z

Young Writers Society

Unbound

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

This is a short story of mine that I wrote for a school magazine. I hope you like it! (I may write a sequel to this)

Unbound
H. C. Smith

"A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea." -Honore de Balzac

Kitra Cross fumbled with her basket of groceries. It was rare to find sufficient produce this time of year in the markets of the seaside town of Roseview. Her basket was full of potatoes, some ears of corn, tomatoes, apples, and pears. Occasionally, the market supplied peaches, which were Kitra’s utmost delight. Unluckily, peaches were rare. Too rare.
The market was practically the only place where one could meet another fellow human being. Nonetheless, the people of Roseview were all guarded, lonely, and distrustful.
There were not many people who inhabited the town. It was virtually unheard of, excluding the few towns that traded with it. Roseview was a cold, gloomy town nestled at the foot of a barren, jagged bundle of mountains and cliffs, as well as being severed from any other civilization by the immense, unforgiving Blacker Lake—which was, in truth, a sea.
People quietly conversed with one another while sifting through the available products and goods and passing by the displays of produce. Women wore black gowns and capes and men sported dark coats, boots, and hats. They were like shadows; dark, uninterested, indifferent. Mischievous children ran about the market. The sound of their laughter was unfamiliar to Kitra.
Kitra was weaving through small groups of people picking through baskets and carts of produce when she spotted a stand outside the butcher selling pounds of fresh filleted fish. She thought on it and decided to purchase a pound.

Ike Eli was drowning in a sea of people. He had never realized how many souls could fit in such a small place. He, and the other fishermen, had just finished unpacking all of the fish that morning from the boats. He had never been so busy in his life. Ike hated being busy.
Ike preferred the water over land. He very much enjoyed being out on the sea, where he had no concern for anything but the water. He was free on the water. Ike could be barefoot and could enjoy the feeling of the deck beneath his toes. He could sunbathe and feel the burn of the afternoon on his bare shoulders. He could taste the salt in the air. He could feel the icy water on his skin and in his bones. Ike could be alive!
But, he was now wandering amongst the people of the land, looking through all of the produce of the market. His hands, now shoved in his coat pockets, were webbed with ghastly cuts and wounds from unsuccessfully attempting to fillet about seventy fish before he had to give up the task.
Ike pulled a peach out of his pocket that he had snatched from the market of Arbormere, a town on the other side of Blacker Lake. He simply looked at the fruit in his fingers. It was like a miniature sun in his hands. He needed the sun. The gloominess of the day was getting to him, he thought.
His toes were sore in his restricting leather boots. His back was irritated under his shirt and vest. He was miserable and prayed to God to give him the strength to bear the prison of those clothes for a few more hours. When he decided that there was nothing in the market that he desired to purchase, he turned back around to return to the fishermen’s stand.

Kitra approached the stand to look at the selection. The stand was selling bundles of clams and oysters, as well. A couple of fishermen were wrapping up packages of fish to purchasers as they reaped in coins. A bearded man that smelled of tobacco greeted Kitra with a smile.
“Good afternoon, miss.” The fisherman said. “What are you looking for?”
“I would like to purchase a pound of fish, sir.” She said and handed him a few silver coins. He took the coins in his tough hands and then asked one of the other fishermen to his left to wrap another pound of fish.
When Kitra received her fish, she thanked the fishermen and whirled around from the stand when she smashed her skull into a man’s face.
She gasped and stumbled backward, but the man caught her arm before she could fall. Kitra was breathless. “I—I’m so sorry, sir.” She stammered and then lifted her eyes to see with whom she had unfortunately collided.
Her eyes fell upon a young man, perhaps only a year older than herself. The man was wearing a coat, vest, slacks, and leather boots laced up to his shins. His clothes smelled of the sea and it was comforting to her. His long brown hair was pulled back with a ribbon, but loose strands still fell across his face. The man’s kind, remarkable eyes were gray like the sea. His cheeks were lightly sun-kissed and stubble softened the hard lines of his muscular face and jaw.
Kitra found herself in a daze.

Ike was dizzy. Pain stretched across his chin and cheek. The girl he had collided with swayed backward and he quickly reached out and clutched her arm to keep her standing.
“I—I’m so sorry.” He heard her gasp.
And then his eyes met hers.
Ike was still and silent. It was as if he was on the water again, when all of his concern, all of his care and attention was on the waves. And this girl, this beautiful girl, was the bewitching sea who had captured him. This girl before him had rendered him speechless. Ike was faint with the awe this striking maiden had brought upon him.
Her wide eyes were of sapphire and bronze. Her hair was dark and it rolled down her shoulders in shimmering loose curls. Her skin was fair and white like ivory. Her beautiful lips were parted in gracious breathlessness and her cheeks flared with color. Her slender form was draped with a long black gown that swept about her in the frigid wind.
“Miss, I—apologize. I was—not looking where I was going...” Ike blurted. His words seemingly jumbled together at the tip of his tongue.
Her hand was pressed to the side of her head. “I’m alright, sir. Are you okay?”
Ike nodded and said, “Fine.” He was now unsure of what to do. Ike and the girl stood facing the other, each suffering through the awkwardly silent space between them.
The girl nodded, turned to her right, and began to walk away. Ike was suddenly hysterical. This woman who had captured his heart was leaving him! His tongue was in knots, his muscles were fluttering under his skin with thrill. An icy jolt raced up his spine. What if he never saw this girl again?
Her hair was rippling behind her. Her dark skirts swept across the stones of the ground. The distance that grew between Ike and the maiden brought him physical pain. It was like an unquenchable burning. She was the sea. The distance between them was the blistering fire.
Was she out of reach?
Ike finally spoke. “Wait.” It was a whisper. She did not stop. “Wait!” He called after her again.
The girl stopped.

Kitra turned to face the man who had called to her. A million thoughts were rushing through her mind, but only one stood out to her.
She wanted to go to him.
Kitra’s eyes searched his beautiful face for why she felt that way. His lips shuddered, as if trying to expel something from them.
Finally, he managed to speak. “What is your name, miss?” He asked in a sincere voice. A voice hungry for truth.
Her lips began to curl into an unavoidable smile. “Kitra. I’m Kitra Cross.” She found her name in his glimmering eyes. It settled there, where it was like cool wine to quench an undeniable thirst, she could see.
Then, there it was. Kitra could feel it on her tongue. It was a burning question that seared her mouth and she knew at once to unleash it. “What is your name, sir?”
He was very quick to answer. “Ike Eli, dearest Kitra.”
It came with a jolting shock to Kitra, like electricity. It was then she realized how much she had been craving to hear the name of this fisherman. Ike. It went into her like living breath. “Ike.” She whispered and her heart ignited into an inferno.
Kitra studied Ike in his insecurity. He was restless and uneasy. Ike bit his bottom lip and then approached Kitra. The scent of the sea was sweet and strong on his clothes. She had a sudden urge to grab his arm, to take his fingers in hers. Her arm ached where he had grabbed her. She wanted to feel his touch again.
Ike must have read her mind because he took his long fingers and wrapped them in hers. It felt righteous to Kitra, like it was always supposed to be that way. Ike and Kitra.
His breath was sweet to Kitra and reminded her of summer. “I know I’ve only just met you,” Ike began, “but I would like you to have this.” He held out his hand and in it was a golden peach. Kitra gasped. “It’s not much, but I…”
Kitra looked up at him and took the peach. “Peaches are my favorite, Ike.”
He chuckled and the sound made her heart flutter. “It must be my lucky day, then, lovely Kitra.”
“It must be.” She breathed.
Then, abruptly, Ike was pushed away from her as a shadowy swarm of men and women severed their connection. Kitra’s skin stung from being torn away from Ike. She was frantic to find him and began to search the crowd. She whirled around, but in every direction found shady gowns and dark coats, all in a dizzying blur.
When the shadows had gone, Ike was nowhere to be seen. The bitter air embraced her and she sighed. She found herself alone, but looked down at the peach in her hand.
Kitra had fallen in love.
Last edited by Cole on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:39 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Oh Goodness! This was beautiful from beggining to end - impecable grammar and wonderful storyline. I love it! Absolutely adore it! PLease, please, please, write more! It'd be excellent to read more. And, btw, *Follow* (please follow back) and *like*
Keep writing,
~ Amelia

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:50 pm
Soulkana says...

Very amazing and rather very descriptive. I could picture this taking place rather easily. Want to know what happens so I hope you add more to this soon!!! Good luck and Happy writing!!!! Keep up the good work I will keep an eye out for more of your works ^^ Good luck with your reviews and your stories/poems!!!
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 am
ADream says...

This is a creative piece of work. I love your descriptive style, because it reminded me so much of my own writing style. Although I've tweaked and changed it a bit. I especially love the setting. One would think that people fall in love in libraries, the park or the beach. I love how you described Ike as a fisherman and how they were in a market. Very unique.

Random avatar

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm
Cole says...

Thanks for the reviews! I plan to write more of this soon. :)

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey Hayden!

I think this was a wonderful story! Like others have said, the grammar was great and I couldn't find any typos at all, so well done you.

I did find the story hard to get into a first, but once the descriptions became more frequent, the story began to flow better and I could really imagine everything that was going on. The way you described the feelings and emotions that they had for each other was brilliant and helped to add depth to the two characters. Kitra and Ike - great names by the way :)

I liked how you wrote the story from both points of view and switched back and forth throughout the story - it helped give the reader insight into both characters so we didn't relate to one more than the other and we got to see that they both felt the same way without the feelings seeming too one sided.

I do have one nit-pik that I'd like to point out -

Kitra Cross fumbled with her basket of groceries. It was rare to find sufficient produce this time of year in the markets of the seaside town of Roseview. Her basket was full of potatoes, some ears of corn, tomatoes, apples, and pears. Occasionally, the market supplied peaches, which were Kitra’s utmost delight. Unluckily, peaches were rare. Too rare.
The market of Roseview was practically the only place where one could meet another fellow human being. Nonetheless, the people of Roseview were all guarded, lonely, and distrustful.
There were not many people who inhabited the town of Roseview. It was virtually unheard of, excluding the few towns that traded with it. Roseview was a cold, gloomy town nestled at the foot of a barren, jagged bundle of mountains and cliffs, as well as being severed from any other civilization by the immense, unforgiving Blacker Lake—which was, in truth, a sea.

Now, this may seem picky, but that fact that you use 'Roseview' quite a lot during the opening paragraphs was distracting and it almost made the setting you were creating, too mainstream, if that makes sense? I think it would have more of an effect if you only used the towns name once or twice rather than referring to it five times. It'll help the opening paragraphs from seeming a bit repetitive.

I hope this helps! I really want to find out more about the characters and how their relationship will progress. If you post more, could you let me know please? Just drop me a PM or write on my wall :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

Random avatar

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:17 pm
Cole says...

Great suggestions! I totally agree :)

And I will let you know when I post more.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Hello.:)

First of all *follows*. This was an amazing story. Your wording was great. You described emotions so colorfully that this wasn't your cliche romance at all. There's a certain charm you lent to it as well with your descriptions of the place. Although this was a boy-meets-girl story which is overdone, you wrote it in such an original manner that it's a new story entirely.

As far as characterization is concerned, I think you drew a better picture of Ike than of Kitra. There was just more to infer from your description of his hands and even his clothes as to the character of the guy than of Kitra. Although since you plan to make sequels, I don't think it's much of a problem.

To tell you honestly though, I actually kind of like this as a stand alone piece. I'd love to read more of course, but it has it's own charm in it's mystery. There's a sweetness in not knowing how a love story ends.

There's just one thing I saw:
Ike was faint with the awe this striking maiden had brought upon him.

This made me think of Knights and Beowulf. Your language is just really different from the rest of the piece. You know how when sometimes you talk to your friends colloquially and then suddenly, someone quotes Shakespeare? That's just how this felt, rather out of place. I think perhaps you can word it differently so that it doesn't sound like a line from a Viking war song.

Anyway, really good job. I'd love to read more of your works.:)

--Nixie
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

Random avatar

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 am
Cole says...

Thank you for the review Nixie! :) I'm very glad you liked it.

I definitely see what you mean about me painting a better picture of Ike than of Kitra. This is partly why I want to write sequels. Kitra is still a mystery to me, too. I want to develop her more.

This was originally going to be a stand alone piece. I wrote this for a magazine.

I definitely see your point in that quotation. I don't know. I like it there, but I'll think about it.

Thanks for the review!

~H. C. Smith

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 pm
Amfliflier says...

Wow I really liked this. Just everything about it was great. I liked how it was written in olden times, because it seems like everything now is written from a modern perspective. I can't believe you wrote this for a school newspaper! It should be something more than that! Excellent job! :)
Forever for All <3

MUSIC RULES! :)

Everyday is Earth Day! :D

Random avatar

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 pm
Cole says...

Thank you for the review!

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 pm
SkyeDreamer says...

Her eyes fell upon a young man, perhaps only a year older than herself. The man was wearing a coat, vest, slacks, and leather boots laced up to his shins. His clothes smelled of the sea and it was comforting to her. His long brown hair was pulled back with a ribbon, but loose strands still fell across his face. The man’s kind, remarkable eyes were gray like the sea. His cheeks were lightly sun-kissed and stubble softened the hard lines of his muscular face and jaw.
Her hair was rippling behind her. Her dark skirts swept across the stones of the ground. The distance that grew between Ike and the maiden brought him physical pain. It was like an unquenchable burning. She was the sea. The distance between them was the blistering fire.
These two paragraphs really stood out to me for some reason. The language you use is beautiful! I'd love to read any sequel to this you write/ wrote. There were only a few phrases I might change, but that was just an opinion; nothing was wrong with the word choice. You're a really good writer!
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

Random avatar

Sun May 01, 2011 1:14 am
Cole says...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it.

And yes, I plan to write more of these characters. :)

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 am
View Likes
Moo says...

Hey Hayden, here as promised. :D I messed up the quote codes in this review, so excuse me for how messy it looks o-o

There were not many people who inhabited the town. It was virtually unheard of, excluding the few towns that traded with it. Roseview was a cold, gloomy town nestled at the foot of a barren, jagged bundle of mountains and cliffs, as well as being severed from any other civilization by the immense, unforgiving Blacker Lake—which was, in truth, a sea.

Roseview as a name doesn't suit the surroundings of the story. When I first read it I imagined a beautiful, quaint little town by the sea, the sort of place that just oozes personality. I just think that though this story is essentially a romance, the name doesn't suit the setting.

Kitra was weaving through small groups of people picking through baskets and carts of produce when she spotted a stand outside the butcher selling pounds of fresh filleted fish. She thought on it and decided to purchase a pound.

No need to repeat yourself. 'Some' would be sufficient here. :P

Ike preferred the water over land. He very much enjoyed being out on the sea, where he had no concern for anything but the water. He was free on the water. Ike could be barefoot and could enjoy the feeling of the deck beneath his toes. He could sunbathe and feel the burn of the afternoon on his bare shoulders. He could taste the salt in the air. He could feel the icy water on his skin and in his bones. Ike could be alive!

For some reason I find exclaimation sort of cheesy in third person narrative. I really loved the rest of the description though, it characterised Ike very nicely.

But, he was now wandering amongst the people of the land, looking through all of the produce of the market. His hands, now shoved in his coat pockets, were webbed with ghastly cuts and wounds from unsuccessfully attempting to fillet about seventy fish before he had to give up the task.

Generally it's good practice to avoid using but, and, or, etc at the beginning of a sentence.

It was like a miniature sun in his hands. He needed the sun. The gloominess of the day was getting to him, he thought.

Nice comparison, I got a vivid image of the golden peach in my mind.

His toes were sore in his restricting leather boots. His back was irritated under his shirt and vest. He was miserable and prayed to God to give him the strength to bear the prison of those clothes for a few more hours.

To me that sort of suggests that Ike likes to spend his time skinny-dipping or something o-o I think you mean that he wants to change clothes and wear his sailor's attire, but still.

“I would like to purchase a pound of fish, sir.” She said and handed him a few silver coins. He took the coins in his tough hands and then asked one of the other fishermen to his left to wrap another pound of fish.[/quote]

Repetition seems to appear a couple of times in this piece:P Try not to repeat yourself, it's quite jarring for the reader. There's no need to restate what's been said before, don't worry. Readers don't forget so easily. :3

she smashed her skull into a man’s face.
S

Okay, whoa. The image I got in my head when I read this was a woman pulling her head back and headbutting some poor guy clean in the teeth. This description is way too violent for simply bumping into someone. Seeing as she wasn't running, the impact would be minimal and Ike would most likely not be hurt.

Her eyes fell upon a young man, perhaps only a year older than herself. The man was wearing a coat, vest, slacks, and leather boots laced up to his shins. His clothes smelled of the sea and it was comforting to her.

Why does she find his smell comforting?

His cheeks were lightly sun-kissed and stubble softened the hard lines of his muscular face and jaw.

Stubble is quite hard and bristly in my opinion, so 'softened' might not be appropriate word choice here.

And then his eyes met hers.

I little clichéd. I think this one-liner has been done too often in romances to be viable here :P Try to describe their connection in a more subtle way.

The girl nodded, turned to her right, and began to walk away. Ike was suddenly hysterical. This woman who had captured his heart was leaving him! His tongue was in knots, his muscles were fluttering under his skin with thrill. An icy jolt raced up his spine. What if he never saw this girl again?

I'm not sure if you're a believer of love at first sight, but... even though I consider myself quite a romantic person, it's a little unrealistic I think to describe such strong feelings when they've only spoken to each other once. Kitra seems quite naive and I'm not sure I like that; usually sailors are rough and hard tounged yet she seems to bear a strange connection to them and the sea that's not really explained. Maybe if you explained her connection to the sea her attraction to him would seem more justified. :P

It was like an unquenchable burning. She was the sea. The distance between them was the blistering fire.

Nice, I liked that line. :3 Fire sort of reminds me of lust rather than love though, as it has connotations of passion. Just a thought.

His breath was sweet to Kitra and reminded her of summer. “I know I’ve only just met you,” Ike began, “but I would like you to have this.” He held out his hand and in it was a golden peach. Kitra gasped. “It’s not much, but I…”

Kitra looked up at him and took the peach. “Peaches are my favorite, Ike,"

Again, seems a little clichéd and too much of a coincidence that he stole the peach and they happen to be her favourite. I'm not sure how this can be fixed, other than taking it out.

“It must be.” She breathed.

Remember in my last review I mentioned dialogue tags? :3

Overall Impression

It's not bad Hayden. It's nice, but the clichés of the story weigh down the narrative. It seems like a typical romance and there's no real conflict in the story to really make me care about these characters. As readers we won't settle for nice though. We want mind blowing characters and a compelling story. :D The writing itself was sound with minimal mistakes once more, so congrats. The only real problems are some plot points that need working over again. Emotion was handled well in this piece and I felt no real problem with that, but somehow I felt dislocated from the story, a ghost hovering above the characters and the setting, not emotionally taking part. I think this may be because of the clichés that really disconnected me from the characters and their story.

Overall a nice job, but as always keep working at it!

Yours,

Moo
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

Reviews: 4
Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 am
TheEaseDropper says...

Awww soo cute keep writing this I love it.
TheEaseDropper :)

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller