z

Young Writers Society

Kiss me in the rain, baby.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 pm
ASH1397 says...

Behind her, the noise escalated, an ever growing siren of the bar. The sounds of laughter, and heavy bass drowned out all reality as the vibrating tones grew louder until they chafed out all things in the life of her mind; no thoughts, no worries, pure and absolute nothingness. She simply had to smile to herself. The numbing assurance of this non-passing feeling gave her clear, pure sanity. Away from the chaos of everything; work, friends, family, emotions, her (ex)fiancee, and pain. The complex pain that seemed to forever haunt her memories since she was a child, and since then, creating a massive, wreaking havoc on every aspect of how she saw things, how she felt things, how she determined what to do with things in her life. But none of that mattered; none of it. She swigged the last of the rum and Diet Coke from the bottom of the crystal, sweat-beaded glass before her.
“Hey, Jake!” She yelled over the music at the bartender, with a sly grin on her face. “I'll have another, please.”
The bartender, in his late 20's, as she was, turned around to service her order with a smile. She noticed something off about him tonight, something amiss. He had never smiled like that at her before in the 4 years she had been coming to this bar. His face glowed as he slid the fizzing drink back over the bar to her hand, but he didn't let go, and so her hand overlapped his.
It seemed about this time that she noticed how defined he was; the firm muscles of his arms leading up to a chest every woman died for. Of course, it didn't help that he wore a black T-shirt that hugged him like a second skin.
In turn, he had seen her face here, at this very spot for 4 years. He saw her through everything; rain, sunshine, even let her cry on his shoulder in the back room several times. Drove her home when he knew she shouldn't be driving, and tucked her in bed at her apartment. He saw her, and every time, she made his heart skip a beat or two. Seeing her made his mouth go dry, made him want to get down on one knee and ask for her hand in marriage.

But someone had already beaten him to the punch, and it nearly ripped his heart out when he got the wedding invitation in the mail several weeks before. She had no clue the pain or the heart break she had caused him, and he never wanted her to know. Yet in that moment, there was nothing else except the two of them.
The perfect two, he thought silently. And then the moment ceased, they looked down at their hands entwined, ashamed. She drew back first.
She started to say,“Thanks, I owe you--”
“It's on the house, Grace. I'll pay for it,” he interrupted her quietly. From then on through the night, there was not another word spoken between them.
He had hated seeing her throw herself away, seeing her chase after men. Especially the ass hole that would be her husband soon. That's why they were on odd ends lately, because he had tried to explain to Grace that he fiancee was cheating on her. Who did she believe? Him. And the subject was never brought up again.
She felt it all coming back again, the reality waves making a smoldering tide around her ankles.
The way he looked at me....
It was all she could think about. Every time she tried to produce a different thought, the new thought was overridden by the look. The way he looked at her replayed over and over in her head; the brokenness in his eyes, the hurt in those black depths.
I have to talk to him. Have to tell him it's over. Have to tell him how...
“Jake,” Grace said quietly, so quiet no one turned as if her voice had startled them. Not even Jake. The rushing chords of electronic guitars rang out in her ears, and the pulse of the bass drum sent a chaotic headache into her temples. She felt her pulse quicken, in time with the rhythm of the music, and it was becoming too much. “Jake!” She said more forcefully, feeling her stress building. The room began spinning, tilting, blurring. The headache ever raging across her skull as if a thousand jackhammers began piercing her skin.
“JAKE!” She screamed, crying out in pain. Tears welted in her eyes and several people turned to stare at her, murmurs beginning across the crowd, and blood beginning a slow stream out of her nose. Jake turned to look at her, as their eyes met in a sharp contact, Grace's entire world went stone, cold black, as Jake's world fell to chaos under her stress attack.

Beep.... Beep... Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep-beep-beep-beep. The heart rate monitor spun out of control as Grace woke up; a large gasp escaping her chest, her heart pounding in her narrow chest. Jake bounded across the room to her side immediately.
“Grace? Grace, can you hear me?” he leaned over her, looked her in the eyes, both of his hands cupping her pale cheeks, shaking.
“Jake? Is that you?” Tears brimmed in her dark blue eyes as she stared into his burning black eyes. “I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry,” She didn't even say what she was sorry for, instead began uncontrollably sobbing, leaning forward into his chest, not even caring of the tubes in her nose to help her breathe. He couldn't help but cradle her head to his chest while she cried.

“Don't, Grace, it's OK. You're fine. I promise.” He didn't even notice he was crying until Grace pulled back and reached up to wipe them away from his cheek.
“I have something to tell you,” They said in unison as Jake pulled a chair up to her bedside. “Go first, Grace,” Jake whispered, reaching out to hold her hand in his. Grace leaned forward, interweaving her hand through his, and brought it up to her lips to kiss it.
“Jake, I'm sorry. God.” She sniffled, trying to form words in her head so she didn't seem like a total dunce to Jake. “I should have believed you, you know? You were right. Right about Warren. I caught him last week. Threw his damn ring at him, packed up, and left to go back to my apartment.” She sniffled again. “I'm sorry, Jake. So fucking sorry,” She felt the lump in her throat growing and she knew she couldn't say anything else to him without bawling her eyes out again.

He couldn't believe it. His heart swelled up in his chest, and he knew something was happening; something right.
“Do you want to hear what I was going to say?” He chuckled, smiling wide and moving closer to her as she nodded. “I was going to tell you that I'm going to leave you and the ass wipe alone from now on, and the only time you would see me was at the bar. I was going to tell you I'm sorry for testing your judgment, and that I think you're amazing. You... You make me feel like a man. You make me feel like no other girl has before,” He had started to look down at their hands when he started telling her how he felt, and so now when he paused to look up at her, she had tears in her eyes and dimples that highlighted her smile.

“Don't cry yet, I'm not even done!” He joked, which made both of them laugh. Then he continued on with soft words from his heart. “Grace Anna Faith Davis, I love you. And I will spend the rest of my life by your side, through anything; through rain or sunshine. I'll be here to hold you, to cry with you, to love you, and most of all I'll die for you. Grace, please, say something,” His voice broke as he stared at her in sheer pain. He wanted everything for her, and the silence created a massive hole in his heart.

Grace felt her heart welt up, and burst. That was what she had always wanted to hear from him. Those words, the sheer emotion, everything was simply perfect. She responded with eight words.
“Kiss me in the rain. I love you.” And with those sealing words, Grace fully captured Jake's heart, and Jake fully had Grace's heart.

Walking out of the hospital, hand in hand, with Grace's head on Jake's shoulder, and his arm around her, a sharp crack of lightning flashed across the sky, followed soon after by thunder. Dark, roiling clouds moving swiftly across the sky seemed to darken more, thickening the night air. A light sprinkle wiped across the concrete as far as the eye could see. Within another minute, a heavy down pour cascaded from the heavens, drenching every dry inch of the land, and person in its wake.

Grace looked up to Jake, and he smiled down to her, pulling her out into the soaking weather. They stood looking into each others eyes for five minutes, letting the rain seep through their clothing, letting the rain freeze their very cores. Then, Jake bent his head down to Graces, and gently fastened his mouth to hers. Her hands reaching up and twisting in his hair; his hands cupping her cheeks, drawing her deeper into the fiery embrace.

When they pulled back, they smiled, and Jake shouted over the storm, “Grace, I love you!”
(4 years later)

"What now?" Grace asked, laughing as Jake uncovered her eyes. He had taken them to a restaurant that was empty except for the two of them. A table was in front of her, with a white cloth covering it and a single rose resting on its center.
"Wow, you out did your self, Jake." she laughed, as he pulled out her chair for her to sit. He chuckled behind her.
"Maybe just a little bit. Wait until you taste the food. Then we can talk, love." He grinned across the table from her. Grace missed this, the mystery he brought in to her life. Soft music played in the background of their evening, food came on the table and went. She sat there, thinking of the past four years of happiness she had had with Jake. Grace simply stared at him as he spoke. Looked at the way his face was always lit up around her, how his smile always reached his eyes. Then, his lips stopped moving, and he stared at her.
"Grace, are you OK?" He questioned. She nodded, and responded.
"I was just looking at you. You look so happy all the time now." She picked up the tall, elegant glass before her and sipped the contents out of it. "Now tell me, why are we here, Jake?"
Jake felt his stomach tighten at the question. He reached for her hand across the table; his face solemn.
"We've been together for four years."
"Yes? And?"
"Today is our four year anniversary. So I'm giving you this," He leaned across the table, and kissed her. He felt the soft skin of her lips against his and he relished in that feeling.
Grace smiled at him as he returned to his seat. "OK, I really liked that gift."
"And, since we've been together for four years now, I have technically known you for 8 years." He tried to sound sophisticated, which just made her laugh.
"And now here is my third and final present to you, Grace." Jake got up from his seat, and circled the table to her side. Grace felt a knot in her stomach form.
This is it. He's going to do it. She thought.
This is it. I'm going to do it. Jake thought, sinking down to both knees.
Oh my god, he's going to break up with me! Breathe, breathe... She felt tears prick at her eye lids.
Damn. I hope she doesn't break up with me. I love her too damn much...

"Grace Anna Faith Davis," He pulled out a box behind his back, as he watched tears form in her blue gaze.
"Will you marry me?" He pulled the box out and flipped it open to reveal a beautiful princess cut diamond ring. Inside the silver band read: Love me?
Grace cried and sobbed for five minutes straight with Jake by her side, trying to take the ring back, telling her it's OK to not feel the same way. Finally, she kissed him and put the ring on her finger. He held her against his chest and felt triumph. He did it. He found "The One." And she was his One and Only.

