z

Young Writers Society

A Girl's Life

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm
GeekyKid says...

An uncomfortable burning sensation crept inside her as she woke up. She sat on her bed and began to cry, as she tried to figure out what had her such a situation. She sat by the window like she did everyday. She felt hatred and also felt hurt for no such reason, all she could do was try to search for the answer to why she felt this way.
She continued to sit in class and went into a dazed mood. She was unresponsive to questions, scratched herself vigorously and had a continuous flow of unimaginable images in her head. Her friends, classmates and teachers couldn't understand what was wrong with her. As she continued to wonder,she went into this daydreaming mood where she could smell that raunchy Calvin Klein cologne, she could feel sweat drop onto her body and felt herself trying to escape as if she was really there.
She proceeded through the day as the same person from morning, dazed and unresponsive. She distanced herself from everyone else, and sat alone.She never noticed the guy who she loved from first grade come in, while she was in her biology classroom by herself. As he approached her, that smell from earlier on came back again, but this time it was real. As he placed his hand on her shoulder more images flashed through her mind, this time she heard a piercing scream and shouts saying stop!!. She managed to get a glimpse of who the two people in her mind where she quickly jumped and shoved him away. She couldn't believe it, this feeling, this explainable feeling and mood that she was in, was as a result of rape. As became all clear to her, she realized that this incident occurred not to long ago, but never seemed to try to act normal and push it away.
All she could think of, was justice had to be served... One way or another!
Last edited by GeekyKid on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 pm
Gamergirl says...

I'm going to be honest and say that this didn't make a lot of sense to myself. However I may just be stupid. :D

This piece is well written, however confusing to read.

I do not know this character (her name, her looks) I do know a little of her personality. Yes, even she doesn't know why she feels the way she does but it would be quite helpful for just a little hint.

Don't know if this was any help to you :D
"Is the glass half empty? Or half full?"

"Well, if I turn on the tap I can make it full!" ~ me.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:03 pm
TheCrimsonQuill says...

Hey there! I'll be reviewing your work now :)

As she continued to wonder, she could smell that raunchy Calvin Klein perfume, she felt sweat drop onto her body and felt herself trying to escape.

Okay so I thought that this line was a little awkward. Maybe it's just me. If you want you can rephrase it.

she never noticed the guy who she has been in love with from 1st grade walked in

I thought that you can change the 'from' to 'since'.

It's good so far. Interesting, actually.
Keep writing :)
No, sir. I am not crazy. I just have a vast amount of beautiful imagination.

Spoiler! :
Imprisoned beneath is where the souless dwell.
Lies a place that the damned call home.
A place where the virtuous hide in fear.
A place we only see in our nightmares.
A place where the sun is silent...
- Alesana

Random avatar

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 pm
GeekyKid says...

Thanks for the help....it was basically supposed to be a mystery..where the readers are supposed to figure out what she went through..But thanks anyways :)

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm
SmylinG says...

Hey, Geek. . .-yKid. xD

So I like how you attempted to some up a simple and somewhat masked point of view from the main character. Though I think you may have been a bit too vague in some way. Your ending somewhat had me a little confused. Also, you described your character in the story as quote:

the most enthusiastic, alert and entertaining student in class.

Though in the length of what I had read there had been no real proof of this, so it seemed a bit far fetched to me. From what I read I only saw a sad and repressed character. There was no real explanation though as to why she was this way. I began to assume it was because of some boy, which isn't always the most original way to leave a character broken, but that's not exactly what had me bothered. As I said, I think this was a bit to vague for me to really get anything much from it. Should you skimp out on the "simple" and work more toward putting a little bit more depth into the situation and this character's feelings I think you could have had something better. Dress it up a little so there's reason to what's happening.

And as far as the ending, I'll be honest in saying I wasn't entirely sure if this was suppose to be like some sort of subtle flashback ghost story or what, but that's sort of the impression it was sending off to me as a reader. I read it over a few times and still happened upon the same theory. If I'm wrong in my guess I apologize. ;) I'm just trying to understand the story in this all. I think it'd be great if you made your ending a bit more profound rather than subtle.

I have a few nitpicks as well which I'll quote really quickly before wrapping this up:

As she continued to wonder, she could smell that raunchy Calvin Klein perfume(.) She felt sweat drop onto her body and felt herself trying to escape.

Also, shouldn't "perfume" be "cologne" here? I'm pretty sure it's a boy you're referring to in this bit here, is that right?

While in her biology classroom all by herself, she never noticed the guy who she ha(d) been in love with from (Change "from" to "since") 1st grade walk in.

Well, that's about it I suppose. A nice start I think for a first draft. Just work on making your main point of the story a little more pronounced and this would already be about 10 times more clear to read. Good luck, I know editing can be a bit of a pain sometimes but it's worth it.

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 am
Doxie00 says...

Okay so i must say that this was quite confusing. Like i had to read it atleast three times to understand -__- ...(But i admit, im also slow-minded u_u)

The story was okay! Not bad. :)

Though there was this sentence you didnt write well, which made it very confusing to read. There's something that wasnt right in this phrase. I wrote my corrections in color.

While in her biology classroom all by herself, she never noticed the guy who she has been in love with from 1st grade walked in.
She never noticed the guy who she loved since first grade, come in, while she was in her biology classroom by herself.

Isnt this better? :)
Happy writing!

Random avatar

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 am
GeekyKid says...

Thanks...for the encouragement..much better...didn't even think of that..thanks though :)

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:49 pm
View Likes
keekers11 says...

This was great. I know it's a short story but I think making it a tiny bit longer could have given it a better understanding. The first couple of sentences definitely had my attention. I loved how you described everything so precisely. Keep up the good work!

Random avatar

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 am
GeekyKid says...

Thank you keekers :)....will extend it though....

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:20 am
housecat says...

I personally don't find it too confusing. I found my own meaning when I read it. I don't know if that is within your intentions, but hey, art is what we want it to be.

You did a very nice job with imagery. It's obvious that something is wrong with this girl. What I want to know is how she feels, not how it looks like she feels. Does she feel empty, angry, confused, hopeless? Towards the end, she seems to change her priorities. The ending was a tangle to me, so I can't really give honest critique. But anyway, she goes from trying to blend into atmosphere ( or in other words, she doesn't want to be noticed, she doesn't seem to care ) to deciding that she needs to fix her problem. Well... I think that's what she was trying to do. Again, confused.

Confusion can be good though! I don't want you to think that I'm trying to change your story into something completely different. If you like it, you like it and that's great. Either way, I hope this helped and have an amazing evening!

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore