z

Young Writers Society

Chiffon and Moonlight

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm
sarebear says...

A piece I wrote for a competition in my town (unfortunately it didn't win) but I still kinda like it. It is now being re-purposed as a contest piece for YWS

“Wait,” the man’s voice reverberated in the silence that filled the alley. She turned to look back and the moonlight shone on her face, casting the knife-like shadow of her nose across her cheekbone. She was wearing a chiffon evening gown and her coiffure was starting to come down. There was a small coffee-with-cream-brown curl outlined against her forehead.

“Why?” her voice was harsh, as if she was holding back the tears that longed to spill from her mascara-ed eyes.

“I…I’m sorry,” he finally managed. He held out his hand, hoping she might cross the ten feet between them and take it.

She glared at him for a moment, and then stalked away on high heels that he was sure made her feet hurt like hell.

"I have something for you,” he called.

She didn’t know why he would want to talk to her after what he did. But here he was and all she wanted in the world was to believe him. Finally curiosity got the better of her and she turned back towards him with her hands on her hips.

He crossed the cracked asphalt in his tux and knelt at her feet. He fished in his breast pocket, pulling out a little black box. He opened it and she saw the two rings glittering against the black velvet.

“Leanne, will you marry me?”

She stared at him. Her palms were sweating even though the evening was cool. Why would he want to marry her? There was a bruise on the back of her thigh where he had pushed her into the table after he drank too much. But maybe this was his way of apologizing. One part of her wanted nothing more than to say yes.

The bruise throbbed and she realized what accepting would mean. She bent and kissed him, savoring the feeling of his lips on hers. Then she straightened up and walked away, towards the Manhattan apartment where she wrote novels, glad that she still had the rest of her life ahead of her.
Last edited by sarebear on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm
Sassykat says...

It's an excellent piece, and it's obvious you took time to do it, The problem is it really needs more. This is so short you are leaving your readers with the though, "That was it?" It follows a good storyline, and it ends well, but it needs depth. I couldn't find any nitpicks, so good job on that.

Really a nice story. I have a feeling that if you give it the depth it needs you could bring readers to tears. The story has potential for sure! Awesome job!
Shakespearian tongue-twister:

To sit in solemn silence
In a dark, dank dock
In a pestilential prison
With a lifelong lock;
Awaiting the sensation
Of a short, sharp shock
Of a cheap, chippy chopper
On a big black block.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:33 pm
sarebear says...

Yeah, sorry about the shortness. I guess I forgot to mention that it had to be less than 350 words long.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin