z

Young Writers Society

A Story Called Philophobia

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue May 10, 2011 7:47 pm
AylaStarr says...

A/N: Not finished, just a story idea for now. Might possibly be extended into more/a novel.

Ren Taylor.

Renny-Benny. Reginald.

Reginald. Reginald Frank Taylor.

Right now, you are in your speech class. The class is conversing in small groups while the next speaker gets ready. But you are not talking to anyone. Instead, you are saying his name repeatedly in your head. No particular reason, you tell yourself. It’s just out of boredom.

And as you say it, it sounds like a rhapsody. But it shouldn’t, because while you repeatedly say his name in your head, you are also staring directly at Sir Reginald.

He is looking at you with his thin lips in a firm line, and his downcast green eyes almost glaring.

Do something. Either of you. Smile. Frown. Sing. Sing while frowning…

He shifts, and raises his hand. His middle finger sticks right at you, while he continues to wear his bored, tired expression.

You flick him off, too.

No, don’t do that. Text him and tell him you don’t mean it. Tell him you’re kidding.

You raise your other hand, and flick him off with both your middle fingers.

Coward.

“Jeez, could you be any more of a dill hole?” He chews his sandwich slowly, as if he’s savoring every bite.

The two of you are sitting on the school steps with your knees just-barely touching, eating lunch together.

“What’d I do now?” you ask, tossing grapes into your mouth.

“Giving a speech about friendship? Who the hell does that?”

“Um. People who know a thing or two about it?”

“Pssh. Then why’d you give it again?”

You turn to look at him, and find he’s staring at the pavement with a fixed gaze. His black hair looks soft and tousled under the gray hat he always wears, and his cheeks look flushed from the cold fall air. His jacket is thin and matches the light gray of his hat.

Reginald, you can’t help but think.

“Mad cause I didn’t mention you?” You raise your eyebrows and smirk, waiting for his reaction. It’s not the one you want, the one you crave.

He stops chewing and presses his lips into a firm line. Just like that, he throws his stuff into his book bag, and gets up abruptly, almost knocking you over.

“Go to hell, dill hole,” he mutters. He won’t look at you, can’t look at you. Instead, he keeps his eyes down as he retreats back into the school.

You force yourself not to chase after him.

In art, he sits on the other side of the room. Plugs his headphones in and sketches furiously, conveying a message of, I don’t want to speak to anyone.

You want to talk to him.

While everyone around you shouts and chats noisily about football and the mall, you stare at your phone as if hypnotized, wishing he’d text you or you could gather up the courage to text him, or something in the middle.

Halfway through the block, you turn to look at him, and he’s still drawing with vengeance. His bangs cover his eyes, so that you can’t see them, but you imagine what they look like beneath the hair. Right now, they are probably dark and furious, with a devilish glow about them. His cheeks are probably pink from the words he won’t say, can’t say, and you imagine his heart is beating as fast as his feet are tapping.

Your heart sinks.

Three-quarters into the block, your chest hurts too much, so you cave and send him a text.

I’m sorry.

Almost ten seconds later, as if he was waiting for the text, he replies.

Fuck you, asshole.

Your heart sinks again, and you figure it’ll be a good two or three days before he talks to you again. You lay your head on your arm, an image of defeat.

The bell is two minutes from ringing when your phone vibrates. You shoot up like you’ve been electrocuted.

Buy me food and ill forgive u. maybe...

You turn to look at him, and sure enough, he’s sitting with his cheeks pink, and his eyes soft. You know he wants to be angry, but he can't, the same way you can't.

The rhapsody continues.

“You really piss me off, sometimes.”

He’s eating the cheesecake you bought him. Bite by bite slides out of his mouth with a slow ease, and for whatever reason, you feel compelled to watch. Then you realize he’s more-or-less just insulted you.

“How so?” The weather is cold, and your jacket isn’t nearly thick enough to keep you warm. You slide closer to him and tell yourself it’s because you need warmth. The patio swing shifts slightly, and you see him tense for a brief second, and then relax.

He shrugs, looking down at his long fingers. Everything about him is long. His hands, his legs that extend and give him the appearance of a gazelle, his eyelashes that dash over his green eyes so cruelly, and his neck. They make him look like an animal of some sort, and you decide if it’s any animal, it’s an ostrich mixed with a messed-up looking flamingo.

“You just do,” he says now.

“Not like you’re any better,” you retort.

He turns to glare at you with his green eyes that look almost gray right now. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“It means you piss me off, too. All the time, actually.”

He snorts. “No, I don’t.”

“Yeah, actually, you do.”

“Nope.”

“The fuck?”

“I don’t. I know you don’t get pissed with me.”

This time, you snort, even as your face turns a brilliant shade of red and your heartbeat increases. “What makes you think that?”

“You always text first.”

“So? That doesn’t mean you don’t piss me off, per say…”

“Well, that, and…and even when I do shit that should piss you off, you just look at me like…”

“Like what?”

Now, he’s blushing furiously, and biting his lower lip, and tugging at his hat, and squirming. “Like...I. You." His eyes dart sideways at you. "Never—never mind.” He looks down again.

Your throat feels dry, and it almost burns to swallow. There’s an inner conflict within you. Should you say it, or not? Risk upsetting him, or smirk like nothing’s wrong? You open your mouth, just to see what will come out. “Like…the opposite of hate?”

Shit, you said it.

His breath catches, and all at once, he loses it. His eyes widen, the plate of cheesecake falls with a soft, mushy sound, and his blush multiples by ten.

You sit with your heart beating in your throat, and your fingers shaking from something that isn’t cold. You stare forward, waiting for him to speak, say something—anything.

You count to fifty before he talks again.

I hate you.”

It’s hard to breathe right now. Or talk, for that matter. You force words out. “That so?”

“I do. I really, really hate you.”

For some reason, the words lack power. Lack the actual feeling of hatred, and when you turn to look at him, his eyes are soft and watery and heated at the same time, and the wind is blowing his bangs around his head, and it looks wonderful.

“I hate you, you stupid bastard…” he says again, his lips shaking as his voice cracks. You nod, noting how cracked your lips are. You count to ten before you feel his body heat next to yours, his face nestling into your neck, and his breath warm on your skin.

His tears embrace your skin and contradict the heavy breathing. Everything is warm.

“Hate you,” he whispers, and still, his voice breaks.

It breaks and, in the process, reveals.
Last edited by AylaStarr on Fri May 13, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 pm
Vari says...

The use of 'you' instead of 'I' or 'he' makes this interesting. I hope you turn it into a novel because I'd keep reading :] What's the name of the MC though? Don't think I read it but I may be mistaken.

Keep it up!

~ Vari

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 pm
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

Oh. My. God. I loved this. I seriously loved this, so much! I think it's so unique and interesting that you used second person, rather than first or third. I also liked the beginning and the way you started the story by just repeating different ways to say Ren's name. There were a few sections that you could (and should) have elaborated on a little better. Like how the two characters where fighting throughout the story, but you didn't say why. You just kept repeating the fact that the MC was a "dill hole" (Amazingly funny, by the way) but you didn't say WHY or what she (or he?) did to Reginald (hehe that's my grandpa's name X3)

There were also some seriously funny lines in this that I absolutely adored! Such as:

Do something. Either of you. Smile. Frown. Sing. Sing while frowning…

And:

You flick him off, too.

No, don’t do that. Text him and tell him you don’t mean it. Tell him you’re kidding.

You raise your other hand, and flick him off with both your middle fingers.

Oh my gosh I laughed so hard! I loved the first one because it sort of broke the awkward tension between them momentarily (in a good way) and it lightened the mood for a few seconds ;P

The second one was also very funny because the MC is completely going against what she's thinking, which gives the reader incite to the character as well as making me laugh :3

Overall I think this is so good! And, though sometimes when a writer uses second person you can't feel the emotions as well and it almost sounds demanding, you did a very good job with this, and it didn't feel that way at all! You definitely pulled it off, and managed to get every emotion very well ^.^

Great job! I really want to read more! ^o^
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 am
Jas says...

Hey,

This was absolutely fabulous. I was dying when it ended. Okay, so a couple of nitpicks though.

1. I'd reeeeally like to know whether the MC is a guy or a girl. The story takes a different twist when it's a guy but I think I'd prefer the MC as a girl because it's less taboo and cuter that way. (Not that I don't love taboo gay stories but I dunno, this MC in my humble opinion, would seem better as a girl.) I think it's a guy though because you had the Reginald say 'You fucking bastard' and the term 'bastard' normally refers to guys. Plus, in a romantic story, a guy wouldn't curse THAT much to the girl, at least not without her cursing back at him twice as much.

2. The cursing. I LOVE IT. I love cursing (that sounds weird...) and hate how modern teen books never have any curses which annoys me because hello, we are teenagers. WE CURSE. GET OVER IT.

But. Maybe you over did it a littttle bit? Or maybe with Reginald you did. You didn't let our MC curse him back as much as I wish you did which makes me think that the MC is a wussy.

That's it. I lovvvved everything else. If you don't continue this, at least PM me and tell me the gender of the MC. :) The ending was really strong and the second person worked really well. You incorporated wit, emotion and raw talent into this piece and I'd hate to see it die. :) Also, the title (I googled it, I'm not that brilliant) was perfect.

Grade: A+

Favorite Line: Do something. Either of you. Smile. Frown. Sing. Sing while frowning

PM me if you have any questions or want another review.

~Jas
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun May 15, 2011 7:14 pm
thatoddkid says...

I had no idea the words "I hate you" could ever be so sweet.

Nice job taking comedy from tension. I like how you didn't make the love too dramatic; instead, you used humor to keep us reading. At the same time, you developed the narrator through their responses: only once does the narrator really fight back. The rest of the story shows someone who's hopeful, slightly sad, and longing, all in one. We also get a picture of Reginald, and it helps us to understand why he relents at the end. It also helps that you have an engaging style - it adds charm and emotion to the ending. (Basically, just keep doing what you're doing.)

I don't really know where you could go after this; in fact, I think it's perfect the way it is. But if you have a good idea to extend the story with, go for it.

If I'm right about a certain thing, the last line could not have been any better. In any case, it's brilliant.

What a nice story. I love it.

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner