z

Young Writers Society

Rushing Water

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:33 am
Pawprint says...

I was moving. Far away. Away from my friends and especially away from my boyfriend, Ryan. I did not cry, nor did show my anger, all I did was seem to die of spirit. One foot after another, I roamed the house slowly, saying goodbye to everything that soon will belong to a stranger.

"Ellie! Are you done getting ready? We have to be out of this house in twenty minutes!" shouted my mother for the third time, waking me up again. I groaned and pulled the covers over my head.

"Ellie! I cannot believe you are still in bed!" exclaimed my mother as I heard here stomping onto my room. Suddenly, I was staring up at my mother's red face.

"Get out of the bed now!" demanded my mother harshly. I just curled up into a little ball, trying to keep warm now the covers were gone.

"Stop acting like a baby. You're fourteen for heaven's sake!"

I continued to ignore her. I kept my eyes closed and realized thet it was suddenly quiet. I could not help taking a peek. My mother was folding my covers while shaking her head in disappointment.

"Your choice," she said, not looking at me as she pushed me off the bed.

"Ow!" I yelled unnecessarily as I hit the carpeted floor. My mother just pulled the sheets off, rolled it into a ball and hurried out and down the stairs.

I pushed myself into a sitting position and stared at my empty room. The bed, my bed was suppose to stay, but I tried to convince my mom in taking it. It was no use. I stood up, put on my blue slippers and walked out from my room, never to be in it again.

If you want to make something "better", let me know.

Also, just to let you know, this chapter is suppose to be kind of short.
Last edited by Pawprint on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit my blog anytime!
weblog.php?w=871

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:41 am
BigBadBear says...

Hm... very interesting. There are just some minor things that you need to change:

1. Stop acting like a baby. You're fourteen for heavens sake!"

Great way of showing Ellie's age. But heavens is supposed to be heaven's.

2. it was suddenly quiet.It could not help

Space between the sentences.

Other than those, this is interesting, and I want to see where this is headed. And, if you can, try to make your chapters longer. There isn't much we can critique if you don't. If not, then combine chapters.

Well, good job!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:11 am
Chaotic Romance says...

Well, that was an interesting start... though it was kind of short for a first chapter

I liked the action between Ellie and her mother. it was funny and didn't seem to be too unrealistic. It seemed to flow really well...

Overall, I like what you have so far... I just think you need to add more and flush it out a bit more to make it a tad bit longer. Other than that, this was a good, I look forward to reading the next chapter(s)!

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 am
sokool15 says...

Yes, it really needs to be longer...right now I don't believe it's even one page. I've read books with very short chapters, but they're always at least more than one page. And I really think you could tap into the main characters emotions and feelings and thoughts more, to expand it and make it more interesting, yet adding to your word count at the same time!

One thing I thought was confusing and a little awkward:

I was moving. Simply, I just was.

Er...I was moving. Simply I just was? How can you get more simple than "i was moving"? Also, maybe try to specify more than 'I was moving' because at first I thought you were talking about lifting your arm, or walking or something.

Also, the entire first paragraph could be expanded into about four or five different paragraphs. You've got a lot of emotions and stuff to work with and expand, there! Take advantage of it!

Cheers. Pray, keep posting on this.

~MademoiselleKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor