off, it tunnels out a hiding place, popping out at the most inappropriate times, just when you think you’ve recovered.
It only took a split second for every twisted, blocked out memory to race through my mind, for the front that I’ve put up to crumple. It only took me a split second to give up on feigning perfection. From that moment on, I understood that rather than actually healing, I had simply allowed the pain to fester and intensify. On that evening, I gathered all the parts that I had hurriedly misplaced at the scene of betrayal and laid them all out in front of me. And as I fit them back together, I accepted the truth: Love leads to heartbreak, and pain cannot be ignored.
I smile, because I'd rather have laugh lines than a perma frown. :)

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

I really like your style and the insights that you have in here. You use really awesome descriptions that tug on the reader's emotions and that's really good. However, I don't really think there was much of an acutal story. Unless that was what you were going for. We don't have a clue what happened that caused the break-up, but I do like that you began the story with fairy-tale romance and ended with the harsh reality of heartbreak. Overall, really well written, but you need a story in there. We need character personality, background info, etc. Keep writing and PM if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Luxe :D
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun May 22, 2011 7:02 am
harshita3chaarag says...

Hi.. So as for your story.. lemme decide what word I want to use... 'Lovely'!! 'Brilliant!!' Enchanting, sweet, captivating,!!! What do I say!! It was so sweet and wonderful that I just kept re-reading it again, and again, and again, and yet again!! It was brilliant!!! Keep it up!!
Harshita:)
The answers lie within.. You only need to look.. :)

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sun May 22, 2011 12:24 pm
MiRaCLeS says...

You have a very flowing sort of writing style here, the words were smooth and you gave plenty of descriptions. I also think that you've captured the characer's emotions beautifully.The actual writing and your language you have there is brilliant.

However, the content, I don't think you've fully written out. I can see that it's about the narator's heart break. But you haven't told us who the characters are, how they act, their personality, how they talk and even their names. We don't know any of that. We also don't know how the heart break happened. In fact, we know very little at the moment. So, I think it'd be great if you provide us with a bit more details and such.

Besides, at the moment, the story is not too long, so, I think that you can expand on it. Tell us more, show us more. Give us more of a plot line.

I think that that's the biggest stand out for me: not enough information. Although, if you do plan on add more information to this, be careful that you don't info dump. That's all :).

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 pm
Ktg17 says...

Ok this is my new favorite piece. As much as I love a sappy sweet little love story that ends happy, I can't ignore the amazing sentence structure and word choice that was in this. Wow- your similes/metaphors were just really amazing. Some people want you to expand this and give us a full background story with characters and setting, but I have to disagree. I think this is great just the way it is. Without giving it characters, setting, etc. you allowed us to envision them how we would like and made it easier for a large audience to relate to. I personally would not add more detail about the characters, but thats just my opinion. I really like this!
Keep on writing!

~Ktg

Also, please please please let me know when you post something new, especially a romantic story. I would love to read it :)
Even if you see in black and white, think in color...

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical