z

Young Writers Society

The Perfect, Passionate Love

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 am
azntwinz2 says...

Adele Iroha wiped the sweat off of her forehead. She had spent the last couple of hours chasing her children Roy and Lake around the house, shoving cotton t-shirts down their bed hair and spooning cereal into little Kaylie’s mouth. Her husband just sighed at the chaos, and purred his S class Mercedes Benz out of their private driveway, intending to eat at the local Denny’s.
She finally plopped down on the couch and struggled to catch her breath. Adele’s long, silky black hair was tousled and clung to her skin tightly. She surveyed her surroundings pensively. When they had first moved to this house, she remembered feeling awed at its enormous size, grand staircase, and luxurious tubs. Her favorite part had been the glossy, white deck complete with a tiny table, parasol, and the new edition of a steak griller.
Now all she could muster was a bitter resentment at the floors that needed a swipe with the vacuum. The shades attached to the windows gave the house a dark, ominous mood that accurately matched her emotional condition.
Lately she found herself wondering how she had gotten here. A mother of three, with no professional career and wracked with stress no one cared to understand. She was only in her early 30’s, but she already dreaded the future years she had left to live.
Her rumination was rudely interrupted by the chime of the doorbell. Groaning silently, she rose up to open the door. Checking her appearance in the tacked up mirror, she smoothed out her hair and pulled on her light shawl.
“Hi,” she said, simultaneously wrenching the heavy, oak entrance open.
Adele’s eyes widened incredulously before she smothered the man with a powerful hug.
“Dennis,” she squealed uncontrollably, and he laughed heartily in response.
“Can I come in?” His voice had deepened over the years, but he still held a slightly boyish look with his innocent, dreamy eyes.
“Get in here,” she commanded, and led him to the kitchen. Without asking, she dripped steamed coffee into a mug and served it to him. He nodded his head in thanks and took a tiny sip.
“Whatever in hell are you doing in Hawaii?” She asked, sitting down to face him. Her light brown, doe-shaped eyes scintillated with excitement as she propped her head up with her coarse palm.
“In town for business,” he explained. She noticed the hesitation in his manner, and her excitement drained slowly.
“It’s been, what, ten years?”
“14 years,” he corrected her. Their conversation grew solemn as they looked into the past through each other’s eyes.
“It’s weird. I was thinking about those times lately. That was the highlight of my life,” she smiled, a little embarrassed.
“They were good,” Dennis admitted, cupping the coffee mug gently. The room submerged into a reflective silence as each person dug through memories of the past.
Suddenly, Dennis remarked, “Oh yeah. I also came because of these.” From his pockets he withdrew a crisp envelope and handed it to Adele. She looked at him curiously, and then opened it.
“I found them while I was cleaning out our old house,” he explained and examined her reaction closely.
The envelope contained a packet of pictures, slightly tarnished with time and dust. Many of them portrayed a young lady with long, dark locks, tanned face, and a silly, entrancing grin. Adele chuckled appreciatively as she flipped through them.
“Now who’s this ugly girl?” She asked playfully.
“I don’t know, that’s why I was hoping you could help me,” Dennis bantered back, his face settled into relief.
Just as she was about to stack them back into the envelope, her eye caught onto one in particular. The sky was tinged crimson as it captured two lovers sitting precariously on a sturdy branch. The passion from the red skies only highlighted the intimacy between them. She remembered how the wild winds had flung her hair around her face – to the extent that she could not really see his. But she could inhale his sea stained scent and feel the tension charging his body. She also recalled how his rough hands had gripped hers painfully, aware of the sweat between them.
Dennis wrinkled his eyebrows as he watched Adele stare blankly at the picture. He regretted his decision of leaving it in the pile.
“Adele?’ His concerned voice awakened her from her reverie.
“I had forgotten this had even happened,” she whispered brokenheartedly. He didn’t refute her denial. “This was real too, huh. He was real,” she sobbed, the tears finally dripping down the contours of her cheeks and jaw.
“We all lost him,” he consoled her, his hands clutched helplessly.
“I told him, I told him not to go. I said it was stupid. The tide was going to be too strong,” her words distorted into moans as she covered her face with her coarse hands.
“Adele. Adele, look at me,” Dennis commanded, and then pulled her hands away. “I wasn’t going to come. But then I saw this, and I knew. It’s time you let go of him now. He’s gone,” he said, his tone harsh with frustration.
“How can you?” She cried loudly, her cheeks blotched an angry red. “He’s your brother, your one and only brother!”
“He was,” Dennis replied angrily. Then he abruptly got up from his chair and stared stonily out the screen door, focusing on the calm beach. After a few moments, he sighed despairingly and came back to place his arms awkwardly around Adele’s trembling back.
“Sometimes, I wonder,” she said, almost in a trance, “how my life would have been if he didn’t go that day. Would I be living in this huge house? Would I be any happier than I am now? Would anything have changed?” Dennis listened to her quietly, and after a deep breath, she continued. “Or would time change us? Would we grow sick of each other, would we have even gotten married? And then, I look at the me now, and I can’t help perfecting the past. In my dreams, he’s taller and more handsome. The air is that flawless, warm, sticky kind that I love. And I can see the redness of the sky from even my closed eyelids. I can smell his scent and the salt from the sea, so much that at times my nose burns. It’s like, it’s like in his death I glorified him into the perfect person. The perfect, passionate love. The kind that promised to never die down,” Adele mumbled. Her voice was cracked dry, exhausted from the pent up emotion in her miserable soul.
“You’ve got to let him go. Like I did,” he said, and she could distinguish the similarity in their voices. If he had survived that night, if he had walked back to shore with his board tucked under his arms, would he resemble Dennis today?
“I know. I will,” she promised hollowly. Upon hearing those words, he released her from his embrace.
“I’m going to leave. And I won’t ever come back. I’m not going to worry about you, and I won’t think about you again.” Dennis straightened his shoulders, and his eyes narrowed in determination. She nodded wordlessly at his resolution, watching his every step as he walked away and out the door.
“Wait,” she shouted, and ran out to the yellow jeep parked in the driveway. He kept his car door open, and turned around to face her.
“Take these with you.” She handed him the envelope, her hands quite steady.
He looked down, and then smiled sadly. It seemed as though eternity had passed, but soon enough the envelope was tucked safely in his hands.
“Did those pictures come from your camera?” She asked suddenly.
“Yes,” he admitted truthfully.
“And did you take that picture?”
“I did.”
“Why were you there that night?”
“Because I promised a stupid girl I would teach her how to take pictures,” he replied. His gaze was fraught with a slow tenderness that Adele could not ignore.
“How stupid of you to wait for that stupid girl.”
“Agreed,” he said, and they both choked out a small chuckle.
“Well, good bye Dennis Harper,” she finally said.
“Good bye Adele Iroha,” he responded. After 14 years, he had finally found the courage to laugh thoughtfully at those foolish feelings of his. He did not spare her one last look, for fear that his resolve should weaken, and climbed into the jeep.
She waited until the yellow car blended in with the already blazing morning sun before returning once more to both her house, and the present.
THE END
Please make sure to check out my portfolio! Any comments are immensely desired!

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 am
KilljoyRetardedFish says...

I really liked your story, but there was one part that I had an issue with. Adele stated that she had forgotten that day, but later she says she can still remember it. It's kind of a contradiction. Other than that I didn't notice any mistakes, and I enjoyed reading it! Keep writing, because you are pretty good at it! :D
I am not you, and you are not me.
We cannot understand each other.
Though we could try, we won't completely.
The effort however, will keep us together.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 am
mparq says...

These twists always get me. Thank you for not giving me the run-of-the-mill romance fare which I was kind of expecting when guy with "innocent, dreamy eyes" rang the doorbell. The plot was powerful (yours always are) but not your best. I found Adele's story believable, almost compelling but a few details pull me out of it in this one.

One, the setting felt really flat. At the start, she's attending to her kids and they're apparently running around the house causing all sorts of trouble for her. (By the way, shirts are pulled over hair usually, not down it :)) Yet, when dreamy eyes walks through the door, they suddenly vanish. We don't see that much of the husband either but I found it comical that he would drive his S Class Mercedes to eat at the local Denny's. Generally it felt like you just pulled in these characters to artificially encourage pity for Adele's situation. I didn't like it, honest. I know this is a short story and all but it really did feel like the two main characters were acting out a scene in front of a cardboard backdrop: Hawaii.

That brings me to my second point. The characters did not sound like they grew up in Hawaii. I would never have known if you didn't tell me. Take this line:
“Whatever in hell are you doing in Hawaii?”

Now I might be wrong since I don't live in Hawaii, but I could not see a Hawaiian person saying this.

Those were the things I think you can fix. Also, nix liberally some of the adverbs and adjectives that aren't always necessary. Now for a confession. I got chills near the end as they say their good-byes, and it's near 90 Fahrenheit outside (though I am just in my boxers hey). I really love your plots, they're never what you expect and they always have this sharp twist that leads to a perfect ending. It might have been a bit cheesy for the car to blend into the sun, but hey I liked it. All in all, pretty good, and I don't even like these heavy romance themes. Now excuse me while I drive my S Class Mercedes to the nearest Waffle House :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 pm
NerdTurd says...

Sure, perhaps the surrounding background was weak. Fix that.
One of the reasons why I really like this peice is its not as freaking cheezy as romance usually is. Thank you for not writing a Twilight sequel here.
You managed to convey the bittersweet feeling that Iroha has right now. She's unhappy with her current life and all of a sudden a man from the past. Seems like every housewife's dream right there.
Dialogue was great here, sounded real enough with exception of the lack of Hawaiin accent.
I guess one of the things you could fix here though is to add in a little more subtlety. At the beginning, I mean.
We readers are vey quickly introduced to Iroha's situation. Maybe too fast. For one thing, I (as a reader) like to be able to digest these situations from character actions and dialogue. For some reason I felt that we were hand-fed the reasons to her unhappiness, which is annoying. Also, I think of it like this. Every woman, once they get married and settle down with children feel a bit of postpartum depression and wants to run away sometimes. Maybe to past loves. I can get that. But woman are practical creatures that realize that those memories are dreams and nothing can be done about it. I don't like how Iroha's life is made so pathetic in the beginning of this story and how her husband seems to be the stereotypical jerk-face who says I don't want to deal with my own sperm seeds. I mean he could be, but I feel like his character wasn't fleshed out enough and it might even be cool to set her husband and previous lover as foils. I don't know. Im just suggesting that it might be wise to flesh out his character and her current situation and to have her wake up from this surreal visit from the past b/c of her family in the present.
All in all, good job.

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 pm
Doxie00 says...

Waayyy to goo!! I loved this story!
It was sad ! It must really hurt to lose the love of your life and to find yourself married to someone who cant compete with that old ghost in your life!

And i liked the way you showed that Dennis still liked her, But couldnt bring himself to say so! He took that pic cause he loved her right? :3

Good work, keep it up! :)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:47 pm
SunnyHeart27 says...

I thought this was super enjoyable. A few small things that the other reviewers have mentioned are right and could be improved to create a work even more readable and intriguing as this is. The plot twist is interesting, but I felt myself sad that both let go, personally I prefer the crazy happy romantic ending with a passionate kiss of reunited lovers :P But this was excellent anyway, though maybe, if editing, you could develop the sadness that the main character will surely feel when going back to her life of loveless drudgery. Also, as a challenge to the main plot, you could involve some of her maternal love for her children, which must exist, even if her husband is not the man of her dreams. Other than that, I actually totally got into this story like any in a compilation by a published writer, it was really great :)

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace