z

Young Writers Society

Unforgettable

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 am
Sela Locke says...

“There are no words that can truly do justice to it. Any of it. And that’s why I never say anything. Because people in stories always blurt everything out and it turns out right, but that’s not real life and this is. So I keep my mouth shut.

But you’re beautiful. Like the sun coming up over the emerald hills or the raindrops on a bloody red rose. Beautiful in a way that cameras could never capture and photoshop could never even imagine. You’re adorable, like the yawn of a kitten or the sneeze of a very small, rather stupid little dog. You’re perfect, like the way the cake looks on the cake frosting kit, and just as completely flawed as the actual cake when anybody actually tries to make it. No one can steal your beauty and no fairy can take away your silly dreams.

So I pretend it doesn’t matter, because you’d never believe any of it if I told you. I think you’re fantastic and hilarious and painfully cute but if I ever told you you’d think I wanted something, that I was trading that for whatever I wanted to take from you; that’s okay, you’ve never known any different. I promise I won’t say a word. I promise no one ever needs to know from me how sweet you are. I’ll go around saying you’re obnoxious and ridiculous because that’s the only language you understand. But honestly? Darling, if I could have anything I’d ask for your happiness, and then I’d give it to you for your un-birthday and never let you give me anything in return.

Why? You don’t realize it, but I owe you. I owe you for showing me things about myself I never knew—things I love and things I absolutely hate, but things. Real things. Human things. And you see through people’s petty little lies and you tell them the truth, even if they don’t want to hear it.

So go on, baby. Go out into the world and make it shine that little bit brighter. Go out and fill life with sunshine and brush away the cobwebs with your laughter. Write things and doodle your little stick figures and believe in things even when no one else wants to.

Because you’re beautiful. Like the moon in the clouds and the fireflies rising up out of the grass in summer at sunset. You’re fantastic, like dragons and fairies and those silly little things nobody thinks are real anymore. Your smile makes everything else unimportant and ridiculous and pasty in comparison, and when your eyes sparkle they turn to liquid gold. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you, and don’t you dare think that’s special, because it’s not. It’s just me and you and everyone else. It’s just darkness and light and gibberish and those funny plastic cars in “Life”.

You were the first one to ever care, you know. Even for a little while. And I don’t want to lose that. You were the first one to see the new me and actually not mind. I could make you laugh—and I’m not good at that, so maybe you were just faking, but it doesn’t really matter anymore. All that matters is that there really is nothing very special about me, and everything about you is special. Special, precious, as gold and rubies and those little bits of melty chocolate inside Lindt bonbons.

Forget it. All of it. You never needed to know any of this. Maybe someday someone braver will tell you, because they’re not afraid. But I’m content to sit back and watch you sparkle. I don’t mind paling in comparison, so long as they’re comparing me to you.

So stop worrying. You are perfect, unpretentious, unprotected, unforgettable, and undeniably delightful. It’s funny, isn’t it? You’ll never read this; why should you? Why should you ever? Even if you did you’d never know I was talking to you.

That’s all. All I wanted to let you know. All I loved about you. All the little funny things you do, like singing when you think no one’s listening, and the way you roll your golden eyes. I make you sound great, don’t I? Like something unreachable, completely flawless. But that’s the best part, darling—that you’re all the better for the fact that your flaws don’t need to matter. Not “flawless” but “flawful”. Which sounds terrible but is really much less laughable and confusing than it sounds.

Keep dreaming, kid. Keep dreaming. And don’t forget.

I just know I’ll never forget you.”

She stood up from her desk, taking the sheet of paper with her to the window. The light was dimming outside, and a chilled breeze swept in, pushing past her and ruffling her hair. With a little shudder, she brushed a ringlet from her eyes and folded the bit of paper up. It was doubly small when she finished, and sniffling, she swept a tear from her cheek, and threw it to the four winds, and watched it rise up, seeming to glide a moment, caught in a beam of fading sunlight.

Then it tumbled into the murky waters, and was forever lost to sight.
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 am
BelarusBirdy says...

I love this story. I didn't see anything small, no errors. I can so easily relate to this, except I burn my writings sometimes instead of dropping them in the water. (I've done that before, too.)
Anyways, if you could review my poem "the last words" I'd be really grateful.
Keep Writing,
Bel
A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes. I screamed aloud as it tore through them and now it's left me blind.
Florence and the Machine, Cosmic Love

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:02 pm
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

This story was really great, and I love how you get 'out' of the letter at the end to show us that she is getting rid of it. It's different, since many would just write it in the letter that they will get rid of it, instead of actually showing it.

Also, when she describe him, it's full of little quirky little details, and I just love it. I'm all for details in a story, and in this case, it just adds to the whole thing. Shows us how she sees him, and how much she loves him.

Also, you gave it a 'real life' feeling, by describing how love stories always do this and that, but it's not like that in real life. Which is absolutely true. Humans are made to always stay in their comfort zone. If it's dangerous, and there's maybe a chance it will destroy their life, they won't do it. I really like that you could bring this into your story.

I don't think I have anything on the side of constructive criticism... I guess that's good. ;)

Keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 pm
mistielovesyou says...

This is very good. I loved how you described human emotion, and how realistic this is. It' s great to realize that not all people have the courage to blurt out their feelings. It's kind of sad, too. You just find yourself wishing you'll say something, but you never do.
mistura is awesome and she loves you

"The adventures I enjoy are usually of a literary nature."
— Henry Winchester