z

Young Writers Society

Somewhere Only We Know

Reviews: 4
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:28 am
speciabilitator says...

Chapter One

I closed my eyes and rubbed them hard. I had to stop thinking about him. I had to just let him go.
I got up and walked, I just walked. My hands were deep in my pockets, my head bent down. I wanted him with me, his arm around me, his mouth close to my ear as he whispered to me that he loved me. I wanted us to be dancing in the moonlight, laughing uproariously and waking up the people in the apartments nearby. I wanted us to come back to our apartment and have red wine and then make love.
The moonlight spilled over me. It was cold. It wouldn’t be as cold if he was here, enveloping me in his perfectly shaped arms, holding me closely to him.
I sat on a park bench and leaned my head back, the cold metal touching my neck.
It was dangerous to be out alone, at this time of night, in a deserted park.
I let my eyes close as I imagined us together on this park bench, his warm arm replacing the coldness on my neck, his lips touching my hair.
I felt his hand on mine. We held each other for a moment. Then he whispered, “I’m sorry.”
I told him that I didn’t forgive him, that I couldn’t. “You left me,” I said aloud. “You left me and moved on.”
I reached for him and opened my eyes. He was gone. There was no sweet voice in my ear, there was no warm hand on mine. He was not there, and nor would he ever be.

I must have fallen asleep, all alone in the park on that God-forsaken park bench.
When I woke up, it was cold, and I was just as wet as the bench was from the overnight dew. The sun had already risen, and people were enjoying themselves in the park.
When I got up, my limbs ached to remind me of the stupidity in sleeping on a park bench. I stretched, wincing as I did so. I would certainly never sleep on a bench again.
I got up and started walking. My hair was disheveled, my apparel sodden, and I must have looked like a dead woman, but no one asked me anything, and I contently ignored them.
People were already walking their dogs, jogging, children playing with their parents or among themselves. I stopped to gaze at some children having a small picnic for a moment. When they saw me, they got up and ran for their parents. I combed my fingers through my hair to try and neaten my appearance, then moved on.
I still didn’t want to return to our—my—apartment. I hadn’t been there since the funeral, and I was still in my black clothing. During those two days--from the day I had gotten the dreaded call to the day of the funeral--I had cried as much as I ever had in my life.
I had to clean myself up. My apartment was only a short distance from here. I hurried to it, abandoning the park I had always loved and nearly running down the sidewalk.
I burst into my apartment ten minutes later. Once in the doorway, I froze, fear prickling on my skin. My hand was still on the doorknob. I could have slammed it and gone back to the park.
I forced myself to step inside, and I slammed the door very firmly behind me. The sound reverberated throughout the room. I shuddered.
It seemed so empty without him. Whenever I went out alone and came back, he had always been here, waiting for me with open arms and a kiss.
I looked around. All his things were gone, making the apartment seem impossibly bare, the stark white of the walls blinding me. I dropped my keys on the coffee table that sat in the middle of the small room and went down the small hall to our—my—room.
I hesitated as well when almost inside the room. There was a double bed, blankets still rumpled and all over the place from a few days before. There was the phone, lying on the floor from after the time I had gotten the call.
So they had come to take his things and hadn’t neatened anything else.
I slowly peeled off my wet clothes and tossed them in the garbage. I never wanted to use them again.
I went into the bathroom branching off from the bedroom. They had left his razor, the one he used every morning as I showered.
I closed the door to the bathroom and went into the shower, pulling the curtain shut. I turned on the water. It was cold.
I leaned against the wall and cried.

I stepped out of the shower half an hour later, looking like a prune. When I glanced at myself in the mirror, my eyes looked tired and dull. I brushed my teeth slowly, watching his razor as though he would suddenly come in, pick it up, and start shaving as he talked about what he was planning to do that day.
Though it was a Monday, I did not want to go to work. I did not want to return to the dreadful routine of life, even though this routine was disrupted because of him. I did not want sympathy. I did not want Cynthia to come up to me, a sad look on her face as she told me she was sorry.
I dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and found the sweater he used whenever the heating broke down in the winter.
I pulled it on over my head and slipped my feet into sneakers. Today, just for today, I would go and enjoy my life without work.

((I kept on editing it and editing the edition, and I know I should have more in a first chapter, but I'm not. For the rest of the story though, I think the chapters will be MUCH longer.))

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:17 am
Wiggy says...

I liked this a lot! Got to run, but it's really good so far! Hope to hear more of it...
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 pm
Alainna says...

This was great, very emotive. I like your style of writing.

I can't wait for chapter 2....
Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:07 pm
Foreseer says...

Well, I really like this. It displays emotion, and everything really well. Props for that! Maybe if there could be a space in between paragraphs, but hey it's good. Can't wait to see chapter 2.

*Foreseer*
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:17 pm
mimi06 says...

hey that was real good! cant wait for the second chapter, please do private message me and let me know when you post it as i dont always visit this site
**God bless yar lame soul**

Reviews: 4
Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am
speciabilitator says...

Sorry I haven't added another chapter, I'm still working on it...I was on a short trip and have been busy with school and stuff. I will let you know when I update, however!
Thanks for the other comments, by the way!

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:58 pm
Sachiko says...

This story was very well written. I hope that I can sort through all of the messages on this website and find chapter two!
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:22 pm
dead_poet says...

Well written. I enjoyed reading it and hope there will be more to read. Word of advice. Space out the paragraphs so that it will be easy for others to read.
"Baby, I just spilled lemonade on my lap but it looks like I peed! Toby stop licking me!"
---Anthony.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:45 am
alleycat13 says...

First, format. Please space out your paragraphs so my eyes don't burn.

Second, your sentence structure is fine, but every single one is "I did..." "It was...". Mix it up. Invert your sentences. Give your readers some variety.

Next, I found the pacing was too quick. It was a shocker when you wrote about the funeral, but then you didn't develop it. You should have elaborated at least a little--like a flashback, moment, something.

I burst into my apartment ten minutes later. Once in the doorway, I froze, fear prickling on my skin. My hand was still on the doorknob. I could have slammed it and gone back to the park.

Why is she running? If she dreads going back to the apartment, if she's conscious of looking unkept, why is she running? Please, clarify this.

I liked the razor part. Little things like that give reality to a story.

I really would have liked more imagery in this story. It seems to all be about this one girl, and it should be, but its all me-me-me. Talk about her environment, give me a memory to help me understand what she has lost.

Well, that's harsher than the other replies you've gotten, but I hope it will help you get better.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:10 pm
Someguy says...

I think it was great. It felt like you were there with her. It was like feeling her pain she felt. How much she loved him. Very good. Can't wait for the next chapter. :)
Look at my big shiny shell...

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I liked this, but what I will say is that some of it tended to be structured like a list and it didn't really flow all to well.

I did enjoy the concept though and will undoubtably read the next chapter.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:36 am
Areida says...

Hi there! Just leaving a note for myself that I wanted to come back and take a closer look at this one, and leave you a comment. It would be extremely helpful though, to all of the critiquers, if you could go ahead and put full spaces in between each paragraph. Otherwise those fat chunks of words make my poor head spin. :P

I shall return! *superhero pose*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle