z

Young Writers Society

A Chance For Hearts (Thoroughly Revised)

Reviews: 2
Mon May 30, 2005 12:58 am
Lakija X says...

(I hope that I edited, went through, and fixed the story accordingly. n.n)

My high school was all the excitement I had back then: Woodbrooke. A quiet little learning facility in a quaint little town of the same name. Population: who really cares?

Me? I was just a cute, dark girl back then, with very long hair, one who was known throughout the school as the Most-Likely-To-Succeed girl. You know the type. The one who was correcting people's English and being excused from gym class because of "business"? Yeah, that was me.

I was just 17 when I witnessed a classic high school love story that I shall carry with me to my grave...

I remember the day before it all started like a dream. It had been a Friday when I decided to propose a sleepover with my friends. There were quite a few of them, girls and boys alike. My boyfriend, Courtney, would host it at his very large house. Courtney, having a name that several girls also owned, was very popular in school, seeing as how he had his finger in absolutely every extracurricular activity possible.

This was why I was sitting in his entertainment room, playing games that most girls fall asleep on. We were playing football on the PS2. Madden '05 to be precise. We never could quite commit to the Xbox, although it was popular with many others. We remained loyal to Sony no matter what.

"Aw! this game really sucks!" Tonou Moriitsu grunted. We call him Tony. His face always had a playful grin on it. He had styled silky black hair then, and Asian eyes that were surprisingly blue. He and I were the first ones to arrive although everyone else came soon after us.

"At least I don't suck. I'm winning," I replied. "You're just mad because you don't know a first down line from a line of scrimmage," I added.
"Hey, calm down, and show me you can make a touchdown," Tony suggested.

"I don't get it... what's a touchdown?" my friend Sandra Mitchell asked, gazing at a magazine featuring an article on Orlando Bloom. She's not so sports-informed, even today. She had the quiet luxury of lazing on the couch reading about stars, because she happens to be Courtney's sister.

"It's when you get to the other side of the field. you know? The one with the pretty picture on it?" Tony pointed out, staring at the screen.

"Alright Tony? Watch it!" Sandra warned. She flashed her black eyes at him, which were glaring under thick brown, styled mind you, bangs. However, there was a smile on her smooth, ivory face.

I heard the door open and close above my head, for the room I was in was in the basement.

"Pause the game and no cheating," I told Tony. He grumbled, looking up at me.
"Who's that? At the door?" he asked me, still a little angry for having to stop the game.
"Probably Kai. He enjoys arriving late..." I moaned.

Sure enough, Kai Lasalle, another friend, miraculously, appeared at the top of the stairs. At least, his feet appeared first. On them were very nice, very new gym shoes that I would have liked to sell... Sandra, obviously smelling fashion walking her way, looked up too.

"Nice kicks Kai!" she exclaimed. " Sandra shifted herself, so she could better see Kai.

He walked down the stairs peering about. He looked embarrassed as we all stared at him.
"Thanks Sandy... sorry I'm late!" he said. I noted the nickname he'd just created. I wondered if it would stick.
Sandra smiled at her new nickname.

Kai took a seat next to me.

He started to look at the screen.
"You guys know that I could kill you in Madden," Kai boasted.
'Not on your life," I replied. "But you're more than welcome at beating Tony!"
"Hey!" Tony exclaimed."I can play this game just as good as you two... I just happen to be better suited for fighting games... which I will beat you both in later," Tony warned.

I noticed Sandra peering over her magazine a few times, looking at Kai. She'd only known him for a few weeks, seeing as how she'd just come to Woodbrooke High (Sandra used to go to a private school, while Courtney went to a public one. Different strokes I guess).

I didn't really blame Sandra for looking at Kai in such a way. After all, he was quite attractive. He had white-blond hair, which is still shoulder length these days. Since then, he has dyed it several shades of brown.

His eyes are the color of the sea. His face is always clever and with a grin. He has pretty teeth. It is very overwhelming to sit next to something like that. And obviously, it was a little distracting for Sandra to sit there.

"So Jan? Who are you going to the prom with?" Kai asked. Good old prom. I used to fantasize about it when I was little. My dreams were materializing.

"I'm going with Courtney. We're going out, remember?" I said, a little shakily. Why did he ask? Did he want to go with me? I became a little flustered. Kai knew that Courtney and I were a couple. After all, Kai was my very best friends, and still strong as ever.
"Speaking of prom... my mom was nice enough to rent us all a nice car to go in, and she and your mom are planning on hosting a party for the graduates..." I told Kai, getting off the subject of "dates".

Kai gave me a hug, almost causing me to miss an interception.

"Aw CRAP!" Tony yelled. I made my wide-receiver run the full length of the field making a touchdown.

"Coast to coast baby!!! Thanks Kai. You helped me to get a touchdown," I said.

Kai grinned, still embracing me. However... I began to get a little uncomfortable. I'm pretty outgoing, so I decided to break the ice by grabbing a pillow and smacking Kai on the head.

Soon, the basement was engulfed in a steel-cage pillow match. Funny how some things grow into bigger things. Even "Sandy" decided to join in. Luckily, her mom buys cotton pillows, not feather ones. Smart huh?

What seemed like ten minutes later ( as you can imagine, it's quite hard to gaze at your watch while you're being hit with pillows), I heard the jangling of car keys somewhere above me. Since I was being smothered underneath Sandra, Kai, and five pillows, I was the only one who couldn't look to see who was there.

"Hey you guys? I left for ten minutes and this is what I find? I'm thoroughly ashamed of you youngsters!" boomed a voice. I strained to hear better from below the carnage.

"Hey Courtney!" everyone said in unison. But me of course.
"What's happening up there! Get off!" I exclaimed.
"Jan? Oh! Sorry, we're getting off."

I felt the pillows from on top of me being lifted. Thank goodness.

"Well, I brought something for us to do... that's less violent," Courtney said, laughing in his soft voice. Courtney sat on the stairs, swirling his keys in his hand. His bright chocolate eyes shone from underneath his side-swept bang. His deep brown skin was spotless, except for a scar on his cheek from a while ago.

"Did you get the movie?" I asked. Sandra stood up, stretching her arms. Kai went next, helping me up too. I was about to walk to the DVD player, but I found that my hair was stuck in one of Kai's many earrings, three on one ear. As I mentioned, I happened to have had long hair back then, so I hadn't even noticed... till I was yanked backward that is. While we untangled my hair, Courtney walked over to the DVD player himself.

"Yeah. A copy of the Amytiville Horror, and my copy of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre... Wanna watch?" he asked.

"Sure... I guess. But why do you always have to pick those gory movies?" Sandra asked, rolling her eyes.
Courtney frowned. "Because you would have picked some romance about middle-aged people or something," he replied, looking at her. Siblings...

-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`

And that was one of the only scenes that made sense in the weeks that followed. Really, it was the last ordinary day we had as friends. Because a group with three boys and two girls is bound to have some sorts of problems.

The next time we saw each other, jealousy and angered flared up while Courtney and I stood motionless... outside of this barrier that stood between us and them. And a fierce battle was emerging on their side... and it couldn't and wouldn't be stopped... till it was too late...

(Hope you like this chapter better than the first. The first was terrible. I wouldn't be too surprised if this one was too. I'll get it one day! n.n)

-Lakija X
The difference between the right word and a similar word, is like the difference between lightening and a lightening bug.

---Author... I forget! ^^;;

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:10 am
Hope says...

I like it, good work. You really need to describe some more about Kai, well actually you should describe about everything. It's improved alot. I can't wait to read more.
Hope

Embrace the total dork in yourself, and enjoy it, because well... Life is to short to be cool.

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson