Big City Girl prologue

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm
View Likes
lovethelifeulive says...

Big City Girl

Spoiler! :
Hi. This is a short story with three parts where a big city New Yorker finds herself in small town North Carolina and falls in love with a small town boy. Please review and if you enjoyed it, press the LIKE button

The City isn't just a maliciously overcrowded place with beeping, over expensive taxis and people who refuse to look you in the eyes and steal the jewelry off your ears.

The City is overall, just that.

The first time I came to New York, a man stopped me on the street. He told me three things.

One, never be too kind. People will take advantage of you.

Two, people are busy, let them go on their way and don't bother them.

Three, New Yorkers are the best friends you will ever have.

So when we New Yorkers are labeled as the best companion, does that have to come with giving them our taxi?

“Stephanie. What kind of garbage is this?” Conner waved the newspaper in the air. “I am telling you it is just a load of crap. What day was this published?”

“It was published yesterday.” I told my assistant.

“I can't believe you wrote this crap. “People will take advantage of you,” what is that? Some sick joke? What if WomansHealth sees it and doesn't hire you? Oh, God Stephanie. Will you take your stupid coffee?”

I shifted my papers and folders under my arm and took my coffee back from his hands. I felt as overcrowded as Manhatten. The wind sprayed my blonde hair over my face and in my mouth. My coffee titled and and left a drop on my newspaper. Conner opened the door of the office and we continued walking.

“I already signed the papers for WomansHealth. They offered me two dollars a word. Concerning yesterdays column, I wrote it in the taxi on the way to the office. I was at a total lack of inspiration. Even if I screwed up on it, I got paid. And I was working on the rat infestation story at the old Chinese restaurant called Chinese Number One.” I squished up my nose to show my displease.

“At least your not stuck with Michelles bed bug story.” Conner said dropping his papers in his cubical as we continued through the office. “The boss made Michelle do a story on her own apartment. And of course she had bed bugs. New York is the number one state for bed bugs.”

“That fat bastard. I don't know why Jared was fired. He was a great boss.” I muttered.

I opened the glass door of the conference room and sighed in discomfort. Sitting at the front of the round wooden table was our Times Magazines new boss, Albert. He was a chubby, grouchy man that hated everyone, except the receptionist.

“Glad you could make it. But we could have started without you.” he snickered.

I reclined my neck to Conner who stood behind me. His hand was clasped on the doorknob but I quickly muttered,

“Conner, contact the Chinese restaurant and find out their closing date. I wanna go back there for some pictures.”

“Miss Horcid. Please sit down, we need to discuss yesterdays column.” Albert seethed.

I felt frustration sear through me. I was a respected writer. Who was he to lecture me on my column. Oh yeah. He's my boss.

“Is that all Stephanie?” Conner twisted the doorknob, pleading to leave. Oh well, just to piss Albert off.

“Oh. Well, you can go to target or hallmark and get a cheap card for my sister. Just write happy birthday, congratulations, something like that.” I turned to Albert and smiled.

“Last time, Stephanie. I'm your assistant. Not your mother.” Conner opened the door and stepped out.

I walked across the room and sat next to anther columnist, Elaine, a sarcastic friend that was much more bearable then the rest of the nuts in this office.

“Miss Horcid.” Albert started. “Your column yesterday was horrifying and I cannot let that one slide.” I gripped the pen in my hand in irritation.

“Sir, I understand. If you would like, I can finish the rat infestation story by tonight and...”

“God, Stephanie. No. That would not help the situation. I don't know why you are still working here. You should have been fired a long time ago.” he yelled.

Oh crap. He wouldn't go that far. Would he?

““Sir, I know can do better. I should have taken more time on it, but this won't happen again. I apologize...” The men and women around the table watched me with no emotion as I shook in my chair.

“Be quiet, Miss Horcid.” he demanded. That bastard interrupted me again! I tapped my long fingernails againsts the table, causing a loud cracking noise.
“Since I would likely be fired for letting you go and I hate seeing your face every God damn day, I want you to take Elaines story.” Elaine sighed in relief as I looked at her in confusion.

What story? The last story I saw Elaine do was the interview with Charlie Sheen. But that was published last week. I should ask Elaine about her stories more often.

“Sir, I have no clue as to what you are speaking of.”

“Of course you don't. Miss Stephanie, I would like you to take Elaines story. Which was to go to the South and write a column everyday for a month and e-mail it to me.” When he finished he raised his eyebrow for a response.

Did he say he wanted me to go to the South? For a month? And do what?

“And do what Sir?” I questioned angrily.

“Write about the difference between the City and the Country. Go to a farm and take pictures of cows, eat the food, they like to fry everything, things like that. It doesn't matter.” he explained as he scribbled with a pen on a peice of paper and handed it over to me.

Milk cows. Try the beer. Go to a rodeo. Interview a bull rider. Ride a horse. Interview Nascar fans. I read on the paper.

“Why for a month?” I pressed. "And the company better be paying for it. I can't even afford new curtains let alone last minute plane tickets."

“Yes, the company has already paid for it. Ask Elaine for the tickets. It doesn't matter for how long you go. You can be gone for a week and e-mail me thirty-one columns. But I doubt you can do it.” He smirked.

“When would you like me to leave Sir?”

“As soon as possible."

“Okay.” I took out my smart phone. I clicked on the American Airline app and asked, “Which state do you want me to go to?”

“North Carolina.” He laughed at my shocked expression as I clicked the Buy button.
Last edited by lovethelifeulive on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If you prick us, shall we not bleed?
If you tickle us, shall we not laugh?
If you poison us, shall we not die?
If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
The Merchants of Venice-Shakespear
Love the life u live,
and live the life u love

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 pm
CrimsonArrow says...

Please, please, please, please finish it! I really enjoyed the beginning and I really want to read the rest of it. It is very well written, and I really liked all the characters (do you say the sounds while spelling out character? Like Ch-are-a-cters?) Anyways, I really enjoyed the story and please finish it. You can really do something with this, and I can't wait!
I'm oxygen potassium!
What's life without adventure?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

Hello,
just so you know this is one of the first stories I've read (technically it's the third) but it takes a lot of willpower for me to read something other than poetry because I am exceptionally lazy.
That being said, I love this piece for what it is. Romance novels and romantic comedies have a special place in my heart; they are the ultimate guilty pleasure.
I like the characters and the premise, but there were a few instances of grammatical sloppiness.
lovethelifeulive wrote:“Sir, I can do better. I apologize. That will not happen again. I should have taken more time on it. I apologize...” The men and women around the table watched me with no emotion as I shook in my chair.

I think this would be better as
lovethelifeulive wrote:“Sir, I know can do better. I should have taken more time on it; but this won't happen again. I apologize...” The men and women around the table watched me with no emotion as I shook in my chair.

It's not incorrect the way it was; it simply doesn't flow as well. Besides that line, your dialogue is pretty nice; it is very true-to-life and flows well.
Also the entire writing sample at the beginning had a lot of grammatical confusions, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional. And somewhere else in the body of your story but now of course I can't find it. I would say read it over carefully and see if you can fix those few remaining errors yourself.
lovethelifeulive wrote:What story? The last story I saw Elaine do was the interview with Charlie Sheen

I smiled when I read this, but I also think you should consider changing the name. Putting someone like this on your novel dates it and if someone reads it years or even several months from now, it won't have the intended effect. If all else fails, just make up a name and say that they're a television star more famous for the insane things they say than for any iota of talent.
lovethelifeulive wrote:“Write about the difference between City and Country. Go to a farm, eat the food. It doesn't matter.”

I know this guy is weird and vague, but maybe you should have him explain a little more, since it is the premise of why your protagonist meets her city boy.
After all that is said and done, great job. It's really interesting so far and I can't wait to meet the man from the city.
Keep up the great work and I hope to see a new installment soon.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:55 pm
Demeter says...

Hi, Empress!

This seems like an interesting story, judging by the description and the "prologue" of the prologue (before all the dialogue starts)! I really liked the first eight "paragraphs" - they definitely grabbed my interest. However, the rest of the story, while the plot continues to be entertaining, is quite poorly executed. For example, you have quite a lot of punctuation issues, especially in dialogue. If you're confused about some of the punctuation rules, there's this article that I once wrote: topic44898.html

I hope you'll find it helpful and easy to apply to your own writing. If you have any questions about it, just let me know! :)

One punctuation thing that I'd specifically like to point out: apostrophes. When you want to express that someone owns something, you do not write "Elaines"; you write "Elaine's". Without an apostrophe, it appears there are many Elaines, which isn't the case.

The dialogue in this sounded pretty stiff. I'd suggest that when you write (dialogue or no dialogue), read out loud what you have written. This will make it easier to detect any weird-sounding stuff. It seems odd that the characters in your story speak very informally at times and very formally at other times. I realise that everyone does this: informal with friends, more formal with elders and people with authority. But still it doesn't feel right for someone to say "Sir, I have no clue as to what you are speaking of". And her boss calls her "brat"? That seems even weirder than anything else.

So, overall, I am interested in reading further, but if I were you, I'd fix all those punctuation things first and then we'll talk.

Also... is this meant to be a short story or a novel? If it's a novel, just say the word and I'll go ahead and move it!

Happy writing!

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Heyaa! :) As requested, I'm here to review this.

This is only a short first part, so I'm not sure how much help I will be, but I'll try my best. If you have any questions or anything like that after I've finished, be sure to ask me because I'll be more than happy to help.

The grammatical side of things seem to have been covered already by your previous reviewers, so I'll try not to repeat them and critique all of that. As a whole, I think this is a neat little beginning and it definitely has lots of potential. I'm interested in seeing what will happen next, so well done for making me feel like that! I was very fond of the beginning of this actually, and that's a great thing because one of the most important parts of a piece of writing, whether it be a newspaper article, a novel, a short story, or anything, is the beginning. A good beginning always hooks the reader, so well done for that!

My main critique for you is that I don't think there's enough background information on your MC. Don't get me wrong, I hardly want her life story or anything, but it kind of feels like we've been thrown into her life without really knowing what's going on. Okay, so she's a journalist of some sorts working in the city. Other than that, we don't really know a great deal about her. We don't really know what she's like as a person, and we don't know much about her life. For example, what you said at the beginning of this gave the impression that the MC isn't originally form New York. Where is she originally from then? Does she live on her own? What does she like? Dislike?

I'm a big fan of characterisation, so this probably bothers me more than it bothers others, but I do think it's something that you could work on. I'd like to feel like I know Stephanie as a person, so when her boss gets angry at her, I can sympathize her. You seem to have a lot of dialogue in here, so maybe you could add some descriptions in-between the dialogue, and use it as a way to show us the MC's character. Basically, I just want to see you expanding a bit on Stephanie's character. Make her more colourful and show us more of her life.

Oh, one nit-pick before I leave!

“As soon as possible, brat.” He laughed.

This line of dialogue seemed rather unrealistic to me. A boss would never call an employee that unless he was begging to get fired. He may say it under his breath, resulting in Stephanie only just being able to hear it, but he wouldn't say it as openly as that, especially not when there are other employees around him.

Overall, a nice job!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 am
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Hello! I'm here as requested, and seeing as you have a number of awesome reviews already, I'll be giving my own opinion without having read theirs. :D

First off, I read the first sentence. And I must say, I love your hook. Now, onward!

'Kay, I read the second sentence, and it confused me. xD I think it's the phrasing of that sentence that sent my brain rereading it all. Or the first sentence. I'm not sure! Something funky happened that made my brain ask, "Did that sentence just contradict the previous one?" But then again, now that I think about it, I understand what you're trying to say. xD Maybe make that a wee bit clear. For instance, say in the second sentence it's moreso rather than equal/"just that". Make sense? D:

Overall though, I love your introduction-part-thing. It's really cool.

Mkay, I just finished the whole thing, and I've a couple thoughts! But I did enjoy it, and I really like where this is going. One of those classic love stories that I just can't get enough of!

Before I begin, I question if it's a prologue to a novel? If it's not and it's actually a short story, then no worries! But if it is, feel free to let me know. I can move it to the novels section, where it'll get the attention it deserves! And also, assuming it is for a novel, I wonder if this is more properly called a chapter one. Unless the chapter one you hvae in mind takes place later in life -- for instance, she's already been in NC for a maybe a month-ish -- then it might do better as a chapter one. Prologues have a natural break between prologue and the rest of the novel.

Anyhoot, the meat of the story!

I'm not sure I liked the dialogue here. Everyone (and I mean everyone) sounded very cranky. :( And they all sounded the same, so it was already hard to follow! In fact, honestly, I thought the MC's assistant was the MC's boss. xD I was very confused for a long time. But as a reader who's been shoved into this cranky mood of crank, it was kind of annoying that everyone was shouting and I couldn't get even a hint as to what happened before this that made everyone so upset with Stephanie. I hope that makes sense. xD It just put me off a bit, and I disliked nearly everyone who spoke except Elaine, and she didn't even speak! But I liked her anyway. (the little cheer when she was released from that trip made me giggle! xD)

I think what comes into play there is the fact that it was rushed. If perhaps you took your time building up to her new assignment for North Carolina, it would make more sense. Plus, you'd get an additional suspense/cliff-hanger in the middle that keeps the reader reading. Right now, we're not so sure why this really matters so much to Stephanie. After all, as far as we know, this is an awesome job opportunity for her!

Finally, I wonder why she's paying for her own ticket. I thought that maybe they'd pay for her ticket? Since it's for work, and the company is the one sending her down. I guess I know a lot of businesses do that, and so I assumed that maybe this one did as well. I could be wrong!

Overall, I do like the idea you have. There were some grammar mistakes, but hopefully an edit can take care of that for you! I hope you keep writing this story 'cause I am interested. I also liked how you kept it moving (even if it was fast) kinda like in movies, how characters are always bustling around in this kind of job. It felt very cool! Great job!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 am
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

Hey love! Here as requested! I'm not reading any of the fantastic reviews before mine (I'd get too overwhelmed!), so I may end up repeating some things, for which I apologize. Please bear with me.

Now, onto the story! I think this is a good set up; kind of reminds me of the old movie Continental Divide. I'm looking forward to the meet up with her love interest; that's always fun. ^_^

Since this is the beginning and therefore your stage to introduce the characters, I'd like to see more characterization. Right now, I don't have the foggiest idea what Stephanie looks like, or what she's really like. Characters are the driving force to your plot, and without a strong lead or two, a potentially great story ends up feeling too flat. The readers don't connect or empathize with the characters, and that means they won't really care what ends up happening, which means that they're more likely to forget the story, or even not finish it. And this is not what you want!

So give us an idea of what the character is like. Let us see her little quirks -- does she eat a doughnut in a funny way? Does she crack her knuckles when she's nervous? Give us a picture of her, subtly, not all at once ("She had blonde hair, blue eyes, was almost six feet tall, and was very thin"); spread the information out naturally in the story ("She nervously brushed a strand of blonde hair out of her eyes. Despite her height, she felt very small by her furious boss").

And that doesn't just go for the main character! Remember, unless you give some depth to the supporting cast, they'll just be names on a page, with nothing to really picture and no connections to make at all. Give us a bit of explanation; why is the boss so upset with her? How do her coworkers treat her? So far, it sounds like a really antagonistic group of people who are all out to get Stephanie. It doesn't sound like a really good work environment, and usually someone should be setting the tone for respectability and professionalism.

I also think Stephanie's writing project should be given a little more structure. Albert's sending her out there, and as much as he might not like her, he's also going to be partly responsible for the story she ends up bringing back, so he should care to make sure that the quality is going to be good and the subject is going to be interesting enough. It seems like he's the self-seeking type who's going to look out for his own well-being, and that would include making sure he doesn't let a lousy story get written up to be published. Just a thought.

Well, that's all I've got to say. I think you've got some really good potential here; just give us a bit more detail, especially about the characters, and that'll help strengthen your story. Let me know when you post the next part! Cheers. :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:35 pm
writerwithacause says...

Hey there!

This is quite an insteresting story. I know you asked for a review, but I see that all things have been pointed out before, and I really don't know what to say except that I'm wondering what will happent next. So far, you did a good job.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 am
cupcake says...

Hello lovethelifeulive! I enjoyed reading your story. It has an interesting plot. There is just one thing I noticed, but it was probably only a typo.
lovethelifeulive wrote:““Sir, I know can do better. I should have taken more time on it, but this won't happen again. I apologize...” The men and women around the table watched me with no emotion as I shook in my chair.

Here you put two speach/dialogue marks instead of one at the beginning.
I don't really have a lot else to say. I think this is a good piece of writing. Keep up the great writing! :D
God gives us our relatives - thank God we can choose our friends.
- Ethel Watts Mumford

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
- Walter Winchell

“I’ll Surprise you, I promise”
-Adam Lambert

Random avatar

Reviews: 19
Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 pm
Echo090 says...

I really found this interesting. Such strong characters, fine dialogues, but still I still need to crticize it. Firstly, possesive forms were not used. That is just against English grammar rules. Next, I really found it weird that it was as if you don't know the meaning of a paragraph. A paragraph conveys one idea from different sentences. The first few paragraphs were really not the best. It should have at least been put into one sentence. And you know what? The introduction of the prologue really is a garbage. I really found it ugly.

“I can't believe you wrote this crap. “People will take advantage of you,” what is that? Some sick joke? What if WomansHealth sees it and doesn't hire you? Oh, God Stephanie. Will you take your stupid coffee?”

This use of quotation marks was not used good. Here's the revised:

“I can't believe you wrote this crap. 'People will take advantage of you,' what is that? Some sick joke? What if WomansHealth sees it and doesn't hire you? Oh, God Stephanie. Will you take your stupid coffee?”
Not really a big thing, but it's a mistake.

I shifted my papers and folders under my arm and took my coffee back from his hands. I felt as overcrowded as Manhatten. The wind sprayed my blonde hair over my face and in my mouth. My coffee titled and and left a drop on my newspaper. Conner opened the door of the office and we continued walking.

You spelled Manhattan wrong. That's all.

Time for the good points. There were good characters and a good dialogue. Overall, I liked it and it kept me interested. But next time you post something, read your mistakes. And remember to edit, it's the second most important thing in writing something.

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller