z

Young Writers Society

The Queen Bee [Part Two]

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:20 am
thecamillecalalas says...

Hi! Thank you for the reviews on the 1st part of this story. topic82430.html
I really appreciated those. I just started here in YWS and I already got those reviews, so it's a record. 8) Anyway, this is the second part. There isn't much going on yet, but of course,this will lead you to the third part. You might be confused with terms like "Mang" before a man's name. In the Philippines, people use Mang before an old man's name to show respect, just like "Mang Alex". As you can see, the setting is Davao City, Philippines, and what I'm portraying is the life of most teenagers there. I hope you enjoy this part! You guys are great!

Melissa's head was still hurting. Now that she remembered most of last night, she opened her eyes again. She was still in Lily's room. She checked her watch. It's 6:30 am. "Shoot!" Mel exclaimed.That made her jump off Lily's bed. The school bell would ring at 7:30 am. And worst of all, her parents would leave home for work at 7:00 am and would check her first. She stood up in an instant and realized she was still in her party dress. She grabbed her pajamas on top of Lily's dresser and changed into them. She needed to get home before her parents would find out she was gone. Lily and Em-em were sprawled on the floor, asleep. The guys are probably still downstairs, Mel thought. Empty glasses and bottles of hard liquor were scattered around Lily and Em-em.

"You two, wake up!" Melissa shook the girls. "How could you not set an alarm!"
"You were..drunk first.You din't even think offit," Lily murmured. "What time issit?"
"Oh, my head is hurting,” moaned Em-em.
"It's 6:35,” said Melissa, her arms folded.
"Right," replied Lily. Suddenly, she rose. "Darn! We're going to be late."
"Late? Are you kidding me? We are going to be really late!" exclaimed Mel.
"We are totally busted!" said Em-em, still lying flat on the floor, whose eyes were now widely awake, staring at the celing.
The two girls remained still while Melissa put her things back on her sleeping bag.
"I have to get home before my parents could kill me," Melissa said in a hurry. "See you at school. We'll deal with our tardiness later."
"Our driver Ramon could drive you and Em-em home. There aren’t any cabs here in our place this early," offered Lily.
"Fine," Mel replied in an instant.

Robinson Highlands was one of the biggest subdivisions in Davao City. The houses were all big, most of them mansions. The middle class people who wished to beautify their homes copied designs, although not entirely, from the big houses in Robinson, where many rich people in Davao lived. Melissa's house was located there. She straightened herself as the car entered their enormous gate which was opened by Mang Lando, their gardener. Her friend Em-em was already dropped at their four-storey house in Woodridge.

Melissa entered the main door carefully. She had planned to get home at five in the morning. She didn't make it so all she could do right now was hope that her parents wouldn't catch her sneaking around the house from a wild party. She tiptoed through their Barker and Stonehouse carpeted floors and up to the travertine staircase. She felt the house empty. She breathed with relief when she finally reached the door of her room without getting caught. She was about to get her key from her bag when suddenly her bedroom door opened. Her Mom stood infront of her.

"Mm-Mom,"stuttered Melissa. "Morning." She kissed her Mom on the cheek.
"I was just.."she was ready to say an alibi.
"From a party," her Mom finished for her. Mrs. Suarez was a fine beautiful woman. She ran the family's insurance company, the company started by Melissa's great-grandfather. While her husband, Mel's Dad, was a lawyer. Mel's Mom stood firm.
"Look Mom, I know you're mad but.."started Melissa.
"I'm not mad Melissa, I'm furious,"her Mom said. There was a long pause. "You know how I do not like it when you ruin my trust. Now go take a shower. You are going to be late. And wear something..decent." She glared at Mel's daring party dress slightly exposed in her opened bag. "Yes Mom." Melissa entered her room.
Before Mrs. Suarez left the room, she said, " The driver will drive you with the van. I'll tell Mang Dante and Mang Alex to go with him too."
"What? I'll ride a huge car and have three men to guard me?" complained Melissa.
"You don't expect me not to have people to watch over you after you snuck out of the house in the middle of the night to a wild party," her mother spat.

Many sons and daughters of the wealthy who were intellectually skillfull go to Davao International School. Others, who were not from a wealthy family but still went to DIS were highly intelligent scholars of the school. Melissa had been there since first grade. Since then until now that she was a highschool senior, she loved the marble floors of the school, its high ceiling, its clean grounds, and its prestigious name. The van pulled up the school's blue main gate.

"I'm late so get me a permission slip from the CAT officers and do the janitorial work for me," she commanded her bodyguards.

She entered the gate without even looking at the confused CAT officer who attempted to stop her. Lily and Em-em, who seemed to had intimidated the officers and successfully entered the gate too, met her the moment she arrived. The three walked together to class with the same vigor, the same swinging of arms, and the same identical footsteps. Students around stopped to stare, get amazed, take mobile pictures, or even whisper to each other. But no one ever dared to approach them. It had always been like this. For the other people, Melissa's life was perfect. For Melissa, it was a life of wealth, glamour, and obligation- somehow nowhere near perfect. Yet she always remained in her throne as the Queen Bee. It was who she was supposed to be.

"Melissa Suarez!" a high-pitched voice of a girl called her. It was Christine's. Melissa recognized it without even stopping in her tracks to see where it came from.
"Melissa!"the girl ran to follow Mel and her friends. Melissa was the student government treasurer. Christine was her auditor. She agreed to speak to her auditor only during official meeting hours, and never casually.
"Melissa, I know I'm not supposed to talk to you at times like this", the girl spoke as she followed them. "But the prom is coming and about the souvenirs we are sponsoring and taking care of...the fountain pen and planner you proposed were expensive...we are already out of budget."
"Let's talk about this later Christine, you know this is not the right time," Melissa murmured, enough for the girl to hear.
"Melissa!"the girl tried again. Melissa finally stopped in her tracks and turned to face the girl.
"But the president said-,"Christine began.
"Well tell the president to get a life and get rid of her prom scare it's making me sick!"Melissa spat.
More students stopped to see what's going on.
"..that we should buy souvenir mugs instead," Christine finished her sentence in a low tone.
The girl flushed and walked off, humiliated.
Last edited by thecamillecalalas on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a touch of madness in every great mind."

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 am
geekchic says...

Hey there! I really liked this part- I can tell that you worked hard to improve from the from the first part. :) I am sorry that I can't provide a more helpful review but I honestly can't find anything wrong with this. Great job and I can't wait to read the next part of this story. :)
-Hope
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 pm
MiRaCLeS says...

Hello!

So, I noticed some grammatical errors you repeated a bit throughout the story.

One of them:
thecamillecalalas wrote:t's 6:30 am. "Shoot!" Mel exclaimed.

You're not starting dialogues in a new line. Here's another one:
thecamillecalalas wrote:She glared at Mel's daring party dress slightly exposed in her opened bag. "Yes Mom." Melissa entered her room.

I think you just forgot to do it in those lines, since you started a new line every other time. I thought I'd just point them out, so it can be fixed, if you're planning to edit it.

Another one:
thecamillecalalas wrote:"I was just.."she was ready to say an alibi.

Two dot ellipses. I saw quite a few of those littered throughout the story. These really irk me. It's either three dots (an elipse) or one dot (a full stop). I dislike anything in between as they don't really mean anything. You do this quite a bit, I'd suggest going back through the story and looking for those two dot ellipses and add an extra dot to make them a complete ellipse. :)

Other than those little grammatical errors, I don't see anything major that needs fixing. There was a balance of dialogue and paragraphs, which kept the pace of the story constant. As I haven't read the first chapter I can't comment on the characterisation, plot or anything like that. Just the more technical and grammatical stuff. But from what I've read, this is quite good. Keep it up! :)

I don't do time.
— Liberty