(Wedding day, 8 months later)
A rupture of applause, and screams and whoops from the crowd filled their ears. He kissed Grace one more time, long and deeply. When they broke apart, he whispered in her ear, “Kiss me in the rain, baby. Kiss me in the rain.” She smiled and looked back at him, remembering that one night, and responded, "Always, and forever."
Last edited by ASH1397 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
And just when the caterpillar thought her life was over, she turned into a beautiful butterfly.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:52 am
View Likes
AllieMeadows says...

Omg I absolutley love this story! It is so sweet and touching. I love how you have the guy that is thre for your MC. This is now on my top ten favorite short story of all time. Only one question. Why did she go to the hospital? Oher than that it was very easy to follow and I adored it. Please let me know when you ost anyhing else because I love your style of wriing. Keep up the good work and keep writing.
Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead :o <3

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am
Alpha says...

You.
Are.
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.Amazing.Amazing.Amazing.Amazing.Amazing.Amazing.
Amazing.
AllieMeadows wrote:Omg I absolutley love this story! It is so sweet and touching. I love how you have the guy that is thre for your MC. This is now on my top ten favorite short story of all time. Only one question. Why did she go to the hospital? Oher than that it was very easy to follow and I adored it. Please let me know when you ost anyhing else because I love your style of wriing. Keep up the good work and keep writing.

I absolutely agree with Allie. It's sweet, a little too fast, but I totally love it.
You deserve another follower.
Keep on writing, and don't forget to post it!
Cheers,
Alpha

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:27 am
borntoshop says...

I agree with both comments above!!!!!!
One question, why'd she go to the hospital?
:D

122 Reviews

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:06 pm
ASH1397 says...

To answer the question, "Why did she go to the hospital?" is this:
Whenever the bloody nose came about, and the world was spinning around Grace, she was having a major stress attack. Yes I know it isn't very realistic, but i used it to illustrate the fact of that's how much pressure she had put herself under; that she felt guilty, and it landed her in the hospital from the stress; high blood pressure, that kind of thing.

:) felt like you guys are giving me great reviews, and fans. More will be posted soon. and thank you all so much for the compliments, believe it or not, I wrote this story trying to get rid of writers block :)

much love to all of you for your support and etc.
:)
---Ash
And just when the caterpillar thought her life was over, she turned into a beautiful butterfly.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 pm
View Likes
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

I'll begin with the nitpicks and then go on my overall impression on your story.
The perfect two, he thought silently.

This part should be in italics because it's a thought.
That's why they were on odd ends lately, because he had tried to explain to Grace that her fiancee was cheating on her.

The way he looked at me...

Again this is a thought, so it should be in italics.
I have to talk to him. Have to tell him it's over. Have to tell him how...

And again...
Then, Jake bent his head down to Grace's, and gently fastened his mouth to hers.

This story was really sweet, and I liked it. Plot wise, it was great, and you seemed to have done the characterization good.
I don't have anything to say really... It's a great story. :)

Keep up the good work!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:21 am
View Likes
squarened says...

Wow, you're really quite a good writer, especially for a 14 year old! 14! There are some really good moments in this. I'm very drawn to this beautifully subtle little gem:

She swigged the last of the rum and Diet Coke from the bottom of the crystal, sweat-beaded glass before her.

However, I think you got a little over-zealous with your physical descriptions of your characters. I felt like it distracted from the real emotional depth in your story, and it reads kind of purple-prose-y. That's not to say that you can't describe anything, but I felt like descriptions like this one were almost redundant:

The way he looked at her replayed over and over in her head; the brokenness in his eyes, the hurt in those dark, pitch black depths. The way his black hair settled over his eyes just slightly to add to the smoldering ebony.

What's more is that you have several descriptions of his eyes that all read pretty much exactly the same.

Another issue I had was with your telling and not showing. This wasn't a huge issue, but I wish you'd let the reader interpret a little more about Jake and Grace's relationship. There was a lot you could've conveyed with really just the dialogue itself. There's also some things you just don't have to tell the reader about them.

Another thing was that I paragraphs like this one were just like this giant block of text that were honestly pretty difficult to read through:

The bartender, in his late 20's, as she was, turned around to service her order with a smile. She noticed something off about him tonight, something amiss. He had never smiled like that at her before in the 4 years she had been coming to this bar. His face glowed as he slid the fizzing drink back over the bar to her waiting hand, but he didn't let go, and so her hand overlapped his. It seemed about this time that she noticed how defined he was; the firm muscles of his strong arms leading up to a chest every woman died for. Of course, it didn't help that he wore a black T-shirt that hugged his very being like a second skin. In turn, he had seen her face here, at this very spot for 4 years. He saw her through everything; rain, sunshine, even let her cry on his shoulder in the back room several times. Drove her home when he knew she shouldn't be driving, and tucked her in bed at her apartment. He saw her, and every time, she made his heart skip a beat or two. Seeing her made his mouth go dry, made him want to get down on one knee and ask for her hand in marriage.

This covers like three different topics -- there is really just no reason why this has to be one paragraph, and there are several text blocks like this one. Also, this is contains one of the more purple-prose-y descriptions in this story.

My final criticism is this minor one:

dimples that highlighted her smile.

I just find this to be an awkward kind of way to describe a dimpled smile -- which is one way to describe it.

I hope you didn't find this critique to be too harsh! Again, you are a very talented writer, especially for your age, but that's partially why I was so hard on your writing. It's very clear what you're capable of :)

122 Reviews

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm
ASH1397 says...

:)
No! You weren't too harsh at all, looking back, I totally understand the mistakes you're pointing out. Thank you for the "harsh" criticism :)
After a few more reviews, I'm going to edit this story.
Much appreciated,
--Ash

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:52 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

Hey, sorry I'm getting to this so late! Been so busy lately.

Ash, my friend, your writing has so much improved :) This piece was very well written. I do agree with some of the above comments, mostly just the two about why she went to the hospital and the relationship progressing too fast. To me, I don't think that he should have proposed to her like that. Though they've known each other for four years, they haven't tried out a relationship with each other. That's kind of crucial. Other than that though, I really think that you're getting a much stronger voice. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Luxe :D
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

Reviews: 4
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:05 am
TheEaseDropper says...

I fell in love with this piece of writing. It triggered all of my emotions, love, hate, sorrow, pain, and did I mention love.
TheEaseDropper :)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 am
Alliaaryn5665 says...

Hi,

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh y goodness. OH MY GOODNESS! I have fallen in love with this! There are a few errors though. With the thoughts[reviews before mine point them out], too many descriptions[never thoought I'd say that], I beilive I might've saw some spelling/grammar mistakes, and maybe a few other things. I personally think you should have played a teensy bit more into what was wrong with her. Uhm, I should not have found that out by reading reviews. At times, a few sentences were hard to follow but then again it's 5:35 am as I am writing/typing this. Okay, so overally, this was fantastic. Make sure you PM me if you write more. Simply wonderful.

Farewell,
A.
You think you are any different from me,or yourfriends?Or this tree?If you listenhard enough,you canhear every living thingbreathing together.You canfeel everything growing.We are all living togethereven if most folksdon't act like it.We all havethe same roots,and we are allbranches of the sametree.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 pm
View Likes
Bhayden71297 says...

I loved this! Completely! Omg it was amazing :)

ASH1397 wrote:This is it. He's going to do it. She thought.
This is it. I'm going to do it. Jake thought, sinking down to both knees.
Oh my god, he's going to break up with me! Breathe, breathe... She felt tears prick at her eye lids.
Damn. I hope she doesn't break up with me. I love her too damn much...

This right here ^...may have been my favorite part :)

Great job! Brilliant work..
-Brie
"None but ourselves can free our minds." ~Bob Marley

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 pm
View Likes
roxywriter1573 says...

This was so amazing! I love love love romantic stories like this and i love this one soo much. But...(yes there is a but) it was just a little too fast. i would love to see this as maybe a novel (start with when they met, end with the wedding. Throw in some events that mess up the relationship at first but eventually make it stronger) or just a really long story. I'd like to see more depth and more description. Throughout the story, I couldn't imagine what the characters looked like. They were just two random people. No specific hair color, eye color, personality. i mean maybe that;s just me (probably is) so you don't have to listen to that part. XD anyway, i loved it.

Keep on Writing
-Roxy
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."
-Confucious

FoxyRoxy <3
Don't judge a book by it's movie
Lisa, vampires are make-believe, like elves, gremlins, and eskimos
-Homer Simpson

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 pm
View Likes
purplepretzel says...

I know I'm a little late, haha (I found this while looking at your portfolio), but wow. WOW. wow. wow.

Okay, I think I'm overusing the word. :P

Come to think of it, it's a bit like my new story, key to my heart. But yours is a lot more longer and has a lot of other different, unique things. ;D

This is amazing. It's very descriptive and perfectly captures Jake & Grace's love. I love it. <3

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:38 am
Anwesha says...

Couldn't have been better. I fell in love with the story. Especially, the part wen he asks her to marry him, how both of them think the opposite. It was well thought. Even the choice of words were good and descriptive. As whole, something that brings a smile on your face in the end. Loved it! :-)
Imperfection is beauty,
Madness is genius,
And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous
Than to be absolutely boring... :-D

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson