z

Young Writers Society

I Will Find You by Moonlight

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:15 pm
Kay Kay says...

Prologue:
White fog. All I can see is fog. It’s like the kind that comes in through my bedchamber window from the bay in the mornings at dawn, and adds a slight chill to the room. The mist floats around me, blocking the view of my surroundings. It clings to me tighter than a corset.
I reach out to touch anything that could be hidden from my sight, but my fingers touch only the dampness of the air. I decide to try another approach by taking a step forward into the fog that is chilling me down to the bone through my tight clothing.
The fog starts to clear up as if by magic, allowing me to see a woodsy area. I find myself standing alone in the open area surrounded by gigantic trees that seem to be getting taller by the second. I feel closed in as I look down to find that I am dressed in tight clothing from head to toe in the leather breeches and all. There is the exception of the corset that is clearly visible. The morning sun shines off of the dew in my curly hair, which is a tangled mess about my head …
…And I see him. I see a man slowly backing away with a convincing, warm smile, yet his eyes tell me of his sadness, a heartbreaking sadness. I can feel it coming from him toward me. I know him well, and find that there is sadness within me as well to see him go. He shouts my name one last time before he runs out of sight into the fog. Tears spill over my lashes as I whisper his name. Moments later I begin to scream bloody murder again and again.
I awaken to find myself crying alone in the dark only seconds before the double door entrance to my bedchamber bursts open.

Chapter One:
“Mary Jane, my dear, wake up,” a familiar voice ordered as the familiar touch of my mother’s hand shook me awake, clearing the thoughts of my dream. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, remembering the dream of dancing with a charming man whose face I could not see for he was too tall. It did not seem to make a difference in the dream, for he was the perfect man for my marrying.
The carriage pulled to a stop with the whining of stubborn horses, and I, Mary Jane Pendleton, miserably stepped down to the ground. My mother, Elizabeth Pendleton and I followed my father, Jacob’s lead.
“Do you seriously think this is such a wise decision?” I asked them, showing how depressed I was, speaking out of line by questioning my father motives.
“No, I do not, but I agreed to this the day you were born,” Father answered smoothly. “And I am the governor.”
“But that was before you became the governor.”
“Well, as the governor, it is my duty to carry out my promises to the people.”
“Father, these aren’t people…they are rich, snobby, noblemen. Not that I am saying that about you, Daddy.”
I sighed dejectedly as the governor of island led the way to the front entrance of the manor. We had not arrived for more than a minute and my father was already angry with me. Not that this was anything new. I would be facing the consequences when we arrived back home.
Years before, my father had made a deal with Jonathon Leroux. He had saved my father’s life during a war many years ago. The deal was that on the eve of my nineteenth birthday, I would marry his son, James. The only reason the deal was official is for the reason that this certain family is the second richest on the coast and the richest family was full of females…that of course would not work out so well. Then there is the fact that after seeing me at an annual event, James insisted on it, which disgusts me because he is so much older than I, at least twenty years. I surely did not want to mother his children.
At the end of the year, Father would step down and James would try his best to be elected governor.
As all can see, my life was already planned out for me and I did not get any say on the matter. In my opinion, such a thing as this was nothing but absurd. But like this was anything new. Every single blasted rich woman like myself went through this. Why did I have to be rich?
Not only had I never met my fiancé, but also I knew without the shadow of a doubt that I would never be able to love him. I dreamed of love…not fondness. Love was something I had always desired for as long as I can remember, that was all I wanted in my future. I had a feeling that I would, but now that I knew that my future was already planned for me…well, that would never be possible. Unless, my fiancé died, that is not a bad idea.
Know anyone who kills for free? This is nonsense.
I had always looked forward to the adventure of finding love, but being married to a stranger would never fulfill that. Again I say it, why do I have to be rich? Like leaving the mansion behind and living with a normal man would be better than the boring life in the mansion with a complete stranger. But I never considered complaining for the reason that I would disappoint my parents, which was something I did not want. They had been so good to me. But I am already disappointing…oh well.
My thought ended when the door swung open, revealing one of the many servants that I knew the Leroux’s had. The young girls eyes grew wide with surprise. It was the normal expression that the normal people had on their faces every time we appeared in public. For my parents were rich and I was a natural beauty, the beauty of the island.
“We are here to acquire a visit with Sir Jonathon Leroux,” Jacob stated, placing a hand against my back.
“Come in,” she told us before heading down the hall yelling, “Lord Leroux, Lord Leroux!”
Mother and I sighed and followed the king inside.
Do you not just love my nickname for him? My mother was not too excited about me marrying a complete stranger either. She had tried to talk him out of the deal, but once my father’s mind was made up…well, there was no changing it. Wild horses couldn’t stop him. Even though my parents were married by an arranged marriage. I do not think the idea of an arranged marriage made anyone in my family very happy. My parents proved that. They never agreed on anything.
Moments later, I found myself in a library surrounded by servants watching me. While my parents were talking to James’s parents, I had wondered off.
Looking around I found that the library was filled with paintings, candles that were gleaming off my blond curls, and bookshelves. But in the center of the room was a sitting area. That was where I found a young man sitting comfortably with a thick, black, book in his hands.
I was about to address him when suddenly, a man’s voice said, “Ah! Here you are Mary Jane…or should I call you Miss Pendleton?”
The young man glanced up at me, thinking that he was alone. It was as though he could not remove his eyes from gazing across the room at me. His gaze held mine until Jonathon Leroux approached my side.
“Mary Jane is fine,” I answered, looking into the man’s eyes.
“I see that you have met my nephew, Matthew Bromley,” he commented with a very odd sounding tone. It was like disappointment.
Strange.
“Indeed.” And he is gorgeous I finished silently. We had met. True. But by the exchange of looks and not words.
James’s father linked my arm with his own, saying, “James cannot wait to make your acquaintance.”
With that said, he began pulling me away. The young man and myself did not take our eyes off each other until I had been led out of the room. He had sat with his legs crossed, with the black book in his lap. Matthew’s brown hair was pulled back into the latest fashion with a black ribbon and his dark, blue eyes twinkled with excitement. It were as though we had just had a moment…both of us knew what the other thought.
As my parents came into view, I silently hoped that I would get to see that handsome devil again.
James was not the handsome man that everyone claimed he was. He looked more feminine if anything. When he kissed the top of my hand in greeting, the only thing that ran through my mind was how the heck did such a good-looking man have such a girly son?
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 pm
falling in love says...

I like it a lot. I like how you add her thoughts in and how she talks to the reader. I think that's really cool. Anyways, the end was funny. Can't wait to read more.
"This was my first bus ride."
----Ardeth Bay from the Mummy Returns

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:26 pm
Emerson says...

Moments later I begin to scream bloody murder again and again.
screaming "bloody murder" is a cliched description. You could just say she began to scream (and you wouldn't even have to say again and again).

” a familiar voice ordered as the familiar touch of my mother’s hand shook me awake, clearing the thoughts of my dream.
try not to use the word familiar twice, you should change the sentence.

for he was the perfect man for my marrying.
for me to marry.

isn't Jacob her father? She would call him "father" rather than Jacob, I think...

Even though my parents were married by an arranged marriage.
This sentence doesn't really go anywhere...

“Indeed.” And he is gorgeous I finished silently.
I get what you are saying here, but its not so obvious.

It's really hard to follow your characters/dialog. I can't tell who is who...

The story itself is good, but needs a bit of improvement. You do a lot of telling, a lot, a lot, a lot. More than needed. Also, this is set in the...18th century I assume? Some of your main characters thoughts don't follow that, they sound too modern.

Your main character seems flat. She really wants love, she disagrees with her parents, she's a natural beauty...sounds like a lot of characters out there, lol.

I'm not sure exactly how you could fix your story up, it just sort of...rambles on. Its GOOD, its interesting, but the writing itself needs some plumping up. Try reading something that reminds you of your story (I think of pride and prejudice, though honestly I've never read it!) and take tips from reading. I hoped I helped, I know my advice was very half spoken!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:33 am
Snoink says...

YAY! I remember this story! I think I might have critiqued it? It's good to see you edit it! :D

Okay, new comments! First of all, take out the prologue. It's not that it is completely bad, but it just isn't catchy. What is catchy (to me anyway) is the conflict between Mary Jane and her parents.

A better critique...?

“Mary Jane, my dear, wake up,” a familiar voice ordered as the familiar touch of my mother’s hand shook me awake, clearing the thoughts of my dream. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, remembering the dream of dancing with a charming man whose face I could not see for he was too tall. It did not seem to make a difference in the dream, for he was the perfect man for my marrying.

As I said before, the prologue isn't really catchy. Nor is this part. See if you can add it later in the story. :D The next sentence is a better introduction...

The carriage pulled to a stop with the whining of stubborn horses, and I, Mary Jane Pendleton, miserably stepped down to the ground.

...because it introduces Mary Jane with stubborn horses, giving her the appearance of being stubborn as well.

My mother, Elizabeth Pendleton and I followed my father, Jacob’s lead.

You don't have to tell use her father's name yet... you might just want to delete "Jacob's lead."

“Do you seriously think this is such a wise decision?” I asked them, showing how depressed I was, speaking out of line by questioning my father motives.[/quote]

Get rid of "seriously" since that sound much too modern. Besides, you want to streamline dialogue. ;) The "showing how depressed I was, speaking out of line by question my father motives" is not good either... it's much too wordy and it tells the reader something you can easily show. Like...

"Do you think this is really a good idea?" I said, kicking a pebble at my father's heels.

Or something like that. You can show her dissatisfaction by other means though. ;)

“No, I do not, but I agreed to this the day you were born,” Father answered smoothly. “And I am the governor."
“But that was before you became the governor.”
“Well, as the governor, it is my duty to carry out my promises to the people.”

I think it would be better to get rid of Mary Jane's dialogue and combine the other two. Like so:

“No, I do not, but I agreed to this the day you were born,” Father answered smoothly. “And, as the governor, it is my duty to carry out my promises to the people.”

It just sounds a little more realistic to me. ^_^

“Father, these aren’t people…they are rich, snobby, noblemen. Not that I am saying that about you, Daddy.”

I would change the punctuation around. Like:

Father! These aren't people. They are rich, snobby, nobleman!"

To further emphasize this dialogue, I would add something about how nasty they are. Like:

Father! These aren't people. They are rich, snobby, nobleman who spend their free time kissing each other's asses!"

...maybe a little too much? Oh well, but you can have fun with the insult. ;) Continuing on!

Father! These aren't people. They are rich, snobby, nobleman who spend their free time kissing each other's asses! Not that I am saying that about you, Daddy," I added quickly.

So it's looking maybe a little more balanced?

Let's change word choice... for one, it should be "noblemen" and for another, I don't like the word "snobby." Maybe "snotty?"

Father! These aren't people. They are rich, snotty noblemen who spend their free time kissing each other's asses! Not that I am saying that about you, Daddy," I added quickly.

And finally... we need character reaction from the father! :D

Father! These aren't people. They are rich, snotty noblemen who spend their free time kissing each other's asses! Not that I am saying that about you, Daddy," I added quickly.

He turned around and glared at me.

I sighed dejectedly as the governor of island led the way to the front entrance of the manor.

Hmm... I think it needs to be slimmed down a bit. Maybe "I sighed and followed Father to the front entrance of the manor."

Maybe?

We had not arrived for more than a minute and my father was already angry with me. Not that this was anything new. I would be facing the consequences when we arrived back home.

Years before, my father had made a deal with Jonathon Leroux. He had saved my father’s life during a war many years ago. The deal was that on the eve of my nineteenth birthday, I would marry his son, James. The only reason the deal was official is for the reason that this certain family is the second richest on the coast and the richest family was full of females…that of course would not work out so well. Then there is the fact that after seeing me at an annual event, James insisted on it, which disgusts me because he is so much older than I, at least twenty years. I surely did not want to mother his children.

I think this description can be put in the narrative more so it has more of a bouncy feeling. Right now, it's coming out pretty forced like, "This is the background information you need to know." The problem with that is we don't really care what the information behind it is -- we only care about her reaction to it. So slim this down, trim off the fat. A little mystery never hurt anyone. ;)

At the end of the year, Father would step down and James would try his best to be elected governor.

I don't know... I was doing this in one of my stories. Instead of describing the conflict, I decided that the narrative was a lot more necessary than the conflict, so I abbreviated the conflict and drew out the narrative. And it sucked. I think this sentence is representative of it all. Don't stress out the narrative... abbreviate this and make the conflict more intense.

As all can see, my life was already planned out for me and I did not get any say on the matter. In my opinion, such a thing as this was nothing but absurd. But like this was anything new. Every single blasted rich woman like myself went through this. Why did I have to be rich?

Come on... there has to be something about being rich that she likes. This is an angsty girl. Maybe you want her to be this way so you can slam her down, but she seems awfully spoiled to me.

Not only had I never met my fiancé, but also I knew without the shadow of a doubt that I would never be able to love him. I dreamed of love…not fondness. Love was something I had always desired for as long as I can remember, that was all I wanted in my future. I had a feeling that I would, but now that I knew that my future was already planned for me…well, that would never be possible. Unless, my fiancé died, that is not a bad idea.
Know anyone who kills for free? This is nonsense.

Shadow of a doubt is a cliché. Kill it. And with that, describe what love, to her, is. You'll find the definition varying.

I had always looked forward to the adventure of finding love, but being married to a stranger would never fulfill that. Again I say it, why do I have to be rich? Like leaving the mansion behind and living with a normal man would be better than the boring life in the mansion with a complete stranger. But I never considered complaining for the reason that I would disappoint my parents, which was something I did not want. They had been so good to me. But I am already disappointing…oh well.

Hahaha... some people would think that it is adventure enough of finding love with a stranger. ;) And why should she want to please her parents? They don't sound like they've been good to her. She's complained about them the whole time.

Ugh... I've been working on this critique for a while now, hehe.

Okay, notes.

1) Don't use clichés or silly words in your stories. That would include "heck." ;)

2) Remember: hate all the time is bad. To give us a truly sympathetic character, we actually have to like her. And, in order for us to like her, we have to know what she likes.

With that said, I like the main tone of the piece and the premise. Yes, some might call it cliched, but I think you have a very enthusiastic voice (minus cliches... ;)) and I like what you've done with it.

Happy editing! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs