z

Young Writers Society

The Beach

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am
View Likes
YW1996 says...

*I admit, I believe this is rated E, but if you believe it needs to be changed, please post at the end or the start of your post.

Rating: ????

This is to make it easier for me to find what people think, thanks. :)*

I lie on the sandy beach.

The beautiful sunset brings tears to my eyes as I remember the last time I sat here, the last time I watched the beautiful sunset...

The last time, I was with my darling sweetheart, my darling wife, my darling...

It was two years ago now...

We were sitting on the beach, watching the waves come in. It was calming, refreshing and extremely relaxing. So much so, she fell asleep in my arms.

Her long brunette hair covered her pale complexion and delicate features. Her slender body rested again my own as I wrapped my towel around her.

As she slept, I admired the sound and the view of the ocean as the mild water lapped at our feet. The seagulls were swooping low looking for food, but kept quiet, as if they could sense the romantic atmosphere that was in motion. The crabs scuttled around us as if we were protected by an invisible shield and as the people started to walk back to their beds, she began to rouse from her slumber.

It was then that I felt the water slip away from beneath us and I saw the crabs and the seagulls scuttle or fly away from the crashing waves of the sea.

She stirred and I pointed out towards the rising giant moving towards us.

In a frantic panic, we stood and ran towards higher ground. She looked back and I followed her gaze as the wave crashed into the beach front and claimed its first few victims.

We continued our frantic run, but as we looked back her foot fell deep into a pothole and I tried to help her, time slowed and the wave pulled her back to the sea.

I lept out and reached for her slender fingers, but watched as they brushed against my palm quicker than any mortal mans reaction time.

Search and rescue were called, but there was nothing they could do as most of the victims had drowned already or been pulled into an area so deep, that they would require special equipment.

In a fit of rage and desperation, I dived into the deep sea to claim my wife back.

The salty water stung my eyes, but I could make out her slender body and brunette hair and swum ever deeper, closing in on her lifeless form.

Behind me, I could hear a few splashes as the search and rescue team tried to stop me from my mad adventure.

Oblivious to their calls and my pounding lungs, begging for breath, I continued deeper and deeper as her body slipped further away.

As I reached out, to take hold of her hand, I felt myself being pulled up to surface.

Weeks later, I was told that it was a projected image, and that she would have been further out by then. Much further out...

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 am
Noelle says...

Hi there!

This was a great story. I felt like I was actually in the character's head and I could feel the pain he felt. I like how you looked back on this event as a memory. It's much better that way because you don't get the adrenaline rush from being in the moment and then overlook the emotion.

Great job! Keep writing! :)
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

Random avatar

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm
YW1996 says...

Thanks, it is my first story in months. I sort of lost my muse with schoolwork and games getting in the way, but I thought I needed to get back to my creative side, especially with my GCSE's next year.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:33 pm
Cspr says...

Good story. There's plenty of emotion in this piece and, as the person above said, you can certainly feel the character, you feel like you get to know them in that short piece of writing.

Yet, I don't think I'm quite in the character's head completely if only because I don't understand why he's back at the beach. Of course, that's me--I hide from the bad things in life, normally. Or I face them dead on, and then ignore them. I suppose everyone wants to go back to the beach, it's beautiful, and tsunamis are rare, but--it just seems odd to me. Maybe he goes there the same way people visit cemeteries, I suppose.

Anyway, I liked it. I didn't notice any bad grammar or typos. Basically, I suppose I'll leave this here. :)
My SPD senses are tingling.

Random avatar

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 pm
YW1996 says...

Thanks for the comment and I believe he visited it the same way people visit the cemetery to remember her and to confront what he has pushed to the back of his mind for years and tried to deal with.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